Knights of the Old Republic 3 stalled by LucasArts lay-offs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knights of the Old Republic 3 stalled by LucasArts lay-offs

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=pub&aid=3976

Tom Bramwell 09:39 16/08/2004

More redundancies for Star Wars franchise holder as restructuring continues

Publisher LucasArts has laid off a further 31 staff from its development division, with reports indicating that the staff affected were a small team attached to early development on Knights of the Old Republic 3.

A report on US website GameSpot made the link between the layoffs and the KOTOR3 team - although LucasArts itself described the move only as "a major restructuring" of its development studio. The Californian firm had not yet announced the existence of a third instalment for the KOTOR series.

The developer issued a statement revealing that as a result of the restructuring effort, "31 people from the development studio were laid off as the company will be concentrating on fewer titles." Some reports suggest that all but one of the developer's internal projects have been canned.

LucasArts has yet to confirm that, although many of its key games are now in the hands of external firms - such as the new Star Wars Episode III title, which is being composed by Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb developer The Collective.

Predictably, the company was unwilling to focus on the issue in any detail. Its Friday statement was actually built around the appointment of a new vice president of product development - Peter Hirschmann, a two-year veteran at the company and former architect of EA's Medal of Honor series.

However, this isn't the first time in recent months that LucasArts has been in trouble. Back in April the company laid off 29 staff, and in mid July a leaked memo allegedly from president Jim Ward announced to staff that there would be no bonuses for the current year.

I can hardly wait for KOTOR 3 !

Chris
Old 08-17-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for KOTOR 2!
Old 08-17-04, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Lateralus
I'm still waiting for KOTOR 2!

LOL Same here, not really too bothered by Kotor 3 getting delayed.
Old 08-18-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does this mean KOTOR 2 is done and ready to go?
Old 08-18-04, 10:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought Bioware was doing these. Layoffs and Lucasarts shouldn't affect development.
Old 08-18-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I thought Bioware was doing these. Layoffs and Lucasarts shouldn't affect development.
Bioware is busy making Jade Empire. Lucasarts is doing KOTOR 2.
Old 08-18-04, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Bioware is busy making Jade Empire. Lucasarts is doing KOTOR 2.
My enthusiasm for Kotor 2 just dropped by a ton.
Old 08-18-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LucasArts is not doing KOTOR2. Obsidian (people from Black Isle and Blizzard) is doing KOTOR2 (with BioWare's engine) with LucasArts overseeing the project (much like they did for BioWare with KOTOR).

My guess is KOTOR3 was just in planning stages, such as which developer will be working on it, basic story outline and those kinds of things.
Old 08-18-04, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by AgtFox
LucasArts is not doing KOTOR2. Obsidian (people from Black Isle and Blizzard) is doing KOTOR2 (with BioWare's engine)
My enthusiasm for Kotor 2 just raised by a ton.
Old 08-18-04, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
My enthusiasm for Kotor 2 just raised by a ton.
Well at least you're flexible!

Chris
Old 08-18-04, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Well at least you're flexible!
I thank stretching for that (just don't tell Parcher!)
Old 08-18-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I was just less enthused finding out it was a different developer. I figure Fable and Jade Empire will keep me busy until KOTOR 2 drops in price anyway.
Old 08-18-04, 03:31 PM
Retired

My only concern is the story. It's using the same engine, so the gameplay should be fine. However, I wasn't 100% thrilled with the gameplay (prefer japanese style, menu driven RPGs) but the SW story and atmosphere still made it one of my all time favorite games.

I just hope they came up with a story at least on par with the first, or I'll be sorely dissappointed. I'll probably wait for a price drop as well, simply because I'm super busy right now (and will be through december) and need to catch up on a backlog of games as is, thus I really don't have time for an RPG right now. Metroid Prime 2 will probably be the only new release I pick up this fall.
Old 08-18-04, 04:50 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just dont want the KOTOR2 story to be spoiled. The game would of SUCKED for me if i found out the twists in the first one ahead of time.
Old 08-18-04, 05:04 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I just dont want the KOTOR2 story to be spoiled. The game would of SUCKED for me if i found out the twists in the first one ahead of time.
Just stay away from previews, thread and reviews of it. You played the first one so you know what to expect, so just check review scores (without reading the text) if you want to know if they did a good job with it before buying it.
Old 08-18-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of the development team from Planesape: Torment are the people at Obsidian, so I am expecting the story to be strong.

At any rate, I'll pick this up.

For those interested, Obsidian is also doing Neverwinter Nights 2. I know some people didn't care for the original, but I feel that the game was meant to be a toolset and spending any time on that campaign they did was time wasted. However, now that most of the groundwork is there, Obsidian should be able to develop the toolset further AND have time to construct a good campaign.
Old 08-19-04, 08:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I pretty much gave up on LucasArts after they canned the new Sam & Max and Full Throttle games. This is just par for the course, IMO. They used to be my favorite game company producing my favorite games. Now they're just a slowly collapsing collective of Star Wars sycophants.