Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with the group Concrete Blonde

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I heard a song from this group was in the end credits to an eppy of "Red Shoe Diaries". The song: "Mexcian Moon" was played throughout and I loved it! Years later I finally downloaded song.

So I went to amazon.com and checked out there CDs. I take it the group is Mexican?

Again, has anybody heard of them, if so how are the rest of their songs?
Old 08-02-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the songs Bloodletting and Joey. Heard them first back 13-14 years ago.
Old 08-02-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anybody familiar with the group Concrete Blonde

Originally posted by vallerie
So I went to amazon.com and checked out there CDs. I take it the group is Mexican?
Close. They're from L.A.
Old 08-02-04, 01:46 AM

I remember when Joey came out years ago and it was all over the radio. I think they followed it up with a song called Caroline which I really liked. They pretty well disappeared after that.
Old 08-02-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm familiar with them. They're not exactly Mexican, but they did acquire a Mexican flavor late in their career.

Bloodletting is one of their best and most successful albums, but the self titled debut album, Free and Mexican Moon are all great as well. Their reunion album, Group Therapy, was a big disappointment and I never grew to love the "Concrete Blonde Y Los Illegals" album. Wow! And it looks like they just came out with another album- Mojave. Haven't heard it yet (I just found it while typing this thread).

Anyway, Bloodletting, or Mexican Moon are two good places to start. Or else they've got at least two different best of compilations if you just want an overview of their stuff to start with.
Old 08-02-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been a big fan of Concrete Blonde for the past 11 years. I think Bloodletting and Mexican Moon are their two best albums but I've lately been listening to their self-titled album a lot (over and over again

Someone said they were disappointed with Group Therapy. So was I when it came out but after several more listens it has really grown on me. However, Mojave (their latest) still hasn't grown on me yet.

A highly recommended, and seemingly underrated, group. Johnette has a terrific voice.

Michael
Old 08-02-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What Tscott said. Like 'em... they still tour today. I heard Joey on the radio yesterday and it brought me right back to the time period when that song was such a big smash. I remember every time I heard a band like that on the radio I was thinking "You go girl/boy/band." It was still a bit odd hearing alternative bands on Top 40. Of course, the song Joey isn't all that wild, but a lot of CB's music is.
Old 08-02-04, 09:41 AM

I used to love CB. I haven't listened to them for a while, but I should break out those CDs. They have the type of music that needs to grow on you IMO, but definitely Bloodletting is their best - kind of Gothic, dark, etc. Pick it up and listen to it a few times before you make a decision.
Old 08-02-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think "Pump Up the Volume" with Christian Slater made this band moderately famous. My high school girlfriend put "Joey" on a mix tape for me. Ah, memories.
Old 08-02-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dance along the Edge is my favorite track by them from their self titled cd which i bought back in 86 when i was in HS,still listen to it from time to time
Old 08-02-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
They're one of my all-time favorites, and a fantastic live act. Any of their albums are good, but I'm not nearly as fond as the last two, Group Therapy and Mojave. For some reason both of those albums are fairly mellow, but when the play the songs in concert, they're much faster and more energetic. I didn't really appreciate most of the songs on those two until I'd heard them live.

Johnette really does have a great voice and I'd highly recommend seeing one of their concerts if you get the chance.

As for their albums, if you liked Mexican Moon, I'd suggest picking up that album and then Bloodletting. The album Walking in London is similar in sound to those two and I think has some really outstanding tracks, but a lot of people think it's uneven. Their self-titled album and Free are both rawer sounding and more punk.

I think they're all worth getting, but I'd just start slowly and get one of the recommended CDs, see what you think and then go from there.
Old 08-02-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked them as well. Joey was played here in Canada ad naseum.
Old 08-02-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just discovered CB about 6 months ago when I found a cheap copy of Mexican Moon at a thrift store. I got lucky and then found a copy of the tour edition of Bloodletting and I was happily hooked!

-Gunshy
Old 08-02-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
"Joey" is one of those songs that (upon first hearing) grabbed me and never let go. Johnette's vocals rattled me to my core. That song still gets to me. Damn...

They're gonna tour the west coast during August and will stop in Solana Beach (North of San Diego) on the 14th. I think I may go see 'em.
Old 08-02-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All their albums are good, up to and including "Mexican Moon", "Bloodletting" being their best. I haven't heard anything from their newer material, though.
Old 08-03-04, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by movieking
I liked them as well. Joey was played here in Canada ad naseum.
Must've been a deep song to get paled so many times!
Old 08-03-04, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by GoVegan
I think they're all worth getting, but I'd just start slowly and get one of the recommended CDs, see what you think and then go from there.
That's what I'm going to do. i want to especially check out "Bloodletting". I'm hoping to find it the Cd at a used CD place!

Wow! Thanks guys for all your replies!

Last edited by vallerie; 08-03-04 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Saw 'em about ten years ago at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor. Great, GREAT live act.

I was pleased to see them get back togther so soon after breaking up.
Old 08-11-04, 11:52 PM

Tomorrow, Wendy = Best Song Ever
Old 08-12-04, 11:20 PM

great band

I saw them live twice. One of those times was opening for Sting (yes!) I believe it was on Bloodletting. Check out the first 4. Or get Recollections or Still IN Hollywood which is the greatest hits. They started out late in the LA punk/goth scene.

I think Johnette took a few years off and the writing never came back.

Last edited by DocBrass; 08-12-04 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've listened to them for quite some time also (starting after Bloodletting, but quickly picking up the earlier stuff).

I dunno, Mexican Moon (which I still have) is a sort of goofy CD, I never really understood the point. For me, my favorite CDs by them are:

1. Bloodletting
2. Free
3. Still In Hollywood (sort of a greatest hits, has a live version of Tomorrow, Wendy).

They reformed a couple of years ago and are (were) touring again, though I didn't see them.
Old 08-13-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just asking about them the other day... heard a song of theirs and didnt know what the hell it was. Kind of reverse dejavu or something.
Old 08-13-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the tune "It'll Chew You Up and Spit You Out"
Old 08-13-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Sky Is A Poisonous Garden tonight. Roses Grow. Little Sister. God Is A Bullet. Song For Kim (She Said). Ghost Of A Texas Ladies' Man. Heal It Up. And one of my very favorites...Rain.

Just a few more songs for fun. Johnette sent me a postcard in the 90's, she's really nice.

Too bad the band had so many problems, because they hit their peak with Mexican Moon. It's spectacular! Check out, Jenny, I read. It's almost as catchy as Caroline and Joey.

They also have a Live in Brazil 2 disc cd. I saw them live in Phoenix where they were billed to headline a concert of about 5 bands. We got there, they played about 8 songs and left. I was then told by some people in the crowd that the radio station had put out bad information and that Joan Jett was the headliner. We left.

Group Therapy really grew on me, Mojave has way too much filler after starting with a very promising first track.

Johnette's voice is as good as anyone's. I hope to hear much more of it.
Old 08-15-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Concrete Blonde opened for Sting back in 1991 @ Illiniois State and we road-tripped over from IU. Fantastic show and they were a great band live.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.