Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Matrix Collection details. <- Look, no question mark.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Digital Bits' Rumor Mill 8/11/04:

Anyone out there up for The Ultimate Matrix Collection? According to the Wachowski Brothers, who made a rare public appearance at the recent Comic-Con to talk about the DVDs, it's on the way in December. They were part of a Warner Bros. DVD panel on Saturday, which happened right before the big Lucasfilm Star Wars panel, so it seems not many people from the online DVD world were in attendance to hear them talk (including us). But faithful Bits reader Doug S. was there and sent us all the details, some which confirm things we'd heard before (click here and here) and some of it new information.

A promo was shown revealing two versions of the set, including a more expensive Collector's Edition Gift Set that includes a Neo minibust from Gentle Giant and a soundtrack CD. As we've heard before, this will be a 10-disc set as follows:

Disk 1 - The Matrix (digitally remastered and recolored)
Disk 2 - The Matrix Revisited (The SAME disc already released)
Disk 3 - The Matrix Reloaded
Disk 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited
Disk 5 - The Matrix Revolutions
Disk 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited
Disk 7 - The Animatrix (The SAME disc already released)
Disk 8 - The Roots of the Matrix
Disk 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles
Disk 10 - The Zion Archive

Here's additional information the Wachowskis revealed at the panel:

Despite rumors, there will be no new director's cuts. The brothers said they were very happy with the original theatrical versions.

There will be two audio commentaries for each film - one from philosophers Ken Wilber and Cornel West (who analyze the meanings behind the films), and one from three professional critics who hated all three films (no names given). According to Andy Wachowski, "It's the best idea we've ever had. It's hilarious. They just sit there and rip the shit out of us for six hours."

All the footage shot for the Enter the Matrix videogame is present on the DVD for Matrix Reloaded. However, it is not cut into the film - it's a separate special feature you can view scene-by-scene.

Finally, the Wachowskis said that none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the trilogy will be reproduced except for what you find on Discs 2 and 7. You may see some of the same footage re-edited, but if you want to own all of the extras you'll need to keep your original DVDs too.

So there you have it, straight from a Bits reader who was there. Todd and I actually saw the Wachowskis at the Burly Man booth in the dealer room, so we know there were on hand for all the Comic-Con fun. Our thanks to Doug for his efforts and for sending all this information to us to post for all of you.
Well shucks, I'm a bit disappointed about the non-Director's Cut of Reloaded. That was a major selling point for me. Oh well. At least that'll satisfy the purists who want the original theatrical cut.

I'm still getting it for all the cool extras. The remastering and recoloring of the original is a major selling point as well. I assume that means that the color-timing has been tweaked a little more to the green side, rather than blue.

What'll be interesting is the critics' commentaries. That's gotta be a first. It'll be like MST3K without the abnoxious black silouettes.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 08-11-04 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 06:46 PM

Any idea if this is a holiday release set???? I doubt it, but it would be nice to see under the tree.
Old 08-11-04, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nickmondo1
Any idea if this is a holiday release set???? I doubt it, but it would be nice to see under the tree.
Umm, reread the first paragraph...

According to the Wachowski Brothers, who made a rare public appearance at the recent Comic-Con to talk about the DVDs, it's on the way in December.
Old 08-11-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm dissapointed to hear about the lack of Director's Cuts as well. However a remastered The Matrix, the extras, and hopefully a decent price will still make me buy this despite owning all the movies + The Animatrix already. Now it's a matter of deciding whether to sell my originals, keep them, or possibly give them to a friend.
Old 08-11-04, 06:59 PM

A new cut of Reloaded with the ETM footage edited in would've been horrible. I'm glad to hear that most of this set will be new stuff.
Old 08-11-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh, I already have the movies, so I'm not dipping again.
Old 08-11-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
No dipping for me either. This set is going to be hella expensive and IMO not worth it if you have all three movies already. However, I'm interested in seeing the packaging on this one. It'll probably be pretty sweet.
Old 08-11-04, 07:19 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows whether they will release the movies individually, in particular the first one? I'm only interested in the first one so if there's a way, I rather not buy the whole set.
Old 08-11-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It's the best idea we've ever had. It's hilarious. They just sit there and rip the shit out of us for six hours."
Damn. Now.. now I'm tempted to get this.
Old 08-11-04, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
Eh, I already have the movies, so I'm not dipping again.
Well, I do too, but I lack the Animatrix and I really want to get all those "Revisited" discs. I feel this trilogy, despite it's flaws, is the ultimate new sci-fi trilogy for the new century.

The remastered and recolored The Matrix is a must have. The original disc has a horrible transfer. Grain out the ass when the other two are basically referrence transfers.

No dipping for me either. This set is going to be hella expensive and IMO not worth it if you have all three movies already. However, I'm interested in seeing the packaging on this one. It'll probably be pretty sweet.
Yeah, this'll probably be pretty expensive. Probably along the lines of the Alien Quadrilogy set. Matrix has 3 movies and 3 extras discs, plus an animated one, plus 3 more general extras discs. Aliens Quad had 4 movies and 4 extras discs, plus a bonus disc covering the entire series. 9-discs to 10-discs. Alien Quad retailed for around $75, I can see this set for about the same, give or take $5.
Old 08-11-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

and hopefully just like the alien quad it's release will coincide with a ddd 20% off sale.
Old 08-11-04, 07:45 PM

Please come packed in keepcases, please. No digipaks
Old 08-11-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by costanza
and hopefully just like the alien quad it's release will coincide with a ddd 20% off sale.
No shit. I have all 3 but if the price is right, I'll probably bite.
Old 08-11-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, depends on the price for me. I own Matrix and Animatrix (never cared enough for the sequels to buy them yet).

The commentariy track where the critics rip into the film sounds great though
Old 08-11-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So this monster will not have any of the original extras, huh? I wonder when a list of the estras it does have will be released. The extras on Reloaded and Revolutions were pretty extensive. I wonder what they will dig up for this.
Old 08-11-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I might cave and get this. I'm not a die hard matrix freak like some of the people on the Matrix Revisited DVD but I do have all the McFarlane figures and Gentle Giant busts.

Commentaries are my favorite but I think both the ones they mentioned wouldn't be tracks I would enjoy. I'd much rather have the cast and crew.

I think I'll start putting a few bucks aside here and there in preparation for the release then it won't seem like so much money when I buy the set. That way I can feel better about rebuying a few 2 DVDs I already own.
Old 08-11-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by madcougar
So this monster will not have any of the original extras, huh?
"Finally, the Wachowskis said that none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the trilogy will be reproduced except for what you find on Discs 2 and 7. You may see some of the same footage re-edited"
Old 08-11-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I thought part 2 and 3 were crap compared to the first and never got them. But with this up in mind. I might be willing to pick up this ultimate package if the price is right.
Old 08-11-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
can I get some STL?

[email protected]

Old 08-11-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm waiting for The Matrix Reloaded Revisited Reimagined Rethunk Reworked Retooled and Regurgitated
Old 08-11-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remastered and Recolored. . .Recolored. . .wtf is that supposed to mean?
Old 08-11-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brothers Larry and Andy W. reportedly declined to do audio commentary on the films themselves, apparently "fearing that whatever they said would turn into dogma."

Or rather:

Brothers Larry and Andy W. reportedly declined to do audio commentary on the films themselves, apparently "fearing that by doing a commentary they would be forced into explaining what the hell was going on"

Those two commentaries sound like crap. But, I'll buy it.

CFG
Old 08-11-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TomOpus
"Finally, the Wachowskis said that none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the trilogy will be reproduced except for what you find on Discs 2 and 7. You may see some of the same footage re-edited"
Wasn't really asking a question, but thanks for the clarification anyway.

I guess I can get rid of my Animatrix copy.
Old 08-11-04, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
So what will be different about Reloaded (outside of the CGI extras) and Revolutions?

Also, will the remastered Matrix be available seperately?
Old 08-11-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
So what will be different about Reloaded (outside of the CGI extras) and Revolutions?

Also, will the remastered Matrix be available seperately?
Maybe DTS?

*runs and hides from the WARNER DOESNT DO DTS replies*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.