Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else just about had it with DVD Profiler?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always kind of liked putting my new DVDs into it, but their updates have become so infrequent it's become too much of a chore. There are DVDs that have been out for many many weeks that still aren't in their db.

Old 07-28-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find that the only option in terms of getting a great selection of titles is DVDaf. Profiler is pretty spiffy since it allows me to mark titles as 'lent out' but I'm too lazy to enter my multi-region titles to their DB, so it becomes pointless.

When I saw the thread title I thought you'd put DVD Profiler in accidentally instead of Guzzlefish.

Last edited by drjay; 07-28-04 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen an update in ages. I pretty much just manually add everything myself now.
Old 07-28-04, 09:15 AM

I always liked Profiler because it was actual software, and it kept the db local. But I guess I'll be moving to DVD Af now. It's not worth it to me to keep a written list of DVDs I need to add if/when they do an update.
Old 07-28-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys know you can just add the dvd manually, and then when the update hits, it will automatically add a picture and the description, right?
Old 07-28-04, 09:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Meatpants
I always liked Profiler because it was actual software, and it kept the db local. But I guess I'll be moving to DVD Af now. It's not worth it to me to keep a written list of DVDs I need to add if/when they do an update.

Why do you keep a written list? If I'm in a rush, I just put in the UPC + title in as a "placeholder" and help fill in/submit a profile later on. It's there even if there's no data in it, but at least it holds the spot while awaiting an update.

The only time I had to keep a written list was when DVDProfiler was actually down.

It's your own call to switch, but DVDAf has it's own set of issues, so you're probably trading one set of problems for another.

Edit: Whoops, posted too late. What Quake said
Old 07-28-04, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by drjay
Profiler is pretty spiffy since it allows me to mark titles as 'lent out' but I'm too lazy to enter my multi-region titles to their DB, so it becomes pointless.
Profiler has the largest database of titles from all regions that I'm aware of, so you should rarely have to submit a new entry. (Just be sure that in the "Add DVD by Title" feature that you select "Any Region" from the drop-down Region list.) The lack of support for non-R1 discs is one of the major reasons that I stopped using Aficionado and Guzzlefish.

I, too, don't understand why Profiler's updates have become so infrequent. Being a bit compulsive, I manually (and completely) add my titles to Profiler, but that is too time-consuming for most people. I agree with the suggestion to simply manually add the UPC of new discs which are not yet in the database. You can then enter as much or as little additional information as you like, and it will be automatically updated once the title is in the database.
Old 07-28-04, 11:10 AM

Umm to answer your question, no. I mean on the rare occasion something comes out that doesn't have a profile I just make one myself. I mean if I actually have the dvd in hand it is a piece of cake.
Old 07-28-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Those of you who aren't finding new titles in the database, are you creating a profile and submitting it? They used to allow that even for users of the free version--the one title I bought that they didn't have, I contributed a profile of [without scans].

Or just enter UPC and title, and wait for someone else to do the work.

I've tried DVDAf, Guzzler, etc, but keep going back to DVDProfiler. I like having a local database instead of just online, I like their filtering, I like their sharing, it's just easier to use and offers more for me.
Old 07-28-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the plus side, I'm assuming that the updates have slowed down lately because they're getting the next version ready for release.
Old 07-28-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can say that I have had not had a problem with a DVD not being in the database upon release date for a long long time. Sometimes pre-orders I have (i.e. ST:TOS Seasons 2 and 3) aren't in there yet, but they always show up when I get the DVD. I'm surprised... Are they more obscure titles?
Old 07-28-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The only time I've run into it was when I got a copy of an anime 'Perfect Collection' that was a PVT from Blockbuster, and as far as I can tell, wasn't released for general sale yet. No retailer had this disk even listed as 'Coming soon', but when it did come out, it looked exactly like the one I had and was exactly the same.
Old 07-28-04, 12:30 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Like others,I have no problem. Sometimes they don't do massive updates for a couple of days, but most stuff is added before it's even released, and if I think it hasn't been added, I create the profile myself (and I'm on the free version).

To be honest, I just need the list of titles anyway. The Profiles don't tell me anything I don't already know.
Old 07-28-04, 12:32 PM

Just use Excel. It just has so much more power!
Old 07-28-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The biggest issue I have is that they refuse to update some of the "other-region" titles I have put in, such as the cover pictures. Since I move my database between 4 different machines using the upload/download feature, it is really annoying to not have the cover photos except on the machine where I submitted the title.
Old 07-28-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I write down all of my DVD titles on tiny slips of paper and shove them into my wallet, Costanza style.

"Hmm.... free guitar lesson..."
Old 07-28-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Profiler had an update today.
Old 07-29-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I kicked DVDProfiler to the curb quite a while ago. Their refusal to support IMPORT capabilities and the klunky interface caused me to look elsewhere. I'm quite happy with Ant Movie Catalog.
Old 07-29-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a new alternative to DVDAf that is quickly becoming my favorite DVD cataloger: www.dvdspot.com When you submit a title within 24 hours it is put into the system, nice filter feature, pretty nice stats, and a nice look to it too. I haven't finished adding all my titles into it yet so I haven't switched out DVDaf from my sig yet, but you can view my collection at DVDSpot here: my DVDSpot collection

I really like it and the guy who runs the site is very helpful and very open to criticism and suggestions which is a big plus in my book. Check it out.
Old 07-29-04, 01:10 AM
boe
Suspended

I tried it out but didn't like the way it reported data. I created a DB in Access that does exactly what I want it to do but then I have to enter all the data manually. If DVD profiler exported to a database (which they designed) in Access, I would be interested in getting it. I exported the data from dvd profiler to a csv file but that was very limited. I tried the XML file but it would be too much work to create a good relational database to import it with. I used and xml tool but that still wasn't pleasant.
Old 07-29-04, 05:17 AM

When I saw the thread title I thought you'd put DVD Profiler in accidentally instead of Guzzlefish.
Me too.

And dvdprofiler is behind, but not nearly as much as Guzzlefish is right now, so I cant complain too much. Yet.
Old 07-29-04, 07:13 AM
Banned

Has DVDProfiler fixed the problem with improperly displaying characters like "&" and "!"?
Old 07-29-04, 07:15 AM
Banned

Nevermind, it seems they have.
Old 07-29-04, 07:57 AM

I also recommend checking out www.dvdspot.com. The site is free, easy to use, and has some very good stats. And when it comes to submitting dvd titles, 70% of mine get approved within a few hours. As fnordboy mentioned the guy that runs the site is very friendly and is always adding features.

Old 07-29-04, 09:10 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I had it with DVDProfiler more than a year ago. The only one that works for me is DVD Aficionado, 'bare-boned' as it is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.