Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the vocals of bands like Slipknot, Korn...etc

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bands like Korn, Slipknot, Down, whatever...I don't like them but was wondering, do these guys do something with their voices to sound like they do? That constant grating screaming. The thing that makes me think it's machine-assisted is not only that it doesn't sound human, but most of these types of vocals are indistinguishable between bands, ie it all tends to sound the same to me. God I hate that.

I actually like screaming, howling voices...if it's real and human and there is some point to it all, or even if not in the case of a pure power showcase. For instance, the guy in System of a Down screams all the time, but it's his real voice and to me it's partially amusing whether that's intentional or not, he really sounds like he's going into an actual fit. Ripper Owens sounds great to me, I enjoy what he can do even if there is no real reason to be screaming like that.

FWIW, I typically listen to more old-school type of metal like Iced Earth, Judas Priest, Megadeth. In an effort to branch out I try new things all the time but a lot of it disappoints me chiefly for the above reason. Anyway just curious.

Last edited by Wolfchild; 08-03-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see where you're coming from.

For quite a long time I didn't really like what I've seen/heard a few people refer to as "cookie monster vocals." Now, while I've managed to get into some of the harder style of music/vocals, I to come from a more classic metal style where the harsher vocals tended to be Metallica and Megadeth...guys who weren't really singing, but they didn't sound like they're drowning/choking all at the same time.

In coming to enjoy (or at least tolerate) the harsher style of vocals, I still have limits. I suppose my first exposure to the harsher vocals would be Sepultura (w/ Max Cavelera). Albums "Arise", "Chaos A.D." and "Roots" were my limit on the harsh vocals. The only other harsher voice I tolerated, suprisingly, was the mechanized voice of Al Jourgenson (Ministry).

Nowadays, I've come to really enjoy Killswitch Engage (especially newest vocalist Howard Jones), Deftones, Kittie (extra harsh voice at times, but it's coming from a girl!!), System of a Down, Taproot....etc. I think one thing I really like is that there is SOME melodic voice as well. I think Soulfly is one of the only ones where the main singer doesn't have a singing voice. In fact, he ends up inviting guest vocalists to have some melody show up from time to time.

Ok, now I've ranted....but I think that's become common place. Damn.
Old 08-04-04, 01:26 PM
Suspended

I too cannot stand the "cookie-monster" stype of "singing". And its a shame because there are some great bands that I probably would like if it werent for their "singer"
Old 08-04-04, 04:51 PM

Any Chris Barnes fans here?
Old 08-04-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
I too cannot stand the "cookie-monster" stype of "singing". And its a shame because there are some great bands that I probably would like if it werent for their "singer"
Do you like Tom Waits? Not sexually...just his music.
Old 08-04-04, 06:08 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Do you like Tom Waits? Not sexually...just his music.
Never heard his music. But I do like you sexually. Care for a one on one Laker circle jerk?
Old 08-04-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Check out the Deftones. Chino has perfected the art of being able to scream while he breathes in, rather than breathing out. That's how he can do all of those cool primal screams.
Old 08-04-04, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Check out the Deftones. Chino has perfected the art of being able to scream while he breathes in, rather than breathing out. That's how he can do all of those cool primal screams.
Plus he can actually sing as well
Old 08-04-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoa, I didn't know that. That's killer.
Old 08-04-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you Wolfchild. Some singers scream so much that it's too funny!

You can't hear the lyrics and most of the time the screaming overwhelms the good music.

I saw 2 videos of this band "Alexisonfire" where they have one "melodic" singer and this skinny nerd just screaming nonsense sporadically over the first singer... I dunno if they are serious but it's funny as hell.
Old 08-04-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also dig the singer to Avenged Sevenfold (M. Shadows), it seems he's got just about every style covered from cookie monster to very melodic stylings...kinda reminds me of Mike Patton.

Now that I know how Chino does his style...I imagine that Patton must do the same style...his "solo" album is just all totally wacky ass stuff.
Old 08-05-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He stole that from Jack Black.
Old 08-05-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...cause I'm never f'ing stopping and I'm always f'ing singin'...
Old 08-05-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Thrush
He stole that from Jack Black.
The comedian/movie guy?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing how he "stole" that from him?
Old 08-05-04, 11:02 AM

inward singing!
Old 08-05-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I need to check Deftones out then, sounds interesting.

I do like Tom Waits myself. I guess the thing is, it's not so much the gravel voice that I don't like but the way some singers keep at it all the time. I mean if you have constant anger all the time, the singing constantly at full bore, it just gets completely boring to me after a song or two. I could almost fall asleep to some of it.

Years ago I was into Husker Du and they were probably a big influence on some of this, even if only residual by now, but they also had really good songs and lyrics. Guess that's another problem, it sounds like some of these bands are just into a race for more anger/screaming and to top the next guy rather than having any songwriting talent.
Old 08-05-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The comedian/movie guy?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing how he "stole" that from him?
Check out track 9 on the Tenacious D CD. He invents Inward Singing!
Old 08-06-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by C-Mart
Check out track 9 on the Tenacious D CD. He invents Inward Singing!
Hmmm. And this CD was released when? And the Deftones first CD was released when?
Old 08-06-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm. And this CD was released when? And the Deftones first CD was released when?
Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

Old 08-06-04, 12:56 AM
Suspended

Deftones takes his Deftones seriously
Old 08-06-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats why i have always liked the dream theater singer. while its sort of a heavy metal band, the singer never really shouts or screams at the top of his lungs.
Old 08-06-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Thrush
Lighten up Francis, it was a joke.

It was. Wow. Don't ever quit your day job.
Old 08-06-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They grew up watching too much Sesame Street.

COOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKIIIIIIEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!
Old 08-06-04, 08:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It was. Wow. Don't ever quit your day job.
Or you get out of the house more.
Old 08-20-04, 03:52 AM

Re: Question about the vocals of bands like Slipknot, Korn...etc

you guys wanna talk about "cookie monster vocals" check out napalm death and cannible corpse. These two singers will make your throat hurt just by hearing them, seriously. And as for

Originally posted by Wolfchild
Bands like Korn, Slipknot, Down, whatever...I don't like them but was wondering, do these guys do something with their voices to sound like they do? That constant grating screaming. The thing that makes me think it's machine-assisted is not only that it doesn't sound human, but most of these types of vocals are indistinguishable between bands, ie it all tends to sound the same to me. God I hate that.

Yes that is their real voices, John Davis (korn) and corey (slipknot) do not use any sort of voice affects to sound differant. They sound like that naturally, and if you ever hear them just plain talking it is easy to see they are not faking it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.