Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars DVD Changes/Lack of OT Disussion part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 02:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Wars DVD Changes/Lack of OT Disussion part II

The other one got closed and bitching about the changes is taking the SW DVD Info thread off topic, so lets try this again to keep the bickering out of the other thread.
Old 08-09-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh? re: the chances of another SW thread maintaining a shred of civility...

"May the Force Be With You".
Old 08-09-04, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Wow - a Star Wars thread closed for bickering? I never thought I'd see the day!

Originally posted by flyboy
Hey all I was saying is that it does change the character and it is an important issue to alot of fans who hold this film dear..such as myself. It seems that most us who hate the changes are from the generation who saw this film in 1977 as a 10-15 year old.
How does it change him? Han is still a "Wont go into the detention block without a reward" kind of guy. He still ups and leaves the rebels in the lurch until his furry Jiminy Cricket tells hin to go back. The character is the still the same at the core.

My only complaint with the scene was that it looked like shit. If they've cleaned it up so it doesnt look like ass, then I have no problem with it. And yes, I'm in the saw-it-in-the-theater-in-77 demographic you mention.

Shocking, isnt it.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 08-09-04 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 02:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's only 3 changes I do not like about the upcoming releases:

1. Dialog changes (why change? the dialog was pretty good as it was).
2. Shaw being replaced in ROTJ.
3. Gunguns back in ROTJ
Old 08-09-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How history gets obliterated

This is a Flashback Anakin action figure:

Pull the yellow strip and the picture changes to little Anakin:

Old 08-09-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The lucas elimination squad will be at your place to destroy said toy at once.
Old 08-09-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
There's only 3 changes I do not like about the upcoming releases:

1. Dialog changes (why change? the dialog was pretty good as it was).
2. Shaw being replaced in ROTJ.
3. Gunguns back in ROTJ
1. Annoying yes, but I can let it slide.
2. Doesn't really bother me. It's about 10 seconds and the end of a 12-hour saga.
3. "Back"? They were never there. Maybe you mean "added"? Anyway, not bothered by it too. Go get a drink when it comes up. Read the insert or something. It's not like it lingers there forever.
Old 08-11-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
You know, I was just watching TESB the other night, and it occurred to me that something was missing. The Empire's attack on Hoth seems awfully small-scale to me. I mean, just a few Imperial Walkers against the Rebel Base? What's up with that???

I'm hoping this scene is completely redone for the DVD. I want to see CGI AT-ATs as far back to the horizon as technology allows. I want to see all sorts of crazy-looking vehicles. Ships that look like giant bugs fly close to the ground, drop futuristic tanks into the snow, then stormtroopers pour out of these vehicles while riding rocket-powered unicycles. Maybe throw in lots of vehicles that look like they ride on giant hula hoops for no real reason except they look neat. And for crying out loud - more explosions! I may want to see this stuff, but even more importantly, I want to see this stuff BLOW UP!

Just look at the Episode II battle on Geonosis. That supposedly took place a generation earlier. The Hoth battle doesn't even compare.

Oh, and I just realized James Earl Jones sounds NOTHING like Hayden Christiansen. I think those lines need to be redubbed.

Last edited by rennervision; 08-11-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 12:44 PM
Retired

Originally posted by rennervision

Oh, and I just realized James Earl Jones sounds NOTHING like Hayden Christiansen. I think those lines need to be redubbed.
He's talking through a machine, it doesn't have to sound the same. Shaw sounds totally different at the end of ROTJ when Luke unmasks Vader.
Old 08-11-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Josh, I think it's safe to say that rennervision's post was a sarcastic one.
Old 08-11-04, 12:56 PM
Retired

Probably, I didn't get much sleep last night. Plus sarcasm doesn't come across well on the net to begin with.
Old 08-11-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they definitely need to make an alternate audio track with hayden talking as vader. that would be awesome!
Old 08-11-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Forget Lucas ans Star Wars lets turn this into a Josh Hickle bash fest. From now on we type his name Jo$h and....

On second thought no.

Actually I think these threads have been a lot of fun to read. I'm not really one to argue over Star Wars, but there has been plenty of good information and opinions to read even if things get derailed on occasion with pure angry nonsense.

I'm still of the opinion though that a film is a work of art and should never be altered in any way from its original theatrical release unless it includes a Mike Nelson commentary track. Then all bets are off.
Old 08-11-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
You know, I was just watching TESB the other night, and it occurred to me that something was missing. The Empire's attack on Hoth seems awfully small-scale to me. I mean, just a few Imperial Walkers against the Rebel Base? What's up with that???

Just look at the Episode II battle on Geonosis. That supposedly took place a generation earlier. The Hoth battle doesn't even compare.
The Empire didn't need any more than a few walkers though, did they? They were fighting untrained and unsuspecting rebels hiding in a cave.

It was lopsided to begin with--no need to make it even more so.

The battle of Geonosis consisted of two full-fledged armies fighting. That's very different than an empire-wide army going after a few rebel-against-the-government liberal hippies hiding in a cave.
Old 08-11-04, 04:52 PM
Banned

I'm hoping this scene is completely redone for the DVD. I want to see CGI AT-ATs as far back to the horizon as technology allows. I want to see all sorts of crazy-looking vehicles. Ships that look like giant bugs fly close to the ground, drop futuristic tanks into the snow, then stormtroopers pour out of these vehicles while riding rocket-powered unicycles. Maybe throw in lots of vehicles that look like they ride on giant hula hoops for no real reason except they look neat. And for crying out loud - more explosions! I may want to see this stuff, but even more importantly, I want to see this stuff BLOW UP!

I would too. I'd love to see this Hoth battle ramped up in the DVD. If nothing else, but just some added infantry battles between the snowtroopers and rebel troopers. Something right before the warning claxon in the rebel base says, "Imperial troops have entered the base." Well let's see this. A short, or even a medium length infantry skirmish just outside the base perimeter. Somewhere near the big iron hanger gate.

I'd still love to see a short scene showing the actual landing of the assault force. Something similar to the Trade Federation landing scene in The Phantom Menace on Naboo.
Old 08-11-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the same George Lucas who argued before Congress in the 1980's against altering films?

"By leaving the special effects intact, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was." (paraphrasing, I know...he was referring to leaving films in black and white instead of Turnerizing them. But the sentiment is the same.)
Old 08-11-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
aren't we having that discussion in movie talk right now?
Old 08-12-04, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gunguns back in ROTJ
Of all the changes, this is the most innocent. You can't hardly see any gungans except for 4-5 on top of the roof. Even then they're hard to make out. That scene in my opinion, does nothing to hurt the ending of ROTJ. In fact, it's a beautifully done scene that's a great connection to the TPM, which is George Lucas' intent, despite some people not wanting the connection. But that is his intention, and rightfully so.

Now, if he would have had Jar-Jar 10 feet from the camera screaming "WEESA FREE", then I'd have a problem. But the gungans are barely noticeable and the "WEESA FREE" dialogue is in the background. You can hear it, but's it not a loud cheer that drowns out all of the cheering.

Is this the same George Lucas who argued before Congress in the 1980's against altering films?
I think you simplified that way too much.
Old 08-12-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
That scene in my opinion, does nothing to hurt the ending of ROTJ.
Yeah, but look at it like this - Jar Jar now has the absolute last spoken line in the entire Star Wars series.
Old 08-12-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, but look at it like this - Jar Jar now has the absolute last spoken line in the entire Star Wars series.
Assuming that was Jar-Jar speaking. If it was, I think it's extremely funny. Like a big middle finger and F-You by George to all the haters.
Old 08-12-04, 02:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Let's face it ....the Lucas who directed American Graffiti and Star Wars (1977) is no longer with us ...

Why is anyone surprised he's tinkered with the original trilogy after the abomination of the last 2 Star Wars films ?
Old 08-12-04, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, that's not necessarily Jar-Jar.

Why is anyone surprised he's tinkered with the original trilogy after the abomination of the last 2 Star Wars films ?
Not everyone holds that opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Simple solution for you. Don't buy the thing.
Old 08-12-04, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by vegasbaby
Hate to break it to you, but the last 2 star wars films didnt suck.

Originally posted by Terrell
Um, that's not necessarily Jar-Jar.
Yeah, but I secretly hope it is. I love the idea of the gigantic F' you from Lucas.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 08-12-04 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but I secretly hope it is. I love the idea of the gigantic F' you from Lucas.
-deviating from an established format of 2 discs per film
-not offering the original, unaltered versions despite large consumer petitions

dude, this release IS the big "F__K You!"
Old 08-12-04, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ckolchak
-deviating from an established format of 2 discs per film
-not offering the original, unaltered versions despite large consumer petitions

dude, this release IS the big "F__K You!"
And the fact that folks like you can't seem to get it through your head that when they said back in 1995, "Own them for the last time on video" that they meant it! The original prints don't exist anymore!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.