Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it no good to place your center Speaker on top of your TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-04, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my home theater system I placed my center speaker on top of my TV. It has been there for 4 years, with no problem. I just recently got a 30" widescreen TV from Phillips and since this is a more expensive TV(I'm more concerned), I wonder if this is not a good Idea because of the magnet in the speaker. The speaket is probably 5"X3" and 3" deep, so it is not big at all. What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the speaker was designed for home theater use then it will be magnetically shielded and will be no problem on top of your TV. If the speaker was NOT magnetically shielded be assured that you would have seen color distorsions on the top of the screen of you old TV.
Old 07-26-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It will be fine.
Old 07-26-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Frank S
If the speaker was designed for home theater use then it will be magnetically shielded and will be no problem on top of your TV. If the speaker was NOT magnetically shielded be assured that you would have seen color distorsions on the top of the screen of you old TV.

You may also want to consider a television top shelf. I used one on the advice of some board members and it's the way to go. You can achieve the proper "angled down" positioning of the center channel this way.

If you go to best buy.com and type in television top shelf, you can see what I mean.
Old 07-26-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Actually when I got my new speakers I experimented a little with placement. I had 2 different CC speakers. One was fairly directional, the other a little more open. The one that was directional really needed to be as close to the TV as possible. Otherwise I started noticing that the voices were coming from a "different" place. Sort of "out of body experience).

The other speaker that was a little more open (multi-directional, I guess you could say), could be moved farther away from the TV without it bothering me. Even here tho, I found the best place to be either right above or right below the TV. To the side just didn't work at all.