Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on my newest cds

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious as to your thoughts on the following artist. These are my newest CDs.

Billy Talent: Self titled. I love it. Very solid, no filler, didnt have to grow on cuz I liked it instantly (altho most CDs that gro won me are my favorites). Love the energy and I would love to see them live.

Thrice:Artist in the Ambulance. This one grew on me. Love how it meshes harder sounds with melody.

Franz Ferdinand. Very disappointing, not a horrible album but this is the one I expected the most from but enjoy the least.

The Killer:Hot Fuss.Just got this one last week so Ive only heard it completely 2 or 3 times. This might be premature but if it has staying power itll easily be one of favorite albums ever. I really love this style of music. It has an 80s vibe which to me is a breathe of fresh air. Being only 19 yrs. old, I didnt get a chance to experience and enjoy Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, etc.. so this is great for me.
Old 08-28-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Your thoughts on my newest cds

Originally posted by gmal2003
Franz Ferdinand. Very disappointing, not a horrible album but this is the one I expected the most from but enjoy the least.
Agreed. I had high hopes for this based on the video (still think it's the best video I've seen in ages), but it's a very repetitive CD.

I stuck mine of half.com and sold it in abot 20 minutes, so somebody must be interested in it.
Old 08-28-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Im tempted to sale mine too, but ill keep it.
Old 08-28-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Billy Talent

I saw them at Warped Tour this year. They were one of the highlights.
Old 08-29-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Killers have the best album of the year.

Franz Ferdinand I like as well. I was underwhelmed at first, because of all the hype. I like the cd quite a bit now.
Old 08-29-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrice's album, while kinda old by now, is still amazing.
Old 08-29-04, 02:25 PM

I was also diappointed in Franz Ferdinand.

Killers Hot Fuss is great and due mostly to shear volume of hooks on the CD it has had great replay value. Worthy investment.

Do you have The Stills, Logic Will Break Your Heart? (this could very well be a stupid question ;-P). It's another great retro 80's, but with less glam. More like Echo and the Bunnymen.

I look forward to checking out Billy Talent.
Old 08-29-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i agree with everything that has been said about the killers.

i hope everyone has heard the song that was replaced on the US release by "Change your Mind." IT is called "indie rock and roll" and may be better than anything on Hot Fuss.
Old 08-29-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you liked The Killers, go check out the new album from Head Automatica.

Head Automatica's style of music is more in tune of The Killers's music (than say Franz Ferdinand) but it suffers from some of the repetitiveness that the Franz's album suffers from (but overall, it's a much better album than Franz's).
Old 08-29-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great replies everyone. Jaspo, I do like the Stills quite a bit (same reasons as the Killers). I will be checkin out all of the suggestions of other artists. Thanx
Old 08-30-04, 02:18 PM

Your collection sux!
Old 08-30-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by deadlax
i agree with everything that has been said about the killers.

i hope everyone has heard the song that was replaced on the US release by "Change your Mind." IT is called "indie rock and roll" and may be better than anything on Hot Fuss.

Yeah I have the mp3 UK version and the retail US, i like Indie R&R too, but it's panned as being the worst song on the album, mainly because the lyrics are so cliched
Old 08-31-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love critics. when a song has no pop hook but great lyrics they'll pan it. when a song has a great pop hook and no lyrics they'll pan it. but they fucking glorify every piece of shit boy/girl band as the second coming when their lyrics and music suck ass.
Old 08-31-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If thats a reference to iggystar, that was a joke. We bought the Killers at the same time and bought Billy Talent shortly after hearing mine.

If not, I agree with your negative feelings towards some critics. I think critics, professional or casual, may at times prejudge some forms of music instead of giving it an honest listen.
Old 08-31-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no, i was talking about music critics, the professionals, in Frank TJ Mackey's post.
Old 08-31-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Opps, my bad! . Any whoo I rarely listen to music critics. Unlike movies IMO, you gotta try music out for yourself.
Old 08-31-04, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm actually underwhelmed by the Killers album.

Perhaps it has something to do with being from Las Vegas. I've got a few of their demos and saw them live before any of the hype hit. They don't sound like the same band. Not sure what kind of effects they had to place on Brandon's voice to make it sound like he could actually carry a tune, but the guy cannot sing nearly that well on a stage. It's also a bit disheartening that they got the hell out of Vegas as quickly as they could, haven't played here in a long, long time and are now exploiting the Vegas angle every chance they get.

When they left Vegas, they were a mediocre 80s tribute band. A little over a year later, they reemerge completely different. Image over substance, for sure. What's disheartening is that there are many really good Vegas bands that get paid no notice, and these clowns get to represent us to the world as "Vegas Rock."

That being said, "Mr. Brightside" is a pretty great song. It's too bad the rest of the disc couldn't live up to it.