Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Law, HD-Ready vs HD-Built-In

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So, I thought there was a law that starting July 1, 2004, 50% of large-screen (>36") TVs had to have digital tuner built in, not just be "HD Ready," which would go to 100% a year later, and medium size would follow both dates with one year delay, small screen with two year delay.

I'm sure not seeing it in stores ads and its been a month+. Now I don't know if the rule is by manufacturer, by store, month by month, or averaged over the year. Anybody know the details of the rule? More important, why aren't we seeing a bunch of models (like half) with built-in digital tuners.

I know there are pro/con arguments to having the tuner built in, but my wife is dead set against extra boxes littering entertainment center, and actually, I at least partially agree.

While we're on the subject, anyone thing analog tv broadcast will really go away on schedule in 2007?
Old 08-05-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know anything about the contents of this law, but am certainly hope it doesn't come to pass. While I understand not wanting things to clutter up the entertainment system, having a built-in tuner would only get you OTA HD, right? If you have digital cable or satellite, why pay extra for a built-in tuner if you can just have an all-in-box from your provider?

I don't think analog will go away in 2007. Too many networks, both major and cable seem to be far too slow to embrace HD.
Old 08-05-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chew
While I understand not wanting things to clutter up the entertainment system, having a built-in tuner would only get you OTA HD, right?

If you have digital cable or satellite, why pay extra for a built-in tuner if you can just have an all-in-box from your provider?

Maybe, or perhaps it could receive non-encrypted cable channels, just as most NTSC tuners do today.

I think the separate OTA boxes are a major ripoff and are slowing adoption of HDTV. I think in high volume, the price of a tuner would drop dramatically not unlike the cost of an NTSC tuner presently required in all sets. I don't have cable or satellite. I keep looking at what's on, and concluding that 90+% of the time, I'd be watching the broadcast channels anywhere. Why pay for what's free? I recognize this is highly dependent on individual viewing preferences.

On the 2007 date. they only have to embrace "digital," it doesn't have to be high-def. In my area, all the broadcasters are running a parallel digital channel, although it is true most of the content is just SDTV.
Old 08-05-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by OldDude
I keep looking at what's on, and concluding that 90+% of the time, I'd be watching the broadcast channels anywhere. Why pay for what's free?
I kept thinking that too until I got them.
Old 08-05-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've got an HD tuner with my cable box, and it's nice, but I use the DVR much much much more.
Speaking nontechnically, I think in a way I prefer the tuner being external to the TV. Many people are already used to 'addressable converters', or satellite recievers. A built-in HD tuner might be limited as to what it can recieve and display, and you might need an external one anyway for cable or satellite, regular or digital/HD. Plus after spending a bunch of money on a new HDTV I'd rather upgrade just the box as needed, than have the whole thing be outdated in a year.
In my understanding, "Digital" is merely the method of transmitting the data, whereas HD is a broadcast with a certain resolution or higher. HD has to be digital, but digital is not necessarily HD. [I get VH1 Classic on my 'digital' cable box, but it looks like crap and is most definitely not HD].
I think the only people who would benefit from a built-in tuner would be those folks who don't have cable or satellite, and want to get the HD locals. Even then you've got to get and install an antenna, and most cable companies offer the HD locals for free if you get an HD box.
Old 08-05-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dtcarson
In my understanding, "Digital" is merely the method of transmitting the data, whereas HD is a broadcast with a certain resolution or higher. HD has to be digital, but digital is not necessarily HD. [I get VH1 Classic on my 'digital' cable box, but it looks like crap and is most definitely not HD].
I think the only people who would benefit from a built-in tuner would be those folks who don't have cable or satellite, and want to get the HD locals. Even then you've got to get and install an antenna, and most cable companies offer the HD locals for free if you get an HD box.
You are correct about digital vs HD. But supposedly, the FCC is eventually (I doubt the 2007 date) end analog tv broadcast and demand all digital. We will go from tv's with built-in tuner to tv's that require a box to tune anything. All the digital channels are uhf, so instead of the vhf/uhf antenna I have now, a smaller uhf only would suffice.

In some ways, the thin small kitchen tvs (LCD) are more of an issue than large tvs. You get them because you want something compact and flat. In a few years, when analog tv ceases, you'll have to add a STB to your 15" LCD kitchen TV or throw it out. Well, screw them, I'm not buying until they offer digital tuners.
Old 08-09-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My TV has a built in HDTV decoder and it can actually decode my cable company's HDTV signal without a STB plus I use an outdoor antenna for those local HD channels that they don't carry.