Reload this Page >

If I buy the new Monster Legacy 2 ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-18-04, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I have the 1st collection is there any reason to keep,
Universal's Classic Monster Collection other than to just have Phanthom of the opera?

I havent watched much of the Legacy Set but quality looked the same
Old 08-18-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I sold off all my old discs for the new sets with the exception of Phantom. I made a huge profit and was able to buy the new Legacy Monster DVDs and several other box sets I wanted.

The only issues with the first Legacy collection was the soundtrack on Dracula was slightly different, but neither version released on DVD so far is 100% correct. The collection was also missing the Wolfman photo gallery.

I haven't heard what the features are for the new sets, but I'm sure all the documentaries and commentaries will be on there along with some new stuff.

The one old disc you should absolutely hold on to is the original release of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. The excellent commentary and documentary on that disc is not included on the new franchise release.
Old 08-18-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
The one old disc you should absolutely hold on to is the original release of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. The excellent commentary and documentary on that disc is not included on the new franchise release.
This wasn't included in the original Classic Monster Collection box set, was it?
Old 08-18-04, 03:53 PM

I think the 'Wolfman Legacy" set also dropped the trailer for "THE WOLFMAN" which was on the original DVD release in the original Monsters box set. Don't know why they didn't include the trailer on the re-release, but that seems to be the only extra (plus the photo gallery???) that was dropped from any of the re-issued Legacy titles.

Don't be too quick in selling off your original CREATURE yet, though - you never know what Universal will do with their next Legacy releases. On the positive side, some of the Legacy transfers are better than the original box set transfers (the Legacy set improved BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN's framing and thankfully added back the ambient noise (plus hiss) to FRANKENSTEIN. However, as darkside noted above, things can go the opposite way as well. The Legacy version of DRACULA has a couple of minor audio glitches (sound effects missing) that were intact on the original disc. And I've read a couple of reviews that stated some of the other re-issued monster titles (eg. -SON OF DRACULA) looked a lot better on the original discs than on the Legacy re-issues, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison myself.

I decided to just keep all of them for the time being. The original releases had great cover art AND the menu navigation screens on the original releases were way more user friendly. The Legacy titles have the most convoluted and haphazard menus I've seen on any DVD release ever (I don't have MEMENTO!). Why they felt the need to list every film title on each side of the disc's menu even though you need to flip them over to watch certain titles is beyond me. On some of the menus it seems that if you click on 90% of any of the options, it just tells you to flip over the disc! It's like a mini-puzzle to find what's actually on each side. Plus some of the extras seem to be placed on certain discs with no rhyme or reason. It looks like they just threw it all together quickly and let everything just fall in where it could fit. Still, the price on the Legacy sets are unbeatable and a phenomenal deal that these minor quibbles shouldn't matter that much.
Old 08-18-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doesn't look like the new releases are going to be available in a box set like the first set. Too bad, as I think the busts look really cool.
Old 08-18-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I would hope a Wave 3 is due out with Phantom of the Opera later but what else can be added?

Either way, these are some of my must wanted DVDs of the Fall and October cannot come fast enough as my Classic Monster Night Halloween is going to be Top Notch this year!
Old 08-18-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
This wasn't included in the original Classic Monster Collection box set, was it?
No it was a separate release like It Came From Outer Space. However, I always think of those two along with the original Classic Monster Collection since they had the involvement of David J Skal and have similar commentary and documentaries.
Old 08-19-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
I would hope a Wave 3 is due out with Phantom of the Opera later but what else can be added?
I don't think there will be a wave 3. My guess is that they'd eventually re-release Phantom as a double-feature (paired up with the Hammer version, which Universal owns). Sort of like the double-feature of Imitation of Life, released earlier this year.
Old 08-20-04, 04:05 PM

I'm hoping that there may be a boxed set released. If I recall (then again my memory sucks), the boxed set for the first set wasn't announced right away. It was also removed from the shelves and shipped back recently. It's a great box though, I love the busts.
Old 08-23-04, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by darkside
The only issues with the first Legacy collection was the soundtrack on Dracula was slightly different, but neither version released on DVD so far is 100% correct. The collection was also missing the Wolfman photo gallery.
Could you eleborate on the Dracula please? I am holding on to all my Dracula sets as I don't think the new boxset adds anything. I only gave in to the Frankenstein new set because the cropping is very marginally better in Bride of Frankenstein. Thank you.
Old 08-23-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
Could you eleborate on the Dracula please? I am holding on to all my Dracula sets as I don't think the new boxset adds anything. I only gave in to the Frankenstein new set because the cropping is very marginally better in Bride of Frankenstein. Thank you.
I believe darkside is referencing that the "death groans" at the end of the film for Dracula have been removed for the main film (however, strangely enough, they can be heard in the commentary track). This was met by many "groans" of their own by fans. Also, some of the audio during Renfield's murder has been clipped and, finally, some bat sound effects also seem nonexistent on the Legacy Release. The picture, sadly, looks better in the Universal Classic Monsters set for Dracula then it does here.

However, that said, purchasing the set is worth it alone for the wonderfully campy House of Dracula which had previously been unavailable on DVD.
Old 09-06-04, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
I believe darkside is referencing that the "death groans" at the end of the film for Dracula have been removed for the main film (however, strangely enough, they can be heard in the commentary track). This was met by many "groans" of their own by fans. Also, some of the audio during Renfield's murder has been clipped and, finally, some bat sound effects also seem nonexistent on the Legacy Release. The picture, sadly, looks better in the Universal Classic Monsters set for Dracula then it does here.

However, that said, purchasing the set is worth it alone for the wonderfully campy House of Dracula which had previously been unavailable on DVD.
Thanks for the info. Although I have been guilty of frivolous purchases before (e.g.: every single one of the endless "Mummy" sequels in the Classic Horror Collection, which are nothing more than campy dreck - buyer beware!), I think it would be especially frivolous to buy the new groan-less "Dracula" set just for the pleasure of owning "The House of Dracula".