Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New details about the Seinfeld dvd sets

From USAToday.com......
An anthology about something
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY
You wouldn't expect a man of wealth and taste, one whose finicky TV alter-ego was turned off by a girlfriend just because she had fungicide in her bathroom, to put out a run-of-the-mill DVD collection

A loser like George Constanza would simply dump the nine seasons of Seinfeld episodes into store bins and be done with it. But that's not good enough for Jerry Seinfeld, someone reputed to own 500 pairs of white sneakers. All immaculate.

Sure enough, when the first two volumes (Columbia TriStar, $49.95 each) of shows from the NBC's groundbreaking sitcom are released Nov. 23, each four-disc set will pack a veritable Festivus — that special holiday "for the rest of us" — of extras. "If it were just the DVDs, it wouldn't be that exciting," says Seinfeld, who estimates it took about three years to gather and edit the archival material. "But it's really encyclopedic."

The 18 episodes from the first and second seasons on Volume 1 include two versions of the pilot plus such cherished moments as Jerry's disdain of Dockers and Elaine's first "get out!' shove. The 22 shows from the third season on Volume 2 introduce Wayne Knight as Jerry's nemesis Newman and such terms as "hand" (as in upper hand) and "the vault" (where secrets are kept sealed in the mind).

With the $119.95 gift set, you get a bonus: Monk's Diner salt and pepper shakers shaped like mustard and ketchup containers. Confusing yet cute.

The 24 hours of additional features split between the two volumes include a documentary, bloopers, outtakes, never-seen-before Seinfeld stand-up routines, commentaries and trivia. Ever wonder where Kramer was during the Chinese restaurant episode? The secret is finally revealed.

Seinfeld is most fond of the gag-reel footage. "At the end of each season, we would have a party, and one of the biggest highlights was a 30- to 40-minute gag reel with every scene over the course of the year where we broke up laughing and ruined the tape."

Regular watchers know all too well that the show's namesake was most prone to giggle fits. "I took zero pride in acting," he says. "I was just so thrilled when a joke would work." Nevertheless, he won several best-actor awards over the years from various organizations. "None that you would know," he adds.

The DVD announcement will delight fans who have been getting their only fix of Seinfeld's lovable yet irksome Manhattanites from syndicated reruns, which are a minute or two shorter than the network versions in the sets.

Money problems, however, almost deleted some extras. Late last year, Seinfeld co-stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine) and Jason Alexander (George) were refusing to do commentary tracks and promotional duties if they weren't paid for their efforts. Michael Richards (Kramer) agreed to participate but wasn't pleased about the lack of extra cash, either.

But all was settled amicably, says Seinfeld executive producer Howard West, who oversaw the DVDs' production. "The cast, who will render ongoing DVD services through future volumes, will be compensated in direct relation to the success of the DVDs." The rest of the sets probably will be released over the next three years.

Seinfeld, who turned 50 this year ("It's over. I'm done," he jokes), spends most weekends performing stand-up around the country. He has little interest in returning to series TV grind. "Having a sitcom is like being a captain of a ship. Doing stand-up is like surfing on a wave of energy of people laughing. It's not about money. It's about proving I can do it."

The comic also has proved he can commit. He has been married to his wife, Jessica, since 1999. They live with children Sascha, 3, and Julian, 1, at an East Hampton estate (price: an estimated $35 million) once owned by singer Billy Joel.

How alike are Seinfeld and TV Jerry? "It's not a leap to think he wound up where I did." However, "his TV series didn't work out. Mine did. He is not living in Billy Joel's house."
Old 08-06-04, 02:07 AM

Good news! Glad it's not going to be a year by year thing. I'm getting older.
Old 08-06-04, 02:52 AM

Good news but 120 for the gift set? Do I dare ask how much each standalone will be?

Hopefully the popularity of the show will drive DVD sales and they'll be on sale often.
Old 08-06-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by shawagg
Good news but 120 for the gift set? Do I dare ask how much each standalone will be?

Hopefully the popularity of the show will drive DVD sales and they'll be on sale often.
It says in the article that it'll be $50 a pop. So we're looking at $35-40 at stores.

I might spring for the giftset. I'm sure there will be a decent deal on it somewhere.
Old 08-06-04, 05:15 AM
Banned

Im just not sure on whether or not to get this...I've seen all of em...and they replay on TBS quite a lot...just dont know...
Old 08-06-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I can live without the salt and pepper shakers.

Individual releases for me, unless the gift set is somehow cheaper. (If I'm in a cynical mood, I might say that the "gift set" could be a move on the part of CTS to discourage retailers from offering deals on both sets, and instead focusing on moving more units of the higher-priced gift set instead.)
Old 08-06-04, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the news! I think I'll be getting them separately. Can't wait!
Old 08-06-04, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Im just not sure on whether or not to get this...I've seen all of em...and they replay on TBS quite a lot...just dont know...
I originally thought about that too, but I have noticed that TBS doesn't seem to play all of the episodes. There is a rotation of about 40-50 that play over and over again. You might get a different one every now and then, but it seems pretty rare.
Old 08-06-04, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
You will be getting the uncut episodes with (hopefully) better sound and picture. The 24 hours of extras sealed the deal for me. I bet there is gonna be some great stuff there.

I will be picking up the giftset, I am a sucker for those kind of things...
Old 08-06-04, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by pOpus
I originally thought about that too, but I have noticed that TBS doesn't seem to play all of the episodes. There is a rotation of about 40-50 that play over and over again. You might get a different one every now and then, but it seems pretty rare.

I've noticed that too--TBS doesn't seem to play any of the earlier seasons. They seem to be limited to so few episodes that they tend to cycle thru them every 3 weeks or so.
Old 08-06-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow! With a slew of extras like that, it sounds like the dvd sets could be really good. I'm a little anxious to see the series from the beginning and see some episodes I've never seen (if there are any I dont know)

Good post, thanks!
Old 08-06-04, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by LBCrazyFool
You will be getting the uncut episodes with (hopefully) better sound and picture. The 24 hours of extras sealed the deal for me. I bet there is gonna be some great stuff there.

I will be picking up the giftset, I am a sucker for those kind of things...
They will look and sound better. Here is the press relese from tvshowsondvd.com:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2029

THE MOST ANTICIPATED TV-TO-DVD OF ALL TIME IS ANYTHING BUT NOTHING!
SEINFELD: THE FIRST THREE SEASONS

"The #1 Show of All Time"** Never Looked So Good All 40 Episodes, Now in High Definition, Available November 23 in Two Individual Volumes or as a Deluxe Gift Set

Approximately 24 Hours of Bonus Features from the Creative Forces Behind the Show Include All-New Documentaries, Interviews and Commentaries with Jerry, Larry David, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards and Jason Alexander, Deleted Scenes, Gag Reels and More

Culver City, Calif., August 6, 2004 -- Considered one of the most innovative, popular and successful TV comedy series of all time and now the most anticipated TV-to-DVD ever, Seinfeld, the show about nothing, finally debuts on DVD November 23 - newly enhanced in high definition. Seinfeld will be available from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment in two volumes or as a deluxe holiday Gift Set (not to be "re-gifted"), which includes a limited edition script with handwritten notes from Larry David, exclusive "Monk's Diner" salt & pepper shakers and collectible playing cards. Volumes 1 and 2 will be sold individually at the suggested list price of $49.95 each and the gift set at $119.95.

Seinfeld will look and sound better than ever. To provide the best picture and sound quality possible, Castle Rock Entertainment, which produced the show, returned to the original film elements and spent many months digitally remastering every episode in high definition; the original analog audio tracks went through a similar process. Seinfeld: Volume 1 includes all 18 episodes of seasons one and two on four discs and Seinfeld: Volume 2, also on four discs, includes all 22 episodes from season three. Each volume will be loaded with approximately 12 hours of exclusive special features from the creative talents behind the show, including a full-length documentary, extensive creator, cast and production commentaries, bloopers, deleted scenes, exclusive never-before-seen Jerry Seinfeld stand-up comedy footage and trivia pertinent to each season. Both releases feature the original NBC network versions, 1-2 minutes longer than the syndicated versions and not seen since their original broadcast runs. Additionally, Volume 1 features two versions of the original pilot episode.

Gregory M. Paul, President and Chief Operating Officer of Castle Rock, said, "We are thrilled to see the show looking so terrific in this remarkable new DVD release. I'm confident it will satisfy the show's loyal fans as well as bring in a whole new generation of viewers."

Said Seinfeld executive producer Howard West, "This is something George [Shapiro, also a Seinfeld exec producer] and I never could have imagined when the show began. To have this opportunity to go back, restore the elements, revive Jerry's unused stand-up, bring the talent back to chat about the show and then see the original episodes with high-definition images has been a thrill for all of us. I think we've more than met the challenge of DVD and have made every effort to stay true to the essence of Jerry's unique brand of comedy which has become so deeply a part of mainstream American culture."

Benjamin Feingold, President of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment noted, "We're delighted to be working with the Castle Rock team and the Seinfeld creators on this DVD release which we expect to become the #1 TV-to-DVD of all time. We're particularly happy for the fans, who have inundated us with an overwhelming number of letters and e-mails in recent years, indicating this is the title for which they've waited the longest."

About Seinfeld
Seinfeld, which aired on NBC for nine years, focuses on four single friends living in New York. At the core of the group is Jerry (Jerry Seinfeld), a stand-up comedian whose professional path includes a shot at creating a network sitcom, a guest spot on the "Today" show, a wealth of other experiences gone awry and a personal life rife with an endless parade of never-quite-right girlfriends. His childhood best friend, George Costanza (Jason Alexander), could be deemed the quintessential loser: he can never hold on to a job or a girlfriend; although he has more than enough schemes for trying to make both happen. Jerry's ex, Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) offers her own string of bad dates and worrisome workplace sagas. And lastly, there's curiously-coiffed Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards) -- Jerry's over-the-top, offbeat and often mysterious neighbor, with no visible means of support and an uncanny knack for opening doors to opportunities he has no business being near

One only has to mention Superman or the Soup Nazi, Jujyfruits or Junior Mints, Festivus or Manziers or Low- or Close-Talkers to be reminded of the show's peerless plots, quips and characters. Seinfeld was also noted for coining many phrases that have since come into commonplace usage: "Master of your domain," "Yada, yada, yada," "Sponge-worthy," "Not that there's anything wrong with that," "Double-dipping," "Re-gifting" and "manhands," among countless others.

Seinfeld changed the landscape of TV forever, leaving the air in 1998 as the number one Nielsen-rated show in both comedy and drama. Nominated for an incredible 57 Emmy Awards®, Seinfeld won a total of 13, including Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. TV Guide ranked it #1 on its list of "50 Greatest Shows of All Time."

The Extra Features
Each Volume contains the following extra features, tailored to the episodes included in the particular set.
Inside Looks: Interviews with the cast and creators about what was happening behind the scenes as the episodes were created and filmed.
Yada Yada Yada: Audio commentaries from the cast remembering the making of these episodes.
In the Vault: Saved from the cutting room floor... deleted scenes - never seen!
Not That There's Anything Wrong With That: Never-before-seen-outtakes and bloopers.
Master of His Domain: See Jerry in exclusive stand-up comedy footage, shot for the show but never used.
Sponsored by Vandelay Industries: Original NBC promotional ads and trailers.
Notes About Nothing: Behind-the-scenes scoop and production notes.
Additional features include:
VOLUME 1
How It Began: An hour-long look at how Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David first came up with the idea for the show, how it almost didn't get made and how they emerged with the show that changed the face of television forever.
Tonight Show Footage
VOLUME 2
Kramer vs. Kramer: Kenny to Cosmo: If you thought Cosmo Kramer was hilarious, wait until you meet the real Kramer, Kenny Kramer!
Seinfeld is produced by Shapiro/West Productions in association with Castle Rock Entertainment, a Time Warner Company. Larry David, George Shapiro and Howard West serve as executive producers of the series. Seinfeld is distributed by Sony Pictures Television.

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. SPE is a division of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com.
Old 08-06-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Definitely getting the third season set. The 1-2 set will depend on reviews of the extras, as I really don't think the first 10-15 shows were very funny.
Old 08-06-04, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gjamesm
... or as a deluxe holiday Gift Set (not to be "re-gifted"), which includes a limited edition script with handwritten notes from Larry David, exclusive "Monk's Diner" salt & pepper shakers and collectible playing cards.
Nice to see they are including more than just the reported salt and pepper shakers. I am all over this gifset. Even though I prefer season 3 and on, the extras that will be included on Seasons 1 & 2 will be too good to pass up.
Old 08-06-04, 10:35 AM

Any released date floating around yet?
Old 08-06-04, 10:52 AM

Seinfeld is my favorite sitcoms of all time. I will be buying the gift set. I can't wait to listen to some of the commentaries.
Old 08-06-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by copiedline
Any released date floating around yet?
November 23, 2004.
Old 08-06-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
I'm down! I'm totally down! Mark me down!
Old 08-06-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm down! I'm totally down! Mark me down!
Manana? I'm doing nada.
Old 08-06-04, 01:13 PM
Suspended

You know it's a sad, sad thing that the show never continued on as everyone hoped it would. I think the producers should have granted the cast members higher wages. If they did, the show would still be on as of today and would have lasted as long as the Simpsons do right now. In fact, it would have been the longest running comedy sitcom ever!
Old 08-06-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive probably only ever seens about 5 episodes ever. Everytime I happen to turn on to sienfeld, its one of the episodes ive already seen

I may get this down the line but at the moment I want to finish off my futurama and simpsons sets first.
Old 08-06-04, 01:58 PM

I don't remember the first 2 seasons being all that great, just a handfull being good. I may wait and just get the later seasons.
Old 08-06-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally posted by Regurgitator
You know it's a sad, sad thing that the show never continued on as everyone hoped it would. I think the producers should have granted the cast members higher wages. If they did, the show would still be on as of today and would have lasted as long as the Simpsons do right now. In fact, it would have been the longest running comedy sitcom ever!
I think it ended exactly when it should have...that's why it will be remembered as a classic. There's nothing worse than a show that outstays it's welcome...and Seinfeld was starting to show that in the last season.
Old 08-06-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think so. It definitely wasn't the show it once was, but it had evolved into being funny for different reasons than it once was. Few episodes in the final season were really about nothing, but I thought they had their own charms. Some of my favorite episodes come from the final season.

But I think the show ended when it should've. You look at the series and how beloved it is and how much of a significant impact it had on pop culture. Then you realize it was on for nine seasons, which seems odd. You'd assume that a show with such a lasting impact would've been in the double-digits in seasons, but nope. I think that's something that makes it fairly unique. The Honeymooners is one of the few series that I can think of that was that influential and didn't run for that look.

Granted, these days it's rare to see a show last a few seasons, but that's because the majority of them are trash. When you find a keeper, it tends to run on and on (i.e. Friends). Seinfeld ended before it jumped the shark and it gained a rep as being a classic show that fizzled out in the end.
Old 08-06-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I think it ended exactly when it should have...that's why it will be remembered as a classic. There's nothing worse than a show that outstays it's welcome...and Seinfeld was starting to show that in the last season.
*coughsimpsonscough*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.