Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Pearl Jam be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think?
Old 07-18-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Absolutely. One of the most influential bands of the early 90's.
Old 07-18-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
They'll be eligible in 2016. I could see them being inducted. Who else in the class of 1991 would be worthy of a nomination?
Old 07-18-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As DJLinus said, they aren't eligible and can't be for quite some time. There are some wonderful artists out there that can't be nominated for many years to come because of the Hall Of Fame's criteria...I guess it's 25 years after releasing a recording?
Old 07-18-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see why not. Pearl Jam's really the only "grunge" band that has stuck around to be successful, prolific, and engaging. Rock 'n Roll at it's finest.
Old 07-18-04, 04:52 PM

YES
Old 07-18-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, why wouldn't they?
Old 07-18-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Without a doubt and I don't even enjoy Pearl Jam.
Old 07-18-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Hollowgen
I don't see why not. Pearl Jam's really the only "grunge" band that has stuck around to be successful, prolific, and engaging. Rock 'n Roll at it's finest.
That is because they changed. Some people bitched about it, but face it, if they kept releasing 'Ten' every two years they would have gone the way of all the other alternative acts. They have grown as artists and musicians.
Old 07-18-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
That is because they changed. Some people bitched about it, but face it, if they kept releasing 'Ten' every two years they would have gone the way of all the other alternative acts. They have grown as artists and musicians.
you finished my thought for me. i'll also add that i think even though they've changed, they've continued to do nothing but great rock 'n roll.
Old 07-19-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nirvana

Originally posted by DJLinus
They'll be eligible in 2016. I could see them being inducted. Who else in the class of 1991 would be worthy of a nomination?
Old 07-19-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by j123vt_99
Nirvana
They are elligible in 2014; Bleach came out in 1989.
Old 07-19-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
Nirvana
My guess is that if this post were asking about Nirvana, you'd have far less of a consensus. If it were Nivana, I'd vote "No." Since its Pearl Jam, I vote "Yes."
Old 07-19-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
My guess is that if this post were asking about Nirvana, you'd have far less of a consensus.
I disagree. Even though I'm not a huge fan, I think that they will definitely get in. Just look at the way that the music press rides Cobain's jock. They've practically given him sainthood.
Old 07-19-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Usually you have to have popularity over a long period of time, and I just don't think Pearl Jam has held that level of popularity at this point. At some point in their career, I think they will need some time of revival or watershed comeback album to get in. Other than the first 2 or 3 albums, most people have no clue about Pearl Jam's work or what they have been up to.

I'm not bagging on them and I like PJ, but based on history, I just don't think they would get in if their career just continues to go as it has.
Old 07-19-04, 10:41 AM
Retired

No question. They were very influential, and are still making great music.
Old 07-19-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think they will... and they definitely should. Every album of theirs is great.

I thought about what Cdollaz said about how they haven't sustained popularity, and I don't think that matters. They always nominate those 50s bands that I have never heard of or who had one or two hits. Even though Pearl Jam isn't as big now, from their first two or three albums they probably had 10 bonafide hits.
Old 07-19-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They still sell out every show... They lost some public view when they were fighting Ticketmaster and stopped putting out videos.. but they have been very innovative... one thing that comes to mind is releasing all the 2003 shows on CD and giving people the ability to listen to them right after the show occured. big use of technology to spread their music

Originally posted by Applejack
I think they will... and they definitely should. Every album of theirs is great.

I thought about what Cdollaz said about how they haven't sustained popularity, and I don't think that matters. They always nominate those 50s bands that I have never heard of or who had one or two hits. Even though Pearl Jam isn't as big now, from their first two or three albums they probably had 10 bonafide hits.
Old 07-19-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Applejack
Even though Pearl Jam isn't as big now, from their first two or three albums they probably had 10 bonafide hits.
Well if you want to look at it as 'hits', I believe Jeremy was their biggest hit and that only went to around No.75 on billboard that year. But I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'd like to see backup on that.. it is usually on the top 20 of alltime songs on MTV

Well if you want to look at it as 'hits', I believe Jeremy was their biggest hit and that only went to around No.75 on billboard that year. But I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, don't go trolling.

Daughter
Elderly Women Behind the Counter In a Small Town (?)
Betterman
Dissident

all get played on the radio all the time. The only reason the singles from VS. weren't on the Billboard charts is because they were not released as singles (in the US)
Old 07-19-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
Usually you have to have popularity over a long period of time, and I just don't think Pearl Jam has held that level of popularity at this point. At some point in their career, I think they will need some time of revival or watershed comeback album to get in. Other than the first 2 or 3 albums, most people have no clue about Pearl Jam's work or what they have been up to.

I'm not bagging on them and I like PJ, but based on history, I just don't think they would get in if their career just continues to go as it has.
Well, they may not be popular to the drone's, the pop music masses, but they sell out every place in the world, packing the loyal fans night after night...and these are not small, claustrophic leaking roof clubs either.

Those who stopped listening after Ten and Vs. will always say such things...

Pearl Jam continues to create ambitiously artistic music on their own terms.

Will they be inducted, yes when their times comes.
Old 07-19-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by lostatmidnight
Well, they may not be popular to the drone's, the pop music masses, but they sell out every place in the world, packing the loyal fans night after night...and these are not small, claustrophic leaking roof clubs either.

Those who stopped listening after Ten and Vs. will always say such things...

Pearl Jam continues to create ambitiously artistic music on their own terms.

You could say the same things about Rush, and they aren't in yet.
Old 07-19-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last Kiss was actually their highest charting hit. It was #3 I believe.

They deserve to be inducted. IMHO.
Old 07-19-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Dude, don't go trolling.
huh?

I just remember reading in Blender, in their monthy "greatest songs of all time.." article. They covered Jeremy last year. They mentioned how high it charted(around 75) and that it was their highest hit. Maybe they meant highest original song?

You gotta think that when alternative acts like PJ & STP were popular, they still weren't as popular as acts like Boyz II Men, TLC, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, and many others. It was still a niche genre. It was big, but not that big. I don't think it really exploded until after Cobain took his life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.