Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Attn: Static (or someone who can contact him)

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure the best way to do this or the best place to put it, but I believe I'm getting virus emails from <b>Sir Cling</b>'s hotmail account. Attempts to contact him via email get bounced as well. I can delete the thread once he's aware of it, but I don't know how else to get in touch with him, and it seemed somewhat important.

Thanks,

das
Old 07-22-04, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I erased some e-mails so that things won't bounce anymore... stupid junk mail... but the virus e-mails is a new one for me. If a virus infected my computer, could it send out e-mails through web-based Hotmail? Maybe someone just spoofed my address?
Old 07-22-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're not pop/smtping into the hotmail account, then probably not. I guess someone could have been spoofing you, but that seems strange too. Anyway, between the inability to email you and the strange email I got, it seemed prudent to make sure you knew what was up. Perhaps it's an isolated incident.

das
Old 07-22-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I guess someone could have been spoofing you, but that seems strange too.
That's the way almost all of these virii/trojans are spread anymore.
Old 07-22-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but it'd be weird that das got a spoof from static...someone he knew. really low probability of that (unless one of them just has tons of friends) unless the virus was on one of their machines and the emails were harvested from there. or it could be on a third party machine that had both their emails on it and spoofed one and spammed the other...probably someone on this forum
Old 07-22-04, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: spoofing...

Yesterday I was checking my personal Yahoo! email account, and I received an email from my own work email address that contained a virus. It scared me because I thought I had a virus on my work computer--even though it had just received a brand new image just two weeks ago due to HD failure, and I surf carefully while at work (if any).

Well, I checked the 'Full Headers' and noted the IP address. The IP number looked familiar somehow, and then I figured out who it was that was sending the email, by chance and some luck.

Just the day before I received the virus email, I had been trying to figure out which of my friends had left an anonymous comment on my website/blog. By checking the IPs from past comments, I matched it up to a friend's girlfriend's IP. Her IP matched the IP from the email.

So, I called her and told her about the whole situation, and after the whole funny part of "How did you figure out it was me?" she said, "Oh yeah, the computer I use at work is all messed up and it needs to be fixed. It's been like that for weeks."

Fix the DAMN computer already.

The das Monkey/Static Cling connection sounds a little more complicated.
Old 07-22-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Actually, that's not a bad idea. das, if you e-mail me the IP in the headers of one of those messages, I'll compare it against Static's IP in the database...and then maybe see if that IP matches another DVD Talk user.
Old 07-22-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It seems pretty coincidental that I (frequent poster in TV Talk) get a strange virus email from <b>Static</b> (mod of TV Talk). I wonder if this is random chance or an attack specifically directed towards me, and the attacker thought I'd be receptive to an email from <b>Static</b>?

I didn't piss off Frankie, did I?

das
Old 07-22-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Adam Tyner •

Actually, that's not a bad idea. das, if you e-mail me the IP in the headers of one of those messages, I'll compare it against Static's IP in the database...and then maybe see if that IP matches another DVD Talk user.
YGM

das
Old 07-22-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It's definitely not Static -- the IP is very different from his and belongs to a different ISP. The offending IP is a Verizon DSL user, and if I'm interpreting the information on Arin.net correctly, it's based somewhere around TN/VA. I couldn't match that IP (or the first 3 octets) against anyone who's posted on DVD Talk since the beginning of July.

Edit -- actually, the first three octets do match some posts by Trelach24 from mid-May, but his IP addresses are all over the place.
Old 07-26-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by heimerSWT
re: spoofing...

Yesterday I was checking my personal Yahoo! email account, and I received an email from my own work email address that contained a virus. It scared me because I thought I had a virus on my work computer--even though it had just received a brand new image just two weeks ago due to HD failure, and I surf carefully while at work (if any).

Well, I checked the 'Full Headers' and noted the IP address. The IP number looked familiar somehow, and then I figured out who it was that was sending the email, by chance and some luck.

Just the day before I received the virus email, I had been trying to figure out which of my friends had left an anonymous comment on my website/blog. By checking the IPs from past comments, I matched it up to a friend's girlfriend's IP. Her IP matched the IP from the email.

So, I called her and told her about the whole situation, and after the whole funny part of "How did you figure out it was me?" she said, "Oh yeah, the computer I use at work is all messed up and it needs to be fixed. It's been like that for weeks."

Fix the DAMN computer already.

The das Monkey/Static Cling connection sounds a little more complicated.
Holy shit. You have <i>wayyyy</i> too much time on your hands.
Old 07-26-04, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
Holy shit. You have <i>wayyyy</i> too much time on your hands.
Whatever beyotch. It only took like two minutes to do all that anyways.