Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wiring gurus...lend me your rears!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I am on a mystical journey of having to rewire my HT system. It will be wired into an Infocus X1 projector. Here are the input sources it has:
  • Computer (VGA 15-pin HDDSUB female);
  • video (S-Video 6-pin mini DIN, component RCA through S-Video adapter, composite video RCA);
  • audio (3.5mm mini-jack)

Okay, I have a lot of junk that will need to be hooked into this. The obvious ones are component video, S video, and computer monitor, but there are others like CD, Tape, Phono, video game systems, etc.

I assume that the best way to do all this is by having everything hooked into a receiver which then heads out to the unit. My computer that is coming does have
  • 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
  • ATI E-Home Wonder TV Tuner
  • Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I haven't found any receivers with dvi input and output under $4k, and don't want to spend near that amount anyway.

1.What receiver (low budget, relatively) has the most ins/outs that could do all of this?

2. What do I need to make sure I don't sacrifice? Does a computer look decent through S video? Component? etc?

3. How do I optimise this so that I can have everything hooked up to it's best video capabilities with the amount of inputs in the X1? Will a receiver send S video signal through a converter to send it out through componenet, etc. in other words?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Dave, I'd recommend either the Onkyo 502 or the Yamaha HTR equivalent. Both around $300, with massive amounts of inputs.
Old 08-12-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

4 S video and 2 comp. video.

Not sure what to do about the computer input still. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-12-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Will a receiver send S video signal through a converter to send it out through componenet, etc. in other words?
Maybe but that is a tricky one and most receivers will not do this.

Here is what I did. I ran the following cables:

DVI -- connected from HDTV receiver directly to projector
Component -- connected to receiver, dvd player passes through
S-Video -- laser disc player connected directly to projector
VGA -- unused at the moment, I ran the cable for future use.

I also pass an Xbox and a DVD recorder through my receiver via the component link
Old 08-13-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wiring gurus...lend me your rears!

Ehh... I thought this is a thread about someone's rear...

Anyway, I think computer can looks OK through S-video, but it'll look better with VGA connection. I'm not sure about component though.
Old 08-13-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Ended up getting this Yamaha HTR-5660

I used to have a Yamaha back in the days of only "surround sound" and it easily had the best sound of any any reciever I have had. It also has a Video Conversion circuit (S-Video to Composite, Composite to S-Video), which should come in handy for me. Top all that off with the fact that Overstock.com had it for $209.99 shipped, and it is a steal.

Didn't really want to buy one this quickly, but that is a smoking deal.
Old 08-14-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I have the highdef kit for the x-box, but will need to pick up a decent progressive scan dvd player.

My dish pvr can hook up to my computer (here Tuesday) which is a media center pc and will be the brains of the operation. I can watch full screen tv on it as well, but not high def (which I don't have yet, anyway). So TV and computer can get to the x1 with the vga. (anyone know if most dvdwriters are progressive scan? I would doubt it)

Next the gamecube will hook into the receiver through s-video.
X-box and dvd will hook into two component spots. So then I have the gamecube routed through the component video with this receiver. I can then switch the cables when I need to.

That is not the option I would really want, though. I would much prefer to just send one calbe through the ceiling. Anyone know if they make a video card that inputs component video into the computer and outputs through the VGA? That would be ideal, though maybe there is something I am not thinking of with that.