Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins

http://www.steampowered.com/index.ph...57175699147600

Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins to Steam account holders today. Over the coming days, those who have selected the pre-loading option will have encrypted Half-Life 2 files delivered to their PC. No purchase is required to pre-load HL2, but is required to activate the game. Purchase options will be released soon. Then, the moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be authenticated and ready to start playing. For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.
I've been pretty skeptical up to this point, but now I'm thinking Half-Life 2 might actually make it's September 30th release date. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-27-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know Valve hasn't actually given another release date since missing the September 30th deadline last year. Doug Lombardi mentioned awhile back that they were planning to send a release candidate to Vivendi sometime in mid-August but I'm not sure if they actually did or not.
Old 08-27-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During E3, they were really pimping out a September release date.

Who has been playing CS:Source? I find it fun to play with the rag doll physics, but it's pretty much the same ol' counter strike. Should jump on the pre-loading considering I have the ati serial # attached to my steam.
Old 08-27-04, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to play CS source... how do I get to it?
Old 08-27-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I'd like to play CS source... how do I get to it?
To get it at home, I believe you had to buy Condition Zero. I'm not sure that if you buy Condition Zero now, you'd have the option to download CS: Source or if it's too late altogether. In any case, it's available at certain Steam-friendly internet cafes.

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=cafe_directory
Old 08-27-04, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of getting this via Steam rather than getting the CD?
Old 08-27-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's supposed to be cheaper and give you (somewhat) instant gratification.
Old 08-27-04, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
It's supposed to be cheaper and give you (somewhat) instant gratification.
But isn't there a monthly fee with Steam? So, overall it's not going to be cheaper unless you are already a subscriber, no?
Old 08-27-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
But isn't there a monthly fee with Steam? So, overall it's not going to be cheaper unless you are already a subscriber, no?
You can be a free user, I think. I installed it on my PC when Half-Life 2.5, that Gordon Freeman side-scroller came out and they didn't charge me.
Old 08-27-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no fee associated with Steam that I know of outside of that you can buy games off of it. If you're a cyber cafe I believe you have to pay a charge for Steam use, maybe that's where you're confusing things.

My best guess at the reason you'd want to do this is they could push out the rest as soon as the game went gold, giving you who knows how long to play the game before people get the box copy and possibly for less than retail price. That's just guessing though, it'll be interesting to see what they do.
Old 08-27-04, 08:59 AM

I guess I'll have to do some homework.

I played on Steam when it was in Beta. What a nightmare! When it worked, it was fun...but that was rare. I understand it's better now, which is good. But at the time, they were saying that when Steam went live there would be a monthly fee. Or perhaps I'm just losing my mind.
Old 08-27-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here you go:

Is Steam Really Free? straight off of the Steam Website.
Old 08-27-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Steam has gotten a lot better since beta. I haven't played much since the beta and then I jumped on and had no problem. their is no charge for steam and you need to go through steam in order to play online now a days anyways (using your cd key)
Old 08-27-04, 10:04 AM

Have they announced how much the game will be if downloaded via Steam? I couldn't find anything.
Old 08-27-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I read somewhere that it was actually going to be full retail price through steam, so 49.95. You're more likely to get it cheaper at a store.
Old 08-27-04, 03:09 PM

If you're planning on buying HL2 -- over Steam or otherwise -- there really isn't a reason not to pre-load it. (Other than not wanting to d/l a little over a gig of data.) Even if you buy a boxed copy it still installs to your Steam folder, so you'll be able to use the pre-loaded content to make your install quicker.

As far as what you're downloading with the pre-load: I believe it's textures, sounds, etc. ... stuff that won't change between now and when HL2 goes gold.

Last edited by No Use For A Name; 08-27-04 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-27-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can download the CS source if you have one of those nifty hallife 2 coupons from the ATI cards. You supposedly (from what i read) put in your serial in the steam program somewhere and it unlocks the CS source on your harddrive.
Old 08-28-04, 10:01 PM

But What is the deal if you're going to buy the box?

Install would be no more than 10 minutes, so WTF with all the pre-loading excitement?! I don't get it.
Old 08-28-04, 10:03 PM

If you pre-load, and buy the box, you don't have to install. Just enter your CD-Key and away you go!
Old 08-29-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Install would be no more than 10 minutes, so WTF with all the pre-loading excitement?! I don't get it
Game goes gold and then has to be mass produced, packaged and shipped to stores.

The moment it goes gold I'm pretty sure they send you the remaining info over steam if you pre-loaded it and you get to play it the day it goes gold. Atleast that's what I figure one advantage to it will be.

I have the free ATI coupons so I just pre-loaded it regardless. I own about 8 versions of HL so I know I'll be buying a disc version down the line anyways. Good thing to have handy though and if I can play it the moment it's done then even better.