Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVI connection

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 11:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
DVI connection

I manually searched and was unable to find anything on DVI, so I figured I'd ask my questions in a new thread...

First off, I like to think I'm somewhat knowledgeable on HT Gear, but I am not very versed on the DVI connection. My HD/DVD combo is a few years old and DVI wasn't an option, so I never really bothered to read up on it.

Recently however, I got a HD DVR for HD set #2 and both have a DVI option. I currently have the video connected via component cables (like set #1) but am wondering if it is worth connecting via DVI? I'm assuming DVI is for video and if so, is there a drastic improvement over the component option? Also, where is the best place to buy a DVI cable as I hear they are rather pricey?

Thx.
Old 07-20-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no idea how much better it is... probably depends on your tv. but, i'd use the DVI just so i can say that i use it.

i got my cable from extremephone when i got the dvd player - about $20. i see the cables on ebay for that - i got a dvd to hdmi cable from a seller called lenexpo for $20+shipping.
Old 07-20-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My understanding is that DVI really shines on a plasma or LCD display and that the benefit gained on an RPTV wouldn't truly be realized. I plan on eventually using my DVI connector just to free up a component connection.
Old 07-20-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently got one of the HDDirecTiVos and switched from component to DVI. It's my opinion that HD programming looks pretty much the same on my RPTV, but SD programming looks better. But, as Tsar Chasm says, it does free up a component connection.

Your HD DVR didn't come with a DVI cable?
Old 07-20-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
but am wondering if it is worth connecting via DVI?
Maybe. It will depend on your display device and the source material.

I'm assuming DVI is for video and if so, is there a drastic improvement over the component option?
Maybe. I use my DVI from my HD receiver to my projector. I use component from my main dvd player to my projector. DVD's are upconverted when shown on something like HBO-HD. In this case my actual DVD looks better that that HD broadcast. In the case of true HD I believe the DVI cable and connection help.
Old 07-20-04, 04:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
Your HD DVR didn't come with a DVI cable?
Nope.

Based on the responses, I don't see a need to upgrade (though I may just to free up a component connection eventually.)
Old 07-21-04, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The benefit to DVI is 1-to-1 pixel mapping. If your sourceDVI out and you connect it to the DVI-in of a digital monitor (LCD, LCD-RP, DLP-RP, or LCD-FP/DLP-FP) then every pixel on the source will be displayed EXACTLY the same on the monitor. Perfect transmission of your source to the display.

Otherwise, you're performing several digital-analog-digital conversion on the path, loosing quality each time.

Plasma and traditional HD sets (and tube sets) are NOT digital. You can not get 1-to-1 pixel mapping with these sets. You might eliminate a couple of a2d's, which might help the picture somewhat.
Old 07-21-04, 04:02 PM

In my opinion it IS worth the upgrade. Yes, it does depend on your source and display device, but all else being equal you should see a "cleaner" picture through DVI.
Old 07-21-04, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by gcbrowni
Plasma and traditional HD sets (and tube sets) are NOT digital. You can not get 1-to-1 pixel mapping with these sets. You might eliminate a couple of a2d's, which might help the picture somewhat.
Plasmas are just as digital as LCD's, LCOS, SXRD, and D-ILA. You can get 1-1 pixel mapping on any of these technologies, as long as the individual display model supports it (ie. my Panasonic 42PWD6UY). DLP is, of course, the only true digital display, but that doesn't mean pixel perfect mapping is confined to DLP.
Old 07-23-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by gotapex
Plasmas are just as digital as LCD's, LCOS, SXRD, and D-ILA. You can get 1-1 pixel mapping on any of these technologies, as long as the individual display model supports it (ie. my Panasonic 42PWD6UY). DLP is, of course, the only true digital display, but that doesn't mean pixel perfect mapping is confined to DLP.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought CRT (tube) sets and Plasmas were not fixed pixel displays?
Old 07-23-04, 04:22 PM

No, plasmas are fixed pixel devices. CRT's on the other hand are true analog.
Old 07-26-04, 06:45 PM

Re: DVI connection

Originally posted by Geofferson
Also, where is the best place to buy a DVI cable as I hear they are rather pricey?
Actually, dvi cables are much cheaper than component cables. Yes you could spend $100 on a DVI cable but you don't need to. A good $20 cable is all you need. You won't see a difference between a good cable and an expensive cable like you would for component.
Old 07-26-04, 06:51 PM

It depends on the length and resolution. If you're going over 5 meters at near the limits of single link bandwidth, the cost goes up quite dramatically. You absolutely need a good cable in these cases. However, for lower lengths and or lower resolution/refresh rates, you can go with a pretty cheap cable.
Old 07-26-04, 06:58 PM

It depends on the length and resolution. If you're going over 5 meters at near the limits of single link bandwidth, the cost goes up quite dramatically. You absolutely need a good cable in these cases. However, for lower lengths and or lower resolution/refresh rates, you can go with a pretty cheap cable.
Good point. I was certainly only addressing a short run. However, how does 5+ meter dvi cables compare to 5+ meter component cables in cost?
Old 07-26-04, 09:51 PM

It depends.

I put a DVI cable in the wall, so I wanted to make sure that it could support 1920x1080 at 60hz (progressively). To do this, it either takes a signal amplifier or optical DVI cable. My 10 meter DVI-D fiber optic cable (with electric/optic converters on both ends) was $500. It fully supports the max bandwidth of DVI at that length.

Some people have said that if you have a thick, high quality enough DVI cable, it may work at those lengths. I've heard that 22AWG cabling will work, but I have not tried it. These are the only 22 gauge ones I've seen so far:

http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/dvi_cable.htm

The 10m is $185.

Again, if you don't need max bandwidth or long lengths, you can go much MUCH cheaper. There are good choices down to $15-20 or so.
Old 07-30-04, 01:15 AM

gotapex, my Panny 42PWD6UY just shipped yesterday, can't wait to get it! I was gonna wait to get a DVD player with a DVI output (I'd have to pick up the DVI blade for the TV, also), but now you've got me thinking. I was going to use my Pioneer DV-563A progressive scan DVD player with the component connection, but how much better do you think the DVI would be? Are there still mainly the two budget priced models out there (a Samsung and the Bravo D1)? What DVD player are you using?

Also, any chance you're using DirecTV? How's it look (standard definition). If you've got an HD feed going into the TV, how much better is it? And if so, what are you using for your HD feed? I selected the Panny specifically because we'll still be watching a lot of standard definition programming, but might be interested in checking out HD with either an OTA set-top box of HD DirecTV (anxiously awaiting price reductions on the HD DirecTivos).
Old 07-30-04, 02:03 AM

Try the DV-563A first and see if you like it before spending more money on DVI.

I'm currently using the LG electronics LST-3510A, which is an OTA HDTV box (with one of the absolute best, most sensitive tuners on the market, better than my Samsung SIR-T165, SIR-T151, and SIR-T351) plus a built in DVD player with DVI w/hdcp output. It costed just under $400 new, which I thought was a fair price, since HDTV set top boxes tend to cost about there without the DVD.

I also have a Bravo D1, but that's attached to my JVC DLA-SX21 projector.

Do not get the Samsung, as it uses PC levels for its DVI output. The Bravo uses the correct video levels.

If you do decide to get the DVI setup, please be aware that you need to calibrate that input. The settings will be vastly different from the Component input.

HD, especially over the air, is vastly superior to standard definition. That panny is one of the better at handling SD (though not the absolute best). I'm currently using cable for my SD, which sucks. Voom's was better, but I realized that most of prime time was HD over the air, and that comprised most of my viewing.
Old 07-30-04, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll wait to get a DVI player (which probably means I'll wait a month instead of a week!).

I might have to look into that LG HDTV box / DVD player. I'd like to avoid paying for only a few HD channels through DirecTV, so OTA sounds like a better option. I'll just have to look into what channels I'll be able to get (I'm about 40 miles west of Chicago).
Old 07-30-04, 02:29 AM

Have you plugged your address into here yet?

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
Old 07-30-04, 03:36 AM

Thanks again, I'll have to digest that information and see if I want to dive back into the OTA game.