Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

The constant Star Wars threadcrapping

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we please do something about the constant and prolific thread crapping anytime the words Star Wars appears anywhere in the title? For example, take a look at how quickly the innocuous discussion of the Episode Three title quickly devolved into the tired "How Much Ass George Lucas Sucks" tirade that people seem unable to let go of.

I don't begrudge peoples opinions of the film or the man or how much ass he does or does not suck. If someone thinks that Phantom Menace is the biggest piece of shit ever committed to film history of Hollywood, and Lucas is responsible for more crimes against humanity than Hitler, then great - that's their prerogative. However it is extremely frustrating to see any aspect (the new title, the upcoming DVD set) slagged on by the same handful of people, copy-and-pasting the same tired arguments again and again and again and again and again.

People hate the changes to the special editions. We get that already.

And since it is only going to get worse as we get closer to the set's release and the premiere of Revenge of the Sith, can we get some enforcement of the thread crapping rules here?
Old 07-26-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that you have to enforce both sides of this. Any time a <b>Star Wars</b> discussion starts, there seems to be a race to be the first one to mock what they believe to be the inevitable negative response. Taunting the opposing viewpoint in that manner doesn't help curb the problem.

das
Old 07-26-04, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Apply it across the board, to both pro and con parties - nothing would make me happier. I'd support that in a hot second.

And of course the suppression of opinion is a bad thing - go ahead and say that EIII sucks (once you've seen it), so completely outlawing negative comments is not appropriate. But to make the leap from "Hey, Episode III is called Revenge of the Sith" to "Luca$ sucks ass and I hate the Special Editions" in the span of a handful of posts is really getting old.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 07-26-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
People hate the changes to the special editions. We get that already.
Well, sometimes, if a member voices disapproval for changes (like say, a TV show - stern look at das ), die-hard fans will pull out the ax and spill blood all across the thread, which just makes the other side even more hostile.

Rather than complaining about threadcraps in said thread, the best action probably would be reporting every infammatory post in the thread or just asking a mod to make a general in-thread warning. Or better yet, ignore it and make an effort to improve the flow of the thread.
Old 07-26-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
For example, take a look at how quickly the innocuous discussion of the Episode Three title quickly devolved into the tired "How Much Ass George Lucas Sucks" tirade that people seem unable to let go of.
Are you talking about "Revenge of the Sith it is!!!!"???

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=376507

The title of that thread implies that it'll be about the new Episode III title, but it immediately starts (in the first post) with screen caps from the changes to Return of the Jedi. That thread didn't go off topic, it STARTED off topic.

What I'm seeing in most of these threads is pretty well thought-out, articulate responses about the Lucas changes, both pro and con. But the 'con' responses are immediately labeled as trolls and threadcraps.

There's been very little "Luca$ sux, he raped my childhood" posting lately. But there's been a lot of attacks against people who post valid opinions. I've seen people in these threads accused of threadcraps and personal attacks who (if you actually read the posts) have done no such thing.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 07-29-04, 04:14 AM
Banned

Let's face it, anything to do with Star Wars produced after 1980 has had some detractors. The later the production (Prequels, SEs), the less liked it is for the most part.
Old 07-29-04, 09:56 AM
Retired

Something definitely needs to be done. I don't care if people don't like the prequels, SEs etc. but it is thread crapping when it is in threads not specifically discussing the qualities of the movies or talking about changes Lucas made. And this happens all the time as there are certain people that post the same SW/Lucas bashings posts in every SW thread regardless of the topic ****couch***Rivero ****cough*****
Old 07-29-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh bull. Just because Rivero is discussing the changes in a negative way, the Star Wars syncophants have to accuse him of being a threadcrapper.

Rivero was talking about the changes to Vader's lines in the new DVD's - which was a change...in the DVD Talk area.

Just because he didn't like it, people have to start saying "threadcrap" or whatever.
Old 07-29-04, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I can just imagine the thread-crapping that will occur when the announcement is made that Michael Moore's next documentary will focus on continuity errors in the Star Wars films: "George and Me".
Old 07-29-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at page 12 of this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...&pagenumber=12

Rivero says:
Yes, so by that rationale you'd probably be ok with an updated version of 2001: A Space Odyssey with all new digital effects and a better-looking StarChild. Maybe Ray Harryhausen can ok an update of the effects in the films he worked on. They could replace the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts and the Cyclops in Sinbad with brand-new CGI versions. Lang's Metropolis? Needs SERIOUS fixing, a complete overhaul.

Well-written, breaking no rules, no personal attacks, and he's on topic (discussing the changes to the films on the upcoming DVDs). The responses?

GOOD CHRIST! Here we go again WITH THE SAME ARGUMENT FOR THE 10 MILLIONTH F'N TIME!

God damn it give it a rest! None of us think all the changes are good, but bitching endlessly about them won't do anyone any good.

This thread is not called: "Star Wars DVDs: Artistic Merit?" This thread is to share info on the new scenes in the DVDs. Not to talk about the fundamentals of making said changes. If you disagree with any change to any movie for any reason, WHY GET INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION ABOUT CHANGES TO A MOVIE?????? OH YEAH! To piss off those discussing it. Troll.
and

Look, you are not buying the god damned movies - so why the F do you gotta keep crapping all over the place. GO AWAY!

Christ, some people.
Seems to me that Rivero is not the problem here... but rather people who disagree with him and yet cannot either (a) ignore him or (b) debate it in a civil way.

Again, people who don't like the changes have every right to post and discuss it. That isn't threadcrapping. That isn't being a "troll".

"Lucas sux a$$ and can chew on my Frodo" is a troll. This isn't.
Old 07-29-04, 10:56 AM
Retired

Originally posted by chanster
Oh bull. Just because Rivero is discussing the changes in a negative way, the Star Wars syncophants have to accuse him of being a threadcrapper.

Rivero was talking about the changes to Vader's lines in the new DVD's - which was a change...in the DVD Talk area.
His posts in that thread are fine. However, he, and others, bash SW/Lucas in every SW thread, regardless of whether it's discussing Lucas' changes or discussing the quality of the movies.

If a threads just posting some new pics for Episode 3, announcing a title (the real title thread, not the one that had pics from the DVDs in the first post) etc, bashing Lucas or SW in general is off topic trolling, aka thread crapping, and against forum rules.
Old 07-29-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is another very relevant post about the Star Wars DVDs. Keep posting them, the hypocrisy will only grow.

Fine then - I thnk Lord of the Rings is the biggest piece of shit ever to be put on film. I think I'll go into EVERY single thread and post the same tired old argument again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and . . . .

I got no problem with people thinking that Lucas is a baby eating demon, that the special editions are a crime against humanity and that Episode 1-3 suck more than a black hole on a good day. Fine. Great - whatever floats your boat. But why does EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED STAR WARS THREAD have to turn into a "How much ass does Luca$ suck" bashfest?

It gets really old after a while people
Old 07-29-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

However, he, and others, bash SW/Lucas in every SW thread, regardless of whether it's discussing Lucas' changes or discussing the quality of the movies
Thats funny..because as mentioned before, someone posted a thread about the title of Ep.3 and they included in the very first post, pictures of the altered ROTJ DVD. But thats OK, I guess, because he is gushing over SW and not bashing it.
Old 07-29-04, 11:18 AM
Retired

True, there are two sides to this problem, both the thread crappers and the people flaming back need to be dealt with.

Here's some examples of SW thread craps.

From the Ep 3 Title thread (not the closed one that started with DVD pics)

Originally posted by bhk
Shouldn't it be:
Epi$ode 3: Revenge of the $ith?
Originally posted by Abranut
Star Wars Episode III: ROTFL
From the New SW Insider Pics thread:

Originally posted by Rivero
I wonder if this movie will suck.
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
George Lucas has completely lost it.

Why any of us "care" at all about the final Star Wars is beyond me.
Has there been an official release date announced yet for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: The Extended Edition?
From the Teaser Trailer info thread:

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Ahh, I wish I could go back to that time where I actually cared about new Star Wars news. Those were the days.
Seriously. Let's all stop this hatred, unify and re-direct our anger towards Luca$ for sinking this once mighty franchise instead.
From the Two Star Wars Questions thread

Originally posted by Groucho
The answer to all of your questions is simply: Lucas is making it up as he goes along, and rather than find continuity with the older films, he prefers to re-edit those older films to match the newer films instead.
To put it bluntly, because these prequels are lazy, throwaway films. Lucas doesn't give a shit so I'm sure he figures why should you?

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 07-29-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 11:19 AM
Retired

Originally posted by chanster
Thats funny..because as mentioned before, someone posted a thread about the title of Ep.3 and they included in the very first post, pictures of the altered ROTJ DVD. But thats OK, I guess, because he is gushing over SW and not bashing it.
And that was the thread starters fault. There was an Ep 3 title thread (that's still open) and didn't start off that way and some thread craps were in it as well.

Anyway, see my above post for examples of threadcraps which fit the forum rule definition of bashing a movie in a thread not discussing the merits of the movie.
Old 07-29-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put him on ignore a loooong time ago. I take a peek every once in a while but it seems to me he's still posting the same old shit. That one example, bboisvert is not really representative of his responses to Star Wars threads and if you've been here for a while, you know that for a fact so I believe these requests have some merit.
Old 07-29-04, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My "thread-crap" posted above was an actual answer to a question posted in the thread. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it a crap.
Old 07-29-04, 11:29 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Kal-El
if you've been here for a while, you know that for a fact so I believe these requests have some merit.
And again the people flaming the threadcrappers need dealt with as well.

For the most part this issue is a problem centered on a couple of trolls and a couple of fanboys that jump on the flame bait everytime.

Mod warnings/suspensions of a few members would go a long way to rectifying the problem.
Old 07-29-04, 11:43 AM
Retired

I just posted a positive and negative SW dvd discussion threads in DVD Talk and inquired if the mods would close the current DVD changes thread that has turned into a flame war.

Maybe that will solve the problem temporarily as those excited about the dvds can discuss the pics etc without fighting with those pissed that the OT is coming and Lucas is making more changes.

Positive:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=377377

Negative:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=377378

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 07-29-04 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It only turns into a flame war when smartasses decide to be a mod and post how sick they are of the other side. And yes, that includes me at some points.
Old 07-29-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't it the funny that the first person to post in the negative thread is a person trying to start a flame war by totally exaggerting legitimate beefs people have with the subject?

Pretty typical actually.
Old 07-29-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not funny, but definitely typical. That's why I made my post. All the people taunting those with legitimate complaints are as bad, if not worse, than the people they are supposedly mocking. You'd think they'd realize that such behavior serves only to <i>increase</i> the problem.

As I see it, you have two problems here:

1) Threadcraps, constant bitching in the wrong threads.
2) Inability to handle an opposing viewpoint.

There are many people guilty of #1, but from what I've experienced, just as many guilty of #2 who are trying to hide behind #1.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-29-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 12:12 PM
Retired

Again, both sides need to be dealt with.

I asked the poster to delete that post in the negative thread. He got it in before I added my warning that I would report such posts to the mods or else it would have been reported.
Old 07-29-04, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by bboisvert
Well-written, breaking no rules, no personal attacks, and he's on topic (discussing the changes to the films on the upcoming DVDs). The responses?
So I got pissed - sue me, I'm human. It still doesn't change the fact that it's a constant stream of lucas bashing in every star wars thread.

Or does that mean that I can now go into every Lord of the Rings thread and post about how much I hate the movies, provided that it's a well thought out and well spoken post?

An eloquent threadcrap still stinks like shit.
Old 07-29-04, 12:21 PM
Retired

He has a right to bash SW constantly if it's on topic, as it was in the Changes thread.

You be in your right to go into every LOTR thread discussing the quality of the movies or extended editions and say they sucked.

He and others cross the line by doing it in off topic threads, like the few examples I posted the line, and you'd cross the line by posting LOTR sucks in off topic LOTR threads.

As Das said, there are two problems.

1. Thread crappers bashing SW in threads not discussing changes or the quality of the movies.

2. SW fans who are sick of it and flame them even in threads where the bashing opinions are on topic.

Yes it gets old hearing the same crap over and over, but flaming people just exacerbates the problem.

The solution is to just skim over those posts, put some people on your ignore list, and use the "report this post to a moderator" link when someone is thread crapping in a SW thread not discussing changes or the quality of the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.