Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

is it legally possible for Dogville to be nominated for american awards in 2005?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

is it legally possible for Dogville to be nominated for american awards in 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the movie came to america this year, but in other countries last year,is it possible to be nominated for american awards like the oscars or the golden globes?
Old 08-20-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Yes. It is eligible for nominations the year it is released in the States.

I remember that Mexican sex movie (which is beloved on the forum, so someone will probabely yell at me for not remembering it's title) was nominated for Best Forgein film one year, and the fallowing year, after it was released in the US, it was eligible to be nominated for Best Screenplay.
Old 08-20-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Y Tu Mama Rambien"
Old 08-20-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same deal with Hero. It was nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar in 2002 and is finally getting it's Stateside release this year, so it could be in contention for Oscars as well.
Old 08-20-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Legally possible" Haha As if someone were to nominate it, they would be arrested on the spot.
Old 08-20-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Rypro,

What nominations do you think Dogville deserves?
Old 08-20-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Same deal with Hero. It was nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar in 2002 and is finally getting it's Stateside release this year, so it could be in contention for Oscars as well.
i thought that once a movie has been nominated one year, it can't be nominated again.
Old 08-20-04, 09:49 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
If it was submitted in the Foreign Language category by it's country during one year, but not released in L.A. county until one or 2 years later, it is still eligible for any award other than Foreign Language film.
Old 08-20-04, 09:50 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Rypro 525,

By the way, I think "Dogville" is easily one of the year's ten best so far...
Old 08-21-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Nicole Kidman gets some sort of recognition for her amazing performance in this small film.
Old 08-22-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by QuikSilver
I hope Nicole Kidman gets some sort of recognition for her amazing performance in this small film.
I don't think she would want it since she refused to do the rest of the films in the trilogy. She has since been replaced with Bryce Dallas Howard.
Old 08-22-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
"Y Tu Mama Tambien"

Fixed.

And yes it can be considered as others have said.
Old 08-26-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i attempted to watch the movie last night but couldn't get through the first hour and 15 minutes. it was so god damn slow, and literally nothing happened. i also couldn't get past that the entire movie took place on a blueprint.
Old 08-26-04, 01:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Rypro 525
and literally nothing happened.
allow me to try to explain what was happening. dogville is an allegory. each character represents something beyond an individual. and the town of dogville represents humanity, although by the film’s end it’s clearly meant to represent a peculiar section of humanity -- americans. allegory distances us from the real world and allows us to see more concisely the way things are.

in this light, the film is about a nation that believes itself to be the bearer of freedom and justice to the world -- a belief that often contradicts the nation’s actions toward it’s own citizens. one of the most common criticisms of america by foreigners is that we don’t practice what we preach.

but for me, dogville makes more sense when seen as a religious film rather than a political one. the film specifically sets itself up as having a God-like point-of-view. the title cards are providential, telling the viewer what will happen before it does. the opening shot is literally a God-like POV: it descends from a height and looks down upon the town and its chalk outlines. the wall-less, roof-less sets mean that everything is visible at all times. the eyes of God see all.

"Grace" (kidman) becomes a christ-like theological signifier of grace, an eternally suffering servant. and what are the consequences of rejecting the saving grace of christ, as the townspeople reject Grace? damnation, according to every christian denomination that claims such a thing is possible and knowable.

Spoiler:
a relevant scene is near the end between Grace and her father who has come to rescue her from the abuse she suffered at the hands of the townspeople. Grace begins the conversation wanting to save them, but her father talks her out of it on the basis of the necessity for judgment. it's not that we have to stand on one side or the other, it’s more that both justice and mercy have to come on the same side.

Last edited by cygnet74; 08-26-04 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
What nominations do you think Dogville deserves?
Art Direction
Old 08-26-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought it was sleep inducing... someday I'll sit through the whole thing, hopefully.
Old 08-27-04, 09:22 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I have to say, cygnet74's description of the film was spot-on wonderful. After seeing it last year at Toronto, a friend of mine told me he thought Dogville was "the most compelling justification for the existence of hell" he'd ever encountered.

A true masterpiece.
Old 08-27-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm..first people call out 'The Element of Crime' as a Criterion stinker and now people are saying Dogville was boring and sleep-induced. So long Lars Von Trier looks like I won't be giving you a chance.
Old 08-27-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Hmm..first people call out 'The Element of Crime' as a Criterion stinker and now people are saying Dogville was boring and sleep-induced. So long Lars Von Trier looks like I won't be giving you a chance.
Don't take my word for it...
Old 09-02-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
While I admire a lot about the movie technically, it is just so overwhelmingly cynical and bleak that I can't recommend it. It's not "Anti-American," it's just "anti." All rage and no hope. I appreciate what Von Trier is trying to say, but I don't agree with it or his movie.