Reload this Page >

Opinions on Kill Bill Vol. 2 Deleted Scene

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-14-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I had been wanting to see something with Michael Jai White in Kill Bill. Afterall, he was in the first trailers for Kill Bill and then was never seen in the final product.

After seeing the deleted scene included on the disc, I did like the scene but understand why it was cut. It just didn't fit the mood of Vol. 2, but I can see where Tarantino might put it back in when he puts the two together.

Love to hear some other opinions on this.
Old 08-14-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
I agree with you. It's good, but too campy for the tone of V2.
Old 08-14-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if there are more deleted scenes that support this one. Really cool though.
Old 08-14-04, 05:04 PM

I loved the deleted scene and really hope Tarantino adds it to the final cut when he re-edits the movie for the future DVD release.
Old 08-14-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Opinions on Kill Bill Vol. 2 Deleted Scene

Originally posted by clckworang
After seeing the deleted scene included on the disc, I did like the scene but understand why it was cut. It just didn't fit the mood of Vol. 2, but I can see where Tarantino might put it back in when he puts the two together.

Love to hear some other opinions on this.
I didn't think the scene was bad, but it left me unfulfilled. I thought it was going to be something spectacular, but I ended up thinking, "is that all?"
Old 08-14-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a really good seen but also didn't see how it would fit in without some additional set-up scenes.

I love the way QT imitates the HK action flick style in that scene, as well as the Pai Mei stuff.
Old 08-14-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it didn't fit with the tone Vol 2 had. Glad he left it out, I wonder how it would be replaced in the re-edits?
Old 08-14-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

enjoyed it, but as others say it didn't fit the tone of this volume, though it would flow better if watched all at once (V1 and V2)
Old 08-14-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts
I agree that the scene is cool (love the old style music and English dubbing), but doesn't fit the overall mood of Vol 2. If I'm not mistaken, the flashback scene was orginally meant to first introduce the audience to the character of Bill, but QT thought that the wedding chapel sequence at the beginning of Vol 2 was a better introduction, so he thought that the other scene was not necessary. I'm not sure where a good place for the scene would be in the re-edited complete film. The original script had a completely different introduction to Bill, but I can't remember where exactly it was placed.
Old 08-14-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I do think Bill's introduction at the wedding chapel was very effective, probably more than the deleted scene would have been.

Like boston george said, though, I would also be interested to know if there was more set up for this scene. Could we expect to see more of Michael Jai White in a future cut? Did his character have a more extensive history that we could look forward to seeing? Like maybe who his master was?
Old 08-14-04, 10:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What I was going to say has already been said. The scene would have been better in context. Where did it go in the film? I doubt they'd randomly cut to it. There was likely set up and voiceover going along with it.
Old 08-15-04, 01:19 AM

I thought it was cool that we saw it, but I agree that it should have been cut.

Very cool tho.
Old 08-15-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
It was alright, but I agree that it didn't fit into the mood of the the movie.

The blood spray from the throat was nice.
Old 08-15-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree it was a good idea to cut it. It is a good scene in and of itself. But, I think it would have disrupted the flow of the movie. I like the movie the way it is.

Too bad we don't get to see Bill fight more often though.
Old 08-15-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would've worked best before the Pai Mei stuff. Seems to me it was meant to take place during that same trip. I don't miss it, but part of the beauty of DVD is now it's been immortalized and I can watch it whenever I want. It's as "real" as any other scene.
Old 08-15-04, 11:16 AM

My first thought like others was simply is that it? I had heard Tarantino really liked the scene but just didn't have anywhere to put it, after seeing it i'm wondering why he liked the scene so much, cheesy as hell.
Old 08-15-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
The scene was good but like everyone else, I agree that it didn't fit with the tone of vol. 2. It looked more in place with pat I, but then they would be jumping the gun on introducing Bill. Furthermore, they intro QT has is already a masterpiece IMO. Just having Bill show up walking down the street would not have been very eventful.

The only way the scene would have helped was to illustrate what a bad a$$ killer Bill really was. Then again, Bill presented as he was really didn't need a scene to prove he was a bad a$$ IMO.
Old 08-15-04, 06:24 PM

It was a nice little fight, but I like the idea of not knowing just what Bill is capable of better. By the end of Vol. 2, you haven't seen him do a damn thing, but just the fact that you've seen what his "Crew" is capable of gets your imagination going, since you know he must be even better than them, being the leader and all.
Old 08-15-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by Decker
I agree with you. It's good, but too campy for the tone of V2.
Exactly what I thought.
Old 08-15-04, 08:40 PM

From the clothes the Bride had on, you could tell that this was probably the real beginning of the Pai Mei chapter, as it had the same camera, sound and music style. I could see it added in again when they make it one long movie. Only thing they need to trim out is the driving monologue at the beginning of vol. 2.

"Hahahaha....you bastard!"
Old 08-15-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Originally posted by kantboy
Only thing they need to trim out is the driving monologue at the beginning of vol. 2.
Actually, I think that scene is supposed to be moved to the beginning of the combined films.
Old 08-15-04, 10:34 PM

I loved the scene. It was nice to see the David Carradine of the Kung Fu days kicking butt again. I agree with it being cut but I think thats one of the reasons DVDs are so cool. Now I can watch it when ever I want.