Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cheaper way to get a new ps2 controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheaper way to get a new ps2 controller

my dog ate my ps2 controller this morning, so i needed to get a replacement.. went to the store and all the sony ones were 24.99... the cheapest 3rd party ones were 14.99, but i'm always scared that they will not have the same feel.. so I was facing a dilmena . then I noticed the PS1 accessories and they had PS1 controllers with analog for $9.99... on the back of the package, it says that it will work with a ps2... so I got a ps2 sony controller for $10.81 out of the store... and the white controller has a nice contrast to my black ps2... just an fyi
Old 08-21-04, 02:27 PM

I might be wrong, but I believe the ps2 controllers are touch-sensitive on all buttons—including the d-pad—while the ps1 controllers are not.
Old 08-21-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonnyrocks
I might be wrong, but I believe the ps2 controllers are touch-sensitive on all buttons—including the d-pad—while the ps1 controllers are not.
I believe that's correct. Although it's up to the individual game whether or not it's used. The theory is that you could, say, push the CIRCLE button to punch, and the harder you pushed it, the harder your character would punch...

Using the X for a gas pedal would be another example of the touch sensitive nature of these things... although I don't know how much this actually affects gameplay.
Old 08-21-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The biggest thing is that not all PS1 controllers will work with ps2 games. I lent my gf's brother Kingdom Hearts and his Dual Shock did not register, it kept saying "Please insert Dual Shock 2 Controller" I brought one over and it worked fine.