Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under [7/18/04]

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 07:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Six Feet Under [7/18/04]

That's My Dog

With Keith out of town on business, David gets taken for a ride by a hitchhiker. Nate feels out of place in a bereavement group; Ruth tries to play matchmaker, to George's chagrin; Claire feels empty after a critique of her self-portraits; Brenda and her mom go back to school; and Federico gets an unexpected visitor at work.

Last edited by Geofferson; 07-18-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was ****ed up
Old 07-18-04, 09:02 PM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Six Feet Under [7/18/04]

Originally posted by Geofferson
Spoiler:
With Keith out of town on business, David gets taken for a ride by a hitchhiker.
Well, that was quite a ride...
Old 07-18-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Good episode.

Surprised that David's story took up most of the show.

In fact, it seems that the last half-hour (I wasn't timing, so I might be off) was entirely his story.
Old 07-18-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh ... woah.

das
Old 07-18-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Worst "Six Feet Under" episode EVER! I hated every second of it. And I actually got mad watching. Spoilers to follow. David spent how long driving around looking for an ATM for that loser? Yeah, those are hard to find. Then, when the guy tells David to stop to ditch the dead body, he doesn't take the keys. And is the first one out of the van. WHY didn't David just drive off? But the worst was when he ran into the parking lot across the street when he escaped from the van. It was so very "Friday the 13th". Why didn't he just start running down the street as fast as he could. I know it was in a bad part of town. Still. The writing was just terrible. It was a good idea. But it was poorly done.
Old 07-18-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Moral of the story: Don't be picking up hitchhikers!
Old 07-18-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, I almost spit out what I was drinking when Brenda's mom was talking about genital rejuvenation and said "Who wants to F a glass of water?" just as Brenda is about to drink her water out of a glass at lunch.
Old 07-18-04, 09:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Uh ... woah.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 07-18-04, 09:41 PM

I didn't care for David's storyline this episode. I'm not quite sure why it took up half the show. I might have to watch this ep again, but I'm pretty sure it's my least favorite epsiode of 6FU ever.

Brett
Old 07-18-04, 10:01 PM

I thought that it was a good episode. Maybe this will set the tone for the rest of the season with David's character. Thought the reference to the glass of water was hillarious.
Old 07-18-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

interesting premise that failed. i expected it to turn out to be a nightmare because it just kept getting increasingly unrealistic and silly.

it was nice seeing Claire getting knocked down a few pegs, she was really getting on my nerves with her queen of all that is art routine. very obnoxious.
Old 07-18-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Worst "Six Feet Under" episode EVER! I hated every second of it. And I actually got mad watching. Spoilers to follow. David spent how long driving around looking for an ATM for that loser? Yeah, those are hard to find. Then, when the guy tells David to stop to ditch the dead body, he doesn't take the keys. And is the first one out of the van. WHY didn't David just drive off? But the worst was when he ran into the parking lot across the street when he escaped from the van. It was so very "Friday the 13th". Why didn't he just start running down the street as fast as he could. I know it was in a bad part of town. Still. The writing was just terrible. It was a good idea. But it was poorly done.
Exactly how I felt. I couldn't believe how pathetic inept David turned out to be, unless that was the point. If it was, I don't buy it. I liked the first half, but then it completely lost me.
Old 07-18-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very intense episode,really suprised to see such negative comments towards it.
Old 07-18-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not going to argue with liking or disliking the episode, but people act that way in crazy situations. It's real life. When confronted with such a horrible scenario, people often act very irrationally and forget the obvious. Not everyone of course, but more than enough that it's not that odd. While I too was thinking "dammit, David, just do this!!!" I didn't see a glaring lack of realism here.

das
Old 07-18-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by astrochimp
Very intense episode,really suprised to see such negative comments towards it.
I feel the same about the positive comments.
Old 07-18-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm not going to argue with liking or disliking the episode, but people act that way in crazy situations. It's real life. When confronted with such a horrible scenario, people often act very irrationally and forget the obvious. Not everyone of course, but more than enough that it's not that odd. While I too was thinking "dammit, David, just do this!!!" I didn't see a glaring lack of realism here.

das
I know I was thinking this as I watched it. I too was saying "David, smack his beyotch ass up!". But some of the things he did...answering the phone when the cops were right there. Not pounding on the guy when he had the chance. A few more things too, and damn, it made me angry. Also, the events leading up to everything, pretty lame. David should not have been that friendly. Wasn't he already bashed before?
Old 07-18-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing that threw me off was the way it got dark so quickly. I didn't have a big problem with him acting stupid, but I was lost on how long he was driving around.

das
Old 07-18-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another comment in regards to David not driving off when the guy got out to dump the body. The episode's premise was hit or miss, but the way it went was poorly done in my opinion.

There's no excuse for having the guy get out of the van first, leave the keys in the ignition, and have David step out about 10 seconds later. The only logical explanation is poor showmaking.

Why I took an overall dislike to the episode is simply because of what it spells for the rest of the season. They did not devote the entire second half of the show to one character and end it the way they did without future plans...

Sorry, but I don't have any interest in seeing the "David recovers from the psychological torment of being kidnapped while Keith continues to ignore him, causing tension and leaving their relationship on the rocks!" for the rest of the season. But the way and the time devoted to David tonight certainly seems to indicate that a fair portion of the season could very easily revolve around David recovering... And if that doesn't happen, tonight's episode was even more absurd for devoting so much time to one story.

The episode itself was a fairly decent "edge of your seat" excursion... But it simply isn't what I want or expect to see from Six Feet Under. Might have made for a good Sopranos episode, but it simply didn't work on SFU. And what it spells for the rest of the season makes it ever more sour.
Old 07-18-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see a glaring lack of realism here.

das
How about the fact that the guy did not once spot the dead body out of the corner of his eye (at the very least) when talking to David all that time? You'd think a thief/thug would check out to see what was in the vehicle the moment he got in. Sorry, just another unrealistic moment. And yeah, I know people act irrational in times like this. But it was just too much (IMO). One more poorly written scene and this episode could have fit nicely on Lifetime.
Old 07-18-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by coladar
Another comment in regards to David not driving off when the guy got out to dump the body. The episode's premise was hit or miss, but the way it went was poorly done in my opinion.

There's no excuse for having the guy get out of the van first, leave the keys in the ignition, and have David step out about 10 seconds later. The only logical explanation is poor showmaking.

Why I took an overall dislike to the episode is simply because of what it spells for the rest of the season. They did not devote the entire second half of the show to one character and end it the way they did without future plans...

Sorry, but I don't have any interest in seeing the "David recovers from the psychological torment of being kidnapped while Keith continues to ignore him, causing tension and leaving their relationship on the rocks!" for the rest of the season. But the way and the time devoted to David tonight certainly seems to indicate that a fair portion of the season could very easily revolve around David recovering... And if that doesn't happen, tonight's episode was even more absurd for devoting so much time to one story.

The episode itself was a fairly decent "edge of your seat" excursion... But it simply isn't what I want or expect to see from Six Feet Under. Might have made for a good Sopranos episode, but it simply didn't work on SFU. And what it spells for the rest of the season makes it ever more sour.
I agree with everything you say. When they showed David phoning 911 on the preview for next week's show saying "I can't breathe"....I moaned.
Old 07-18-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• coladar •

10 seconds? It was near instantaneous. David was completely out of the van before the guy had even reached the back doors. It was barely a full second if that. As for why he didn't restart the van, flip it into gear, and drive off? Fear. Not 3 seconds earlier, the guy had just shoved the gun in his face and scared the shit out of him. People don't always logically employ a split-second reactionary escape plan when scared shitless. Given time to think about it, he might make a break for it, but there was hardly the time. He just reacted. But let's say for the sake of argument that he did have time to logically plan it all out ... it took longer for him to start the van and begin to drive away than it took for the guy to walk to the back of the van. The guy could have heard him starting the engine and had more than enough time to turn back to the now-open window and fired a few rounds before he could speed off.

If you guys want to nitpick this ep, you need to do better than that.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-18-04 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-19-04, 12:08 AM

Clearly none of you complaining have ever been a victim of a violent crime.

The realism was enough to seriously shake me. My experience was maybe a 1/10 of that last December (I was just mugged at gunpoint and pistolwhipped), but I can guarantee you that, especially for those with David's personality type (willing to be stepped on - see his relationship histopry with Keith), that is *exactly* what he would do.

The only point that seems unrealistic was that he didn't shoot David at the end. David clearly saw him enough to make a pretty good eye-witness sketch/pick him out of a lineup. Unless he is the type that only gets off on knocking others down a peg, but I'm not sure that was set up well enough, if that was the case.

As for the rest of the season, I really like this choice. We now will see a true change in David's character, hopefully - I don't think we've ever seen a true change in forever.

So, we'll have David recovering from this, Nate still out of the business and, eventually, Rico pulling out all the stops to save his marriage...will the season finale feature the Fischers almost selling the funeral home?

(NOTE: This is pure speculation. Just another story avenue possibility.)

RS
Old 07-19-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a question for you folks who say David should've jumped the guy and try to beat him up. How long exactly have you been watching Six Feet Under? David acted in this situation exactly how I thought he was supposed to act. Seeing David trying to be a hero and take the kidnapper out himself would've been so out-of-character. This was a good episode and is worth another viewing. My only complaint was how Nate's excellent speech, about he was feeling over the loss of his wife and life with his daughter, was ruined at the end for some cheap laugh effect.
Old 07-19-04, 01:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Anyone see the preview for next week? I noticed Keith wasback (maybe early because of Davids troubles) and David also didn't look bruised or hurt...maybe it takes place 3 months in the future?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.