Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to get Movie Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where to get movie posters either online or at stores? I saw AllPosters, but is there anywhere else cheaper possibly? Thanks!!
Old 08-21-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Besides AllPosters.com, there's MoviePosters.com, but prices are usually in the $15 or so range at both, except for sales specials (AllPosters.com currently has a $2.98 sale going on now).
Old 08-21-04, 06:35 PM

I got some from art.com about a month ago. They have another 25% off everything sale going on right now. You can get some nice deals, particularly on older stuff. I picked up six the last time(Jaws, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, etc.) for about 60ish dollars shipped.
Old 08-21-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best place to get Donnie Darko Directors Cut poster besides ebay?
Old 08-21-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you are looking for not-full-size older posters, the place I go is Bruce Hershenson. I've bought a bunch of these older reprints and they look terrific. And they're cheap too, only $10 a piece, so if you plan on framing them, it is a lot cheaper overall.
Old 08-21-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
art.com has some kick-ass Transformer posters (by Pat Lee). Very tempting.
Old 08-22-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like www.ricksmovie.com.
Old 08-22-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 11X17 size poster look really awesome! Been collecting a few of those.
Old 08-22-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
The 11X17 size poster look really awesome! Been collecting a few of those.
Yeah, they are just the right size for a small section of wall that looks too plain, like in the bathroom. I grabbed about 10 of these recently when I was in Minneapolis at the Electric Fetus. Still haven't framed any of them, but I am planning to eventually.
Old 08-22-04, 02:28 PM

www.moviemarket.com
www.pixposters.com
www.nostalgia.com
www.movieposter.com
www.moviegoods.com
www.ricksmovie.com

Be careful to discern the original poster from the reprints that I mostly see at www.allposters.com

Warning, I have had a bad experience or two with Nostalgia, though they have alot of hard to find posters.
Old 08-22-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems like a lot of these poster for new movies are
about $25 or something.

That just seems ridiculous to me, when video stores and sometimes the theatres give these things away after their done.

E-bay is the way to go. Hardly any auctions for movie poster would ever go above 20 bucks unless it was some "special" movie like Star Wars or LOTR.
Old 08-22-04, 09:55 PM

You can't buy original print of movie posters. It's illegal, but you can buy reprints. A lot of art stores and poster stores have them.
Old 08-23-04, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by arthur_dent
You can't buy original print of movie posters. It's illegal, but you can buy reprints. A lot of art stores and poster stores have them.
Yes you can, that silly little law blinked out of existence in the early 90's. It was meant solely to prevent theaters from profitting off the posters rather than using them for promotion, as they were intended.

By the way, to another poster that mentioned that video stores give these away, those arent movie posters, they are video posters, a distinction that only matters to collectors like me. If you cant tell the difference, might as well just buy a reprint.
Old 08-23-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by FinkPish
Yeah, they are just the right size for a small section of wall that looks too plain, like in the bathroom. I grabbed about 10 of these recently when I was in Minneapolis at the Electric Fetus. Still haven't framed any of them, but I am planning to eventually.
You're right. They are great for those small sections on a wall that just need something. Finding a frame is pretty tough. I'm looking at this website. http://www.frameplace.com/xposters.htm I'm forced to buy it online. The frame/art stores are just charging way too much to build a frame this size.
Old 08-23-04, 08:48 AM

www.posterplanet.net
Old 08-23-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like Allposters.com since they often have pretty big sales and coupons
Old 08-23-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're looking for original prints, I strongly recommend you go shop at Larry Edmunds Cinema Books on Hollywood Boulevard if you're ever in L.A. - or simply log on to larryedmunds.com. They have a crapload of old stuff.

I came back from my trip with an original one sheet for Mark Robson's THE PRIZE for 30 bucks - mind you it's no the best flick ever, but it's a great poster, design-wise. I had it framed and it's a cool addition to my living room.
Old 08-23-04, 08:19 PM

If you guys are concerned about wall space, or cost of framing, you should look into australian daybills, or us inserts.

The average size is 13x30 and look excellent framed. They are also becoming quite rare. In some cases they are more rare than the one sheet, and most can be had at reasonable prices.

Another cool thing about daybills is they usually have alternate artwork than the one sheet.
Old 08-24-04, 06:25 AM

Allposters.com is what I've always used. I'm sittin in a room with 9 posters from there as we speak (and since you are all dying to know, those posters are: LOTR:Fellowship, Iron Giant, Princess Bride, Say Anything, Memento, Shawshank Redemption, Braveheart, Buffy:TVS Musical episode, and a Transformer poster that is just the Autobot symbol).
Old 08-24-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
thanks for the links rushmore. I have been looking at a couple of posters on ebay. I deleted them off my watch list and ordered from movieposters. Both are reprints, but that is fine the originals go for too much $$ on ebay.

They were E.T. and Jaws.
Old 08-24-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
www.movieposter.com has been my favorite place for years. Haven't had a problem w/ them yet.