Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who Collects DVD's Just Because Of DTS Track?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently getting cought into buying dvd's that I haven't seen or don't like just because it has a DTS Audio Track.
Old 09-01-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy DVDs to watch movies.
Old 09-01-04, 05:28 PM

Don't buy a bad movie BECAUSE of DTS.

Don't pass on a good movie because it LACKS DTS.

When you have a choice, choose DTS almost always.
Old 09-01-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even know which movies I buy have DTS and which don't. I have a system that can handle DTS, but I buy DVDs of movies I like. If it has a DTS track (and few I buy do, since I tend to favor older films), all the better.
Old 09-01-04, 05:31 PM
Cool New Member

DTS is definitely a selling point for me.
Old 09-01-04, 05:59 PM

Yep I only buy DVDs based on the DTS track.
Old 09-01-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a definite plus, but I'm not obsessed to the point where I'm buying dvds of movies I don't like just because it has a DTS track on it.
Old 09-01-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yep, what Mr. Biker said
Old 09-01-04, 06:19 PM

Well, I did pick up The Haunting the other day because of the DTS track. I didn't really care for the movie, but it was only 7 bucks and change, and I remember being blown away by the audio demo the day I bought my sound system.

So in short, I'd have to say yes.
Old 09-01-04, 06:30 PM

Yep I only buy DVDs based on the DTS track.
You are sure missing out on a lot of AWESOME material. Many, many cases the Dolby Digital is superior to the DTS track. If you take the time to set the speaker levels accurately, you will understand. That being said, 8-10 times I prefer the DTS.
Old 09-01-04, 07:20 PM

After I got a SVS PC-Ultra, I suddenly became much more aware of the value of DTS tracks. I hate to admit it, but I bought Behind Enemy Lines yesterday (used for $6.99) solely because of the DTS track. I have heard it's a mediocre movie at best, but I'm itching to put some jet DTS afterburners through their paces on my system.
Old 09-01-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Who Collects DVD's Just Because Of DTS Track?

Originally posted by kar10
Idiots/People with too much money/Both.
Old 09-01-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a sucker for buying cheap movies if they have a DTS track on it.
Old 09-01-04, 07:56 PM

I understand getting caught up in things that give you the most from your home theater... but I can't understand buying a movie you'd otherwise pass up JUST because it has a better audio track. To each their own though! Basically the "nice" version of what DonnachaOne said
Old 09-01-04, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mountain Biker
It's a definite plus, but I'm not obsessed to the point where I'm buying dvds of movies I don't like just because it has a DTS track on it.
Excatly. Heck you will miss out on some great movies if you did that.
Old 09-01-04, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by demonio
I'm a sucker for buying cheap movies if they have a DTS track on it.
It gets really hard to lay off it when the price of the DVD is LESS than it cost you to eat lunch.
Old 09-01-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think its stupid to buy a DVD just because of DTS when there are a lot of movies that really don't take advantage of DTS and are mostly dialogue. Something like Master and Commander? Definitely. Out of Sight? Not so much.
Old 09-01-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Skyler

yep.
Old 09-01-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
I think its stupid to buy a DVD just because of DTS when there are a lot of movies that really don't take advantage of DTS and are mostly dialogue. Something like Master and Commander? Definitely. Out of Sight? Not so much.
There are some that I haven't seen and bestbuy is currently selling 3 for $20 in packages of 3.

The deal is so good that I was very close to buying them earlier.

The Siege (dts)
The Thin Red Line (dts)
Courage Under Fire (dts)
Old 09-01-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to admit, I am more prone to buy a DVD I already want if it has DTS. I like the DTS sound on my system - but I won't buy a movie I don't like just b/c of the sound.
Old 09-01-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Loc Nar
After I got a SVS PC-Ultra, I suddenly became much more aware of the value of DTS tracks. I hate to admit it, but I bought Behind Enemy Lines yesterday (used for $6.99) solely because of the DTS track. I have heard it's a mediocre movie at best, but I'm itching to put some jet DTS afterburners through their paces on my system.
Can I ask what that value is? Granted I haven't upgraded my cheap ass sub to an SVS yet but the LFE on DTS is sometimes a bit hotter. Also the entire track is usually mixed louder so what did you gain with the SVS that equalling out the level can't get you on a DD track?

For the record I only go for DTS discs when it's definitely a better mix. I buy for the A/V quality and not how it's labeled.
Old 09-02-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought a home theater system and now I'm going back to see which of my titles actually have DTS and I'm finding that a LOT of the movie I already bought have DTS on them. But, I didn't buy them for the DTS soundtrack. But, I DID do some forward thinking and bought Apollo 13 and Saving Private Ryan in DTS format for cheap knowing someday I'll get a sound system.
Old 09-02-04, 08:43 AM
boe
Suspended

DTS

If I know a movie is being released with a DTS track, I'll always wait for that version. I hate it when a movie is released a year later in DTS because I have double dipped for a few.

"DD sounds just as good, it is the effort they put into the recording mix that makes the difference, yada yada yada" - Whatever - to me 90% of the time when I switch to DTS it sounds better (not just louder). And yes I have calibrated my system thoroughly and yes I have a pretty high end system - I'm an engineer, I could do no less.

I understand the compression nature of recording, so please let's not go there. I've read so many threads where one person mentions the technical specs regarding compression while another counters with details on the equipment and so forth. Most read like an argument between a woman and a guy. No real common thread and totally different aspects of the topic. I don't think I've read one where anyone mentions apples to apples. Or they pick one minor detail instead of comparing all the specs that are involved in the mix.

I'd suggest searching the web for actual comparisons by professionals, not just some argumentative issues by people who are very zealous about what is better. The truth is both can be very good and both can be very bad. I could care less about why the DTS track is usually better on the DVD's I own, all I care about is getting the best DVD I can for my favorite movies.
Old 09-02-04, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by chipmac
Can I ask what that value is? Granted I haven't upgraded my cheap ass sub to an SVS yet but the LFE on DTS is sometimes a bit hotter. Also the entire track is usually mixed louder so what did you gain with the SVS that equalling out the level can't get you on a DD track?

For the record I only go for DTS discs when it's definitely a better mix. I buy for the A/V quality and not how it's labeled.
I'm no A/V scientist, but after I got the Ultra, I finally took the time to calibrate all my speakers with an SPL meter and the Video Essentials disc. Don't get me wrong, once calibrated, DD5.1 tracks sound great also, but when I did an A/B comparison on titles such as Master and Commander and the Lord of the Rings Extended discs, the DTS tracks, in my opinion, showed through with greater clarity, imaging, and depth. Also, it sounded/felt like the bass in the DTS mix hit harder and with more precision (i.e. less boomy). Could that have been an illusion caused by the greater clarity, depth and separation heard in the fronts and surrounds? Perhaps. But, for all of those reasons, that's what I mean by the DTS track adding value. I agree you can't overgeneralize that DTS mixes always sound better, but at least on those titles they sounded better to me.
Old 09-02-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Skyler

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.