Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do people react to your DVD collection?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-28-04, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DVD collection includes a lot of classic, obscure, or low-budget horror and sci-fi titles. As such, when they come over and suggest we watch a movie, people often stare at my shelf with bewildered looks on their faces. 90 percent of the time, the only thing that a person will want to watch from my DVD collection is Boogie Nights.

My friend is in a similar situation. He has a lot of Criterions and foreign films, and most people who go to him to borrow a movie walk away with nothing. It's sad, there's so many great movies in our collections, but people know nothing about them and ignore them, saying insightful things like, "You have a lot of horror movies!"

It gets old. Where I live, if it's not American Pie, Euro Trip or Jay and Silent Bob, people don't know what the hell it is.
Old 07-28-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear "wow, you got a library!" and "well I'm never going to Blockbuster again!" a lot.

Poor cretins, they think I lend stuff out that easy?
Old 07-28-04, 10:29 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well my Mom calls me the local Blockbuster and everyone else just says are you nuts?? I have over 500 Hong Kong, Japanese, and Korean titles in my collection, so it's not easy when someone comes over to borrow something. I also have a huge line of Italian gore movies so it's pretty hard to help people find what they want. I always get is that movie in English? I can't read subtitles how am I going to pay attention to the movie. I also hate to let people borrow my foreign stuff those are the discs I worry about most. So they just walk out in frustration.

Last edited by Mok; 07-28-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen people shake upon viewing my collection, their awe is so overwhelming. During a party at my house I saw one fine bada-bing looking woman kneeling in front of my collection, and I heard her say "my husband is such and idiot". She was all over me for the rest of the night, and I barely knew her.
Old 07-28-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Most of my friends don't know about the majority of the DVDs I have, or don't care to know about them. A few of my 'fine film fanatic' friends love my collection.

The consistent question I get:
How/why do you have so many DVDs in your collection?

The consistent answer I give:
Because I love film.

Originally posted by MrVette99
I've seen people shake upon viewing my collection, their awe is so overwhelming. During a party at my house I saw one fine bada-bing looking woman kneeling in front of my collection, and I heard her say "my husband is such and idiot". She was all over me for the rest of the night, and I barely knew her.
Nice
Old 07-28-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
most ppl just at my collection. ppl will say, wow you've got as much as Blockbuster or now I know where all your money goes too. they also comment as to why half of my DVDs still aren't opened yet.
Old 07-28-04, 10:57 AM

They stare, some guys were doing work on the house so they needed me to open the door while they laid carpet down, 5 guys just stopped cold for a good minute staring. But as for people I know and not complete strangers, they ask to borrow stuff, I laugh and tell them hell no, good times.
Old 07-28-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My parents said I had a Blockbuster in my room back in November/December of last year when I had 182 DVDs (90% TV Shows) now that my collection is down to 126 DVDs (~43% TV Shows) they don't really borrow movies to watch as much as they used to.

I had a friend come over recently (he hadn't seen my collection since it was hovering around 40 DVDs) and said "wow, you've got a bunch of DVDs".

I've always collected something, back in the day it was basketball cards and then it was computer/video games.

Hopefully CH will get their act together so I can open a couple more accounts and get some movies back in my collection
Old 07-28-04, 11:04 AM

I only have about 175 DVD's...but people that come over usually say "damn you got a lot of movies"
Old 07-28-04, 11:05 AM

I should add that I have my adult titles on the main shelf next to the other films, so those always get a nice reaction.

I've never been treated as a blockbuster, I think everyone knows that I don't lend movies. It does make me feel good when people say that I have a lot of DVDs, though, even if they don't recognize half of them.
Old 07-28-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My roommates got addicted to buying DVDs when they saw all the ones coming to me in the mail, and I was telling them prices. I can now proudly say that all four of them have over 100 a piece now, muahah. I try to stay just below 600 (some mental thing where I don't have a monkey on my back if it doesn't go over 600...) so I've been selling/giving a bunch away recently. My parents and girlfriend generally just consider me crazy, and hope that when I get out of school I have a bit more spending control =P. Plenty of kids in my film classes at school are envious, and borrow things often.
Old 07-28-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually with slack-jawed amazement.
Old 07-28-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only about 225 here, but people are still sometimes impressed, most don't like my collection as my generation is infatuated with garbage like 'fast and furious.
Old 07-28-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually, I hear "How much money you got in that?" (sic) Another popular reaction is "Wow, can I borrow (insert title)?)" Whenever my sister-in-law comes in to visit, I always hide my new ones because she will want to take them back across the state to "borrow" them ("I promise I will mail them back after I watch them"). Some people just have no couthe whatsoever. I made the mistake of letting my brother-in-law and his wife borrow one 3 months ago and I haven't seen it since. It was kinda cool to have people react to my collection for a while, a little conceited, I know. Now, I have them sort of to the side of the room out of the way so attention isn't drawn to them and many people miss them. I have too many moochers in the family.
Old 07-28-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep mine locked in a cabinet and other out of the way areas. It's intended to keep them safe from the 1 year old, but it has a beneficial side effect of avoiding these types of comments. It also prevents people from being temped to borrow anything.
Old 07-28-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
100% of the time, reactions fall into these categories:

A. Criticism. "Why do you own so many DVDs?" "There's no way you have time to watch all of these." "What a waste of money!"

B. Begging. "Wow, can I borrow a dozen of these [and take months/years to return them]."

C. Both A and B. These are the funniest of the bunch. The people who treat me like I'm insane for having so many titles, and then ask to borrow a pile of 'em.

For these reasons (and because I don't think that DVDs are particularly attractive as 'decoration'), I keep them out of sight. I don't lend out my DVDs to anyone and I don't want to deal with rationalizing my spending habits to people.
Old 07-28-04, 12:04 PM

I usually get "I forgot, you have everything." Now this pisses me off, b/c they're basically saying I'm a loser. I have just a little over 300. That is alot but not compared to some people here on this site. I don't really know where I'm going with this, so I'll just say that comment irks me.
Old 07-28-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by vice86
I only have about 175 DVD's...but people that come over usually say "damn you got a lot of movies"
I have about 250 and that's what I get all the time. In fact, I got tired of hearing that every single time people came over (and the fact that my dvds were dominating my main room), so I moved them into a more low key room.
Old 07-28-04, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

I only have about 20, so most people don't even notice my 'collection'
Old 07-28-04, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nagheenanajar
I don't really know where I'm going with this, so I'll just say that comment irks me.
Not really sure why, but that was hilarious.

I usually get the dry, dumb, sarcastic comments like, "Where do you keep your dvd's?" or "Do you have any dvd's?" after they see them.

I don't respond.
Old 07-28-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I hear "wow, you got a library!" and "well I'm never going to Blockbuster again!" a lot.

Poor cretins, they think I lend stuff out that easy?
That's what a lot of people say when they see my meager collection. Then they start to pout when I tell them they probably won't be able to borrow a damn thing.
Old 07-28-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
not many have seen it but I sometimes get the "wow you have a lot of movies". then again the number I have is nothing compared to some of the DVDtalk members here that have 500+
Old 07-28-04, 01:07 PM

MrVette99, I've never heard of a women being impressed/turned on by the massive size of someone's....dvd collection

I don't have enough to warrant many reactions, hopefully getting a real job after college should help build it, though
Old 07-28-04, 01:11 PM

online, when someone comments on my collection they'll usually say "cool collection" or "some nice movies in there"

when people see it in real life I usually get an "oh my god, you're crazy" reaction
Old 07-28-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Most are impressed with my collection of ~200. I'm quick to point out that 18 feature Arnold Schwarzenegger

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.