Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question on Farscape Season 1 set - episode order

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question on Farscape Season 1 set - episode order

I was thinking of watching Farscape season 1 through Netflix. I look at their listing of the discs. They have it as an 11-disc set. However, it seems the discs/episodes aren't in order.

For example:
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 1 & 7: Premiere / I, E.T.
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 2 & 4: Exodus from Genesis / Throne for a Loss
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 3 & 6: Back and Back / Thank God It's Friday Again
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 5 & 8: PK Tech Girl / That Old Black Magic
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 11 & 13: Till the Blood Runs Clear / Rhapsody in Blue
Farscape: Season 1: Episodes 12 & 14: The Flax / Jeremiah Crichton

the rest are in order.
Is this correct? It seems kind of dumb. Does it make sense to even attempt to watch them out of order? At 2 episodes a disc I'm not even sure its worth trying to watch via netflix anyways.
Old 07-30-04, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have episode numbers and "air dates" confused. The early Farscapes were filmed out of order to reuse sets and cut down the budget. They were aired as they were filmed. The order on the DVDs is the order they are meant to be viewed. I think that's what Henson mentioned when the season 1 DVDs were released.
Old 07-30-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If I remember right, the first half of season 1 (I'm going by memory) the air dates in the US on the SciFi channel were different than the rest of the world. Sounds like they were put on the discs in US broadcast order. I like the international ordering slightly better, but it doesn't matter much plotwise.

Last edited by adamblast; 07-30-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 03:39 PM

Jeraden has posted the U.S. Sci-Fi channel airing order beside each episode. The Season 1 ADV Region 1 discs that Netflix rents out show the episodes in a more "proper" order based on Henson's timeline. Which is still different that the R2 sets sold in the U.K. But as adamblast said, it doesn't matter much in the early episodes.

If it means anything, Farscape.com (Henson's Site) has the episodes in the same order as ADV. Farscape.com links to both the BBC sites and the Sci-Fi sites that then show the episode listings in the order that they aired the show.

Last edited by gman1339; 07-30-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, what I posted is just what I cut and pasted from Netflix, each of those 2-episode combos are each of the discs in the dvd set.
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...30712&trkid=73

I'd have thought the first season of a show, especially the first few episodes, would be important to view in the proper order. Thats why I don't really understand why episodes 1&7 are on the first disc. I've never seen the start of the series though, so maybe after the first episodes they are pretty much standalone, I dunno. I just wanted to see if the dvd order was ok to watch as it was or if I needed to watch them in the actual episode # order instead of dvd sequence order. But I guess you guys are saying dvd order is fine. So thanks.
Old 07-30-04, 04:39 PM

Yes,

I, E.T. was aired as the 7th episode here in the U.S. on Sci-Fi channel, which is what you are seeing from Netflix. But based on what www.farscape.com shows as the episode order, it should be the 2nd episode. ADV did the region 1 season 1 DVDs well after season one was done. I think they started coming out when season 3 was airing in the U.S. So they had plenty of time to get the order right.

The thing that drives me crazy about the order is the fact that they were not filmed in correct order and the costumes in the early episodes tend to evolve and then revert the the old styling in the next episode. I think Anthony Simcoe eludes to this in the extras on one of the discs. I'm not sure which disc though, since I own all 4 seasons.

Yes,

the early episode are pretty much stand-alone.