Community
Search

I just witnessed possibly the biggest DVD fanatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just witnessed possibly the biggest DVD fanatic

I was over at Best Buy pricing a new refigerator and a washer and dryer, when I decided to puruse the DVD section while I was there. I was thinking of picking up Futurama Season 1, and something else, when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I saw a couple with a basket that had just looked like they had won the lottery with how many DVD's were in the basket. I got closer to see what they had, and it looked like the whole store. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to see oif they were actually going to pay for all of these DVD's or just put the basket down(I've seen this before, people trying to show off, and then never end up buying anything." I ended up being right behind them in line today, and I could see how shocked even the guy at the register was to see so many DVD;s in one purchase.

What did they buy you ask?

What DIDn'T they buy would have been a better question.

After he rang up the total......he said to them, "o.k. that will be $2, 852.67"

I couldn't believe someone would drop that kind of money in ne sititng. As anyone seen this happen before?
Old 07-18-04, 08:22 PM
Suspended

The sad part of the story is that they could have probably bought 50% more DVD's with the same amount of cash if they had shopped online.
Old 07-18-04, 08:37 PM

I hope at least they had a Reward Zone card. Best Buy is offering triple points this week if you spend over $125 in DVDs
Old 07-18-04, 08:39 PM

Well, there's only one possible explanation: someone from DVD Talk won the lottery. Come on, we all know its one of you loyal DVD Talkers, so fess up already!
Old 07-18-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or... they might have been robbed and are replacing their DVDs. I've seen it before.
Old 07-18-04, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If my calculations are correct it works out to be about $340 in reward zone GCs... surely there's got to be an easier way though Plus as trigun mentioned depending upon what they bought it probably would have been cheaper online. Each to their own though...

To answer the final question though I've seen people walk out w/ a stack before but never over like a dozen or so.
Old 07-18-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Must have been Ken Jennings and his wife.
Old 07-18-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
Or... they might have been robbed and are replacing their DVDs. I've seen it before.
Yep - my friend and his wife just recently had to do this.
Old 07-18-04, 09:06 PM

Stolen credit card.
Old 07-18-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Must have been Ken Jennings and his wife.
No doubt.
Old 07-18-04, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dammit
Stolen credit card.
Think Citi Bank identify theft commercials.
Old 07-18-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Maybe you spotted our very own pdjennings doing his weekly shopping
Old 07-18-04, 10:00 PM

They might have had their reasons, but I can't believe someone would drop that much cash at best buy on DVDs. Best Buy occasionally has some good deals, but for the most part you can get things so much cheaper online... But of course everyone here already knows that...
Old 07-18-04, 10:16 PM
Cool New Member

I had a friend who worked for the MGM (las vegas hotel) as a flight attendent on their private jet. They would send her out to buy movies and such for the corporate jet.

So dropping a couple grand on a corporate credit card could be a possibility.
Old 07-18-04, 10:20 PM
Banned

I saw that also, there was 2 women besides each other with 1 basket full of DVD movies and 1 basket full of VHS movies.
Old 07-18-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they only buy DVD's for $2, 852.67, or was there anything else in the buggy?
Old 07-18-04, 10:58 PM
Banned

Back

To much surprise, it was not Ken Jennigs(LOL), but an older couple(I would guess in their early 50's). They barely said anything to one another, but just started picking up DVD's. In response to the question, "Was anything else purchased" the answer is a resounding "NO!". They did not appear to purchase anything else. The only thing I could here them say was, "Is this good the wife asks the husband(in some accent, that I couldn't recall where). The husband didn't say a word, but took it from the wife and through it in the basket. He then said, "Don't know but I guess we'll find out." My curiousity had gotten the best of me, and I decided to see what these "DVD freaks of nature" had purchased".

LOTS OF TV

1) MONk
2) Six Feet Under Vol. 1-2
3) Curb Your Enthusiasm
4) a couple of Star Trek TNG Box Sets

Do you want to know the most shocking thing? These guys paid it on a debit card. So, they couldn't possibly have stolen it, since they had to enter their pin number. I wanted to run after them and see what kind of car this couple had, but I thought I would stop being a stalker. Still very shocking to see that much money get thrown on DVD's at one time. I have seen alot(maybe $500-$600), but never ever close to $3,000 and ALL ON DVD's.

I wonder if there registered at DVD Talk?
Old 07-18-04, 11:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I've read that many "Mom & Pop" video stores have found it cheaper to buy their stock from stores like Best Buy and Wal Mart because they can buy them cheaper there than if they purchased them through their wholesale connections.

Perhaps this is what they were doing.

This is one of the reasons some stores put a limit on the number of DVDs you can purchase of a particular title. They don't want video rental stores (or other stores that sell DVDs) to buy up all their stock and leave them with none for the true customers.

Last edited by rich-y; 07-18-04 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldnt call them fanatics. Bulk shopping is usually not a fanatic thing to do. Camping out on the release date is fanatic.

Although the possibility of ALL those dvds they bought came out on THAT day, might be a bit slight.
Old 07-19-04, 12:20 AM

That would be like if I bought my entire dvd collection in one day. Well. . . almost.
Old 07-19-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Somebody should have told them about the DDD 20% off sale.
Old 07-19-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: I just witnessed possibly the biggest DVD fanatic

Originally posted by Dalvin
(I've seen this before, people trying to show off, and then never end up buying anything."
You've seen someone do this? They must be the biggest losers in the world if they found the need to stock a basket full of DVD's and not buy them just to show off.

Anyway, back on topic. I could have bought a a great TV for the amount they spent on DVD's. Damn.
Old 07-19-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All they need to do now is to pull a "Rent Boy" by nailing the door, store the nceassary stuff in a fridge next to the recliner, and have a 300+ DVD changer connected to a big screen TV with DTS.
Old 07-19-04, 02:51 AM

we all know that buying online is cheaper, but come on, if you could we would all go into a shop and drop that money! Think about the impulse buys you would get.
Old 07-19-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I've seen this sort of thing several times, mostly at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, where it's not that unusual to see baskets filled with CDs or DVDs. The usual explanation: foreign visitors taking advantage of the fact the in general the cost for these items is less here in the U.S., and right now the exchange rate is a winner for people from UK, EU, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.