Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the producers of PTI high - guest hosts?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Tony and Wilbon are on vacation. Who do they use as guest hosts? Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless.

Skip Bayless???? This guy was bounced from the Sports Reporters eons ago - for good reason. I didn't even know he was still alive.

I'm getting a headache watching this crap. If there is a god, there will be new guest hosts after today.
Old 07-26-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be honest ... I don't have a problem with Stephen A. Smith. I know a lot of people hate him, but he has a shtick, he pokes fun at himself, and I'm fine with it. I don't want to see a lot of him, but as a periodic guest host or dropping by for 5 Good Minutes now and again, that's cool. Besides, Scott Van Pelt's impression of him during the Open was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

But Skip Bayless?!?!?! To quote, Smith, "this guy is terrrrible!!" I can think of 20 people off the top of my head who would have made a better host. Couldn't they find anyone else? Shit, I'd almost rather have Lupica.

das
Old 07-26-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Where the hell was Bob Ryan? I figure that he would be dying to get out of Boston this week. He should get permanent guest host status - kind of like Jay Leno had on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

I agree to some degree on Smith - I still don't care for him, so if he is on 5 Good Minutes that is fine since I simply jump forward when they discuss the NBA. Van Pelt's impression was
Old 07-26-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If nothing else, my hatred for Skip Bayless come purely from his stints as guest host on the kiss my ass to get on the air Rick Barry show here in the Bay Area. I too really don't have a problem with Steven A Smith, though he is a bit hyper.
Old 07-26-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Why does Wilbon get so many days off? I think he's been on for like two days these past weeks.
Old 07-26-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
[B]Besides, Scott Van Pelt's impression of him during the Open was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.[B]
That is going down as one of the funiest sports moments ever!

So the guest hosts weren't that wonderful. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone hates Lebatard (I know why people hate Smith but I just think he's funny). This is the price of being a PTI fan, every summer we have sit through sucky replacements hosts.
Old 07-26-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by outcastja
Why does Wilbon get so many days off? I think he's been on for like two days these past weeks.

They are both usually off for several weeks with some overlap during the summer. Also, Wilbon travels a lot on sports coverage for the Post (for example, he will likely be going to Athens for the Olympics).
Old 07-26-04, 06:20 PM

They could not have picked two worse "guest" hosts for this. I'd rather have the hateable Lebatard and Bob Ryan.
Old 07-26-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by lisadoris
That is going down as one of the funiest sports moments ever!

So the guest hosts weren't that wonderful. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone hates Lebatard (I know why people hate Smith but I just think he's funny). This is the price of being a PTI fan, every summer we have sit through sucky replacements hosts.

I like LeBatard. If they put Ryan and LeBatard or Norman Chad on, I would be quite content. Even David Aldredge would be okay and I hate the NBA.
Old 07-26-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LeBatard was terrible when he first co-hosted. After that experience, he lightened up a lot, and they started poking fun at how much people hated him in the beginning. I doubt many people hate him anymore, but the "hateable" moniker is funny, so they run with it.

das
Old 07-26-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ryan and Norman Chad would be the best guest host team .
Old 07-26-04, 07:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Skip Clueless was on there? Glad I missed it.

The only time I'm not annoyed by him is when he goes off on Sammy Sosa. He was one of the few reporters in Chicago, when he was with the Tribune, that didn't fall for Sosa's act.
Old 07-26-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get a kick out of Steven A. especially when he hosts with Tony (since Tony is like the only dude who can go toe to toe with him). Bayless is too easy to push over and Steven does just that to him whenever they are on the weekend SC.
Old 07-26-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get used to it boys, they'll be on till Wed. I already told my wife to delete the episodes off the Tivo w/ extreme predjudice b/c of these two doofuses being the cohosts. Where's David Aldridge when you need him?
Old 07-26-04, 10:04 PM

LeBatard is one of my favorite sports reporters. I was listening to his radio show a few weeks ago, he said his homerun call would be "I'm Rick James, Pitch!"

I like Norman Chad too, although sometimes his jokes fall flat.
Old 07-26-04, 11:04 PM

Aldrige is out at ESPN, his contract wasn't picked up. Steven A. Smith is now the main basketball guy at ESPN.
Old 07-27-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DA being out at ESPN really stinks. While I don't mind Smith, DA was much better. As for Skip Bayless, he sucks. I have never FF'd; through a PTI but i did today and every time i stopped it was [cue bill walton]horrible[/end bill walton]
Old 07-27-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MFRONE
Aldrige is out at ESPN, his contract wasn't picked up. Steven A. Smith is now the main basketball guy at ESPN.
Wow, I didnt know they let D.A. go. That sucks.

Personally I dont mind Stephen A. Smith.
Old 07-27-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind Smith at all. Plus, I like crapping shards of glass.

I'm disappointed to hear that Aldrige is gone. When I saw SAS on PTI, I flipped away and breathed easy, but to see that he's going to be the primary NBA guy is damn sad.
Old 07-27-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

It doesn't surprise me that ESPN went for the shock reporter style of Smith over Aldredge. Typical of the whole way this network is going - downhill.
Old 07-27-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Skip bayless is a pompous, self-righteous dick. When he guest hosts for Jim Rome (who I'm also not a fan of) he practically touts himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ. And then he spews out three hours of negative energy. He's worthless.

S.A.S. I have less of a problem with. Though I'm certainly not a fan.
Old 07-27-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh. As I said, I have no problem with Smith and even enjoy him sometimes, but letting D.A. go? That most non-triumphant.

das
Old 07-27-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should get someone like.....

* 30 second pause *

...Jim Rome.

Late.

Out.
Old 07-27-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The very idea of replacing DA with Stephen A. Smith offends me. I enjoyed Aldridge's reporting, and I can't stand the NBA. He also made a good PTI guest host.

I won't be watching today and tomorrow. I can't stand those two dopes.
Old 07-27-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where did we hear DA was leaving ESPN?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.