Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Matthew Sweet: Living Things (9/7)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one snuck up on me as Amazon had recommended it for me and I never knew it was coming out.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000590551

The article mentions an Oct. 19th US release date, but Amazon has it scheduled for release next Tuesday (Sept. 7th).

Sounds like a mostly acoustic album.

The article also mentions a North American tour later this year. Oh, yeah!
Old 08-31-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sweet! He's one of my favorite artists. Always great to have a new album from him. Two are even better!

I already have Kimi Ga Suki * Raifu and it's quite good. Now I can buy an - ahem - official copy of it. Not having a real job, I couldn't justify paying a $33 + shipping import price for this (or pretty much any album), but I'd definitely shell out $14 for a legit copy.

Hopefully he'll play in Columbus. I've seen him live once - touring in support of Girlfriend back in 1992 (or maybe it was 1993). I still wear the concert shirt from time to time, even though at this point it's getting kinda ratty.
Old 09-01-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to be a huge fan of Matthew Sweet, "Girlfriend" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I love love loved him in concert, but during his "100% Fun"-era I lost interest. I really missed the twin guitar attack by Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine, they really elevated each song from good to *****ing awesome. Plus the production started to get a little too polished. I can't speak about the albums after "Blue Sky On Mars" (didn't like that album at all)
Old 09-01-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oooh . . an acoustic tour from Matthew Sweet sounds awesome.
Old 09-01-04, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by darqleo
I used to be a huge fan of Matthew Sweet, "Girlfriend" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I love love loved him in concert, but during his "100% Fun"-era I lost interest. I really missed the twin guitar attack by Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine, they really elevated each song from good to *****ing awesome. Plus the production started to get a little too polished. I can't speak about the albums after "Blue Sky On Mars" (didn't like that album at all)
I agree for the most part -- "100% Fun" was OK (and "Sick of Myself" is just an awesome single), but "Blue Sky"... ergh. I found "In Reverse" to be close to "Girlfriend" and "Altered Beast" in enjoyment, though it's a heavily, heavily produced album with a definite "wall of sound" texture, so I don't know if you'd like it. The two "new" songs on his greatest hits CD are also pretty good. "Kimi Ga Suki" sits on my shelf unopened (I bought when it was released here independently on Amazon and a few independent record stores; I didn't know until I read one of the new press releases that it's getting a full-blown distribution deal).

In any case, I'd at least give "In Reverse" a shot.

Because of the acoustic nature of the new album, I'm probably gonna hold off until the reviews. (Mostly because, sound unheard, it makes me think of gentler, "less rockin'," and that's not why I listen to Sweet.

But I'll definitely see him in concert.
Old 09-01-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Man it's been too long since In Reverse. I can't wait. Matthew Sweet is what Paul McCartney's solo career should have been like.
Old 09-03-04, 09:04 PM

I found a copy of Living Things at a local Borders today, and my first impression is that it's not bad, but not great either. A solid effort. The tracks sound reasonably full-blooded because of the the full band backing, but I do prefer the electricified Sweet. The first track bizarrely inserts steel drum among the other instruments, which made it my probably my least favorite track. The disc comes in a digipak, which I don't like, given their propensity to fall apart.
Old 09-04-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darqleo
I bought Girlfriend when it came out and I agree that it's a terrific album. But I think a lot of his best stuff is on other albums.

100% Fun is an especially underrated album, you should give it a second chance. It has a ton of solid songs on it, Smog Moon being one of the best MS ever wrote.

But you are really missing out if you haven't heard "In Reverse". I think it's his best album. Lots of "Pet Sounds" type stuff combined with crunchy rock tunes.
Old 09-06-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by cungar
Matthew Sweet is what Paul McCartney's solo career should have been like.
Bah! Sweet hasn't recorded a single track as solid as "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey". NOT. A. SINGLE. TRACK.

the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie
Old 09-07-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Here's a link to what looks like a press release:
http://www.bighassle.com/a_matthew_sweet.html

Billboard got the release dates wrong. Living Things comes out today, while Kimi Ga Suki will be released Oct. 19.
Old 09-09-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As big a Matthew Sweet fan as I am really upset that I let this news sneak in under my radar!!! How did I not know??????

I really hope he is going to tour. I haven't seen him since 1995. The club here was supposed to have him but they decided to book James instead. Then when James cancelled I said "Oh that figures, they bump Matthew Sweet for those STIFFS and then they cancel!!".