Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guild Wars (PC) Free World Preview Event (10/29-10/31)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 11:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

ArenaNet is offering another FREE preview of GuildWars on 10/29-10/31...similar to the "E3 for Everyone" event from back in May. After that, they'll have one event a month for those who pre-order the game, until it's finally released.

The details:

The Event:

ArenaNet and NCsoft are proud to announce the second Guild Wars World Preview Event! During the last three days of October, players from around the world are invited to play Guild Wars and enjoy a completely new Guild Wars experience. The World Preview event offers two new regions, new cooperative quests, a new strategic battlefield for arena combat, new items and monsters, the ability to level-up your character, and for the first time you can start forming guilds, experiencing guild warfare and building your guild rank. And of course, with our streaming technology, we have a few ideas we intend to share with you during the event...

Your new experience includes:

2 New regions for exploration and adventure -- The Kingdom of Kryta and The Wilds -- each with its own beautiful environment, persistent town and instanced hunting grounds

Experience Guild-on-Guild war for the first time in addition to tournament and arena team combat

5 New cooperative missions that continue the Guild Wars story

New character development and abilities -- sample a host of new skills and elite skills for developing your characters and team strategy

Experience the Guild Wars leveling process -- the Preview event players will start at level 15 and can advance up to level 20

Guild functionality - during the duration of the event players will have the ability to form guilds, name guild leaders and to build their guild rank by competing against other teams in tournament combat

Observer mode - for the first time, players will now have opportunity to watch and learn from other teams in combat by using observer mode, which allows them to monitor live tournament and arena battles

And more! Details to follow in the coming weeks...

Your ticket -- Two ways into the event:

The Guild Wars World Preview Client will be available FREE from www.guildwars.com and leading gaming websites

Purchase the Guild Wars Pre-Order Product and obtain access to the World Preview Event and access to all of the subsequent Guild Wars Beta Events. The Pre-Order will be available at leading retailers in mid-September. For more information about the Guild Wars Pre-order, please see our Guild Wars Pre-Order FAQ.

System Specs:

Required System Specs:

Windows XP/2000/ME/98
800 MHz Pentium III or equivalent
256 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX with 32MB of video memory
500 MB hard drive space
Internet connection
DirectX 8.0
Recommended System Specs:

Windows XP/2000/ME/98
Pentium III 1GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series with 64MB of video memory
500 MB free hard drive space
Internet connection
One thing not mentioned above is that if you still have the "E3 for Everyone" client installed, you can use it for the World Preview Event.
Old 10-22-04, 10:14 AM

The event is now just one week away!

For those unfamiliar with Guild Wars, it's the first game from Arena.net, a company founded by some ex-Blizzard folks behind the Diablo games. The best way to describe it is as a hybrid between a typical MMORPG (such as Everquest) with arena-type combat games (such as Unreal Tournament).

So you can play Player vs. Environment ("Slay the monster") or you can jump in the arena for a variety Player vs. Player games as well. A nice mix for all kinds of players.

And, as the name implies there is a lot of Guild functionality too (although there's fun stuff for non-affiliated players as well).

And if you like what you see in the free preview, and decide to buy the game, the biggest advantage it has over most other commericial MMORPG is no monthly fee. You buy the game once, and you're done! Perfect for casual players such as myself who aren't going to be on night after night.

More info can be found at the Official Website.
Old 10-28-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They opened it up early it seems.

I must say, I didn't like the E3 preview at all, but it is MUCH better now. I have had a blast so far.

Even though it is an MMORPG it feels much more like a single player one, a nice change of pace after playing World of Warcraft for a while.
Old 10-28-04, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
They opened it up early it seems.
Thanks for the heads up! (They did that with the E3 preview as well).
I must say, I didn't like the E3 preview at all, but it is MUCH better now. I have had a blast so far.
Good to hear that they've improved the game (better than sliding the other way). I look forward to poking around this weekend.
Even though it is an MMORPG it feels much more like a single player one, a nice change of pace after playing World of Warcraft for a while.
One thing I liked about the game during the E3 preview was the ability to go off by yourself...if you wanted. Choice is always a good thing.
Old 10-29-04, 01:58 PM

I had a chance to play this a bit yesterday.

Like Flashburn, I think the game has improved overall since E34E. The graphics were good before, but now they're even better...and yet it runs smoothly on my system. A lot more options to customize the look of your character this time around too. There are more skills to choose from, and they seem to be better balanced from before.

When I first logged on, downloads were really s-l-o-w when entering a new area. Turned out to be a server-side problem, and later on in the evening I got much better times...even though by then there were a lot more people logging on.

The world map is a lot bigger now, and the game has a much more "epic" feel too it. Most of the good aspects of the game have been carried forward...with the exception of the new system for acquiring "elite" skills, which seems a bit wonky to me.

I'll be off and on all weekend. Give a shout out if you see my character (a Monk/Ranger named Groucho Marx).
Old 10-30-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have played for a few hours. took me a bit to figure out how to fight and where to get a weapon. I am using a Ranger/Elementialist. I am not a person who likes playing games with strangers much. so I have been just playing my character by himself. I might try joining with another team at some point this weekend to see how it goes.

I wish I could figure out how to salvage those salvage items. I have a small salvage kit I can not seem to get to work.
Old 10-31-04, 09:55 AM

Double click the salvage kit, and then click on the item you want to salvage. You can salvage anything you don't want, including swords, shields, whatever. If you find a Vial of Dye, you can apply it to your clothes in the same fashion.

I like the new Henchmen options as they do allow solo gaming to be a true option. You'd get your butt kicked in PvP, but I've taken them along in the exploration areas and they're a big help (especially the Monk). They're also nice "filler" if you can't get a complete group together.

I joined a guild, but there doesn't seem to be very many guild features implemented yet.
Old 10-31-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Double click the salvage kit, and then click on the item you want to salvage. You can salvage anything you don't want, including swords, shields, whatever. If you find a Vial of Dye, you can apply it to your clothes in the same fashion.

I like the new Henchmen options as they do allow solo gaming to be a true option. You'd get your butt kicked in PvP, but I've taken them along in the exploration areas and they're a big help (especially the Monk). They're also nice "filler" if you can't get a complete group together.

I joined a guild, but there doesn't seem to be very many guild features implemented yet.
Thanks. I was able to salvage some things and got some henchmen together and solved a few quests. I was beaten back by the Wilds and that Blade character.

Some tough monsters in that area.

I am about 400 exp from 17th although I guess that does not matter since this ends this weekend I guess.

Not sure if I would buy it. I am not a huge play with others kind of gamer and the single player is only ok.Still it seems like a good game for those who do like playing with others