Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New comp game

Old 08-15-04, 03:04 PM
Jae
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New comp game

umm..any recommendations on a computer game? Im into anything..i heard doom 3 was good and UT2k4 had some good reviews. Im just tired of playing cs 24/7. and im looking into getting some sports games for my comp(i know it sounds wierd) and the keyboard isnt gonna be used..i was thinking of getting a ps2 controller, what kind of adapter do i need to hook it up to my pc and how much would it be?
Old 08-15-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just get a Logitec Dual Action USB - it's just like a PS2 controller, but is only 20 bucks and is made for a PC with appropriate driver support. Can't suggest any sports games for the PC. Mafia is excellent though. There are lots of FPS titles to choose from, but it sounds like you're trying to get away from that.
Old 08-15-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I'm having a blast with Doom 3. Sure it looks #%^ gorgeous but it remains a standard FPS. Still the atmosphere is really cool and claustrophobic.

UT2k4 is a blast to play online, just don't get it for the single player experience, there isn't much.

Oh and get "Far Cry" if you didn't already. Especially if you have a new comp you will just drool over the graphics, the open gameplay and for once the AI isn't totally stupid.

I'm not really into sports games anymore, but you can't go wrong with EA Sports (Madden, NHL, NBA Live etc...)

Cheers and enjoy your new computer!
Old 08-16-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Doom 3 if your system is decent

Madden 2004 for PC got the most playing time all of last year on my computer. Great game, and plays just fine compared to the consoles. I imagine 2005 will be even better when it comes out next month.
Old 08-16-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like Doom III because the gameplay was a bit simplistic, but if you have a good computer and enjoy blasting the heck out of brain dead zombie demons you will probably enjoy it.

I really liked FarCry, especially the outside/day time levels. Really a beautiful and fun game.

Thief III was also very good. The game felt a little "XBOXified" with smaller levels and lots of load screens, but the story, gameplay and atmosphere were all top notch. This game can be played first or third person.

If your looking for some truly excellent older games (2 years or so) that you might have missed and will run good on older hardware, I would recommend:

Freedom Force. It's a third person action-strategy game based on 60's comic-type heroes. Very campy and fun with some excellent gameplay and good graphics.

Mafia. I've been thinking about reinstalling this lately. Like GTA3 or Vice city, but the atmosphere is much better and the story is great.

If your sick of CS, but still might like some multiplayer action check out Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory. A free WWII, semi-team play based multiplayer game with a large community.
Old 08-16-04, 03:55 PM
Jae
Cool New Member

my computer is a hp with 3200amd xp processor 512Mb and 160gig hd. i need a good graphics card under $90 that will be able to play doom3 and other high quality games.
Old 08-16-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jae
my computer is a hp with 3200amd xp processor 512Mb and 160gig hd. i need a good graphics card under $90 that will be able to play doom3 and other high quality games.
For under 90 bucks you're not going to be able to get much. I'd look for a cheap Radeon 9600 or maybe a Geforce 5600/5700.
Old 08-16-04, 06:22 PM

Tron 2.0 is awesome and cheap.