Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So, how is "K Street"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
So, how is "K Street"?

I didn't watch "K Street" when it first ran on HBO. I see that it is being released on DVD on Tuesday and am considering picking it up. What's this show like - the acting, writing, etc.? Is it "preachy" in its politics? Would you recommend it?
Old 07-18-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlike anything you've ever seen. I found some of it really interesting, but I can't think of a single person I'd ever recommend it to. Most everyone you ask will tell you it sucked like nothing has ever sucked before. I wouldn't go that far, but I'd only suggest watching it out of some historical television curiosity.

das
Old 07-18-04, 12:43 PM

Alright for a rental possibly, but I agree with Das that I'd not recommend it to anyone unless they were really interested in politics and public relations.
Old 07-18-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lost interest after 2 episodes.
Old 07-18-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't like the way they approached the show. It wasn't a documentary, but it didn't appear to be entirely fiction either. If they would have went 100% with either direction I think I would have enjoyed it more. Watching recreated scenes, undoubtably with the spin of the directors/actors built in, just seemed stupid to me. I liked the fact you got to see a lot of DC since I used to live there. I'd say rent don't buy.
Old 07-18-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really loved the show, but I'm Steven Soderbergh's bitch. If you enjoyed his film "Full Frontal", you'd like this.
Old 07-18-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was bored to tears, and I even live and work in DC.
The real K St. has a cool movie theater, however....
Old 07-18-04, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a politics junkie, but I hated it like I've never hated a tv show before - not to say it is among the worst shows or anything, but as I watched it I kept asking myself, "Is this supposed to be good? Am I missing something, some nuanced cleverness that is above my head or is this really as uninteresting as it seems?"

I watch the sunday talk shows every weekend, one of my favorite documentaries is "The War Room" with James Carville and George Stephanopolous and the nitty gritty of politics, and this tv show was as gripping for me as it would be to some stripper on Howard Stern who can't name the two major political parties.
Old 07-19-04, 04:27 PM
Banned

It was the suckiest of all ass sucking that could possibly happen. I wouldn't even recommend renting it. Mark me down as another politico that couldn't figure out why anyone would want to watch the show.
Old 07-20-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a curiosity at best. The reason it was interesting at ALL was because each episode was filmed and edited up to the day it aired. (It was also interesting for those who live in the DC area in terms of the "where are they now" factor.) So current events were right there and integrated into the stories. Without that, the pacing was bad and the broad storylines boring. It took forever to figure out what the heck was really going on. The flashback episodes were annoyingly stingy at revealing anything. Maybe it plays better when you can watch it all at once, but I would have to say the replay value of this series is VERY LOW. Rent it!

BTW the show was cancelled in case you were wondering.
Old 07-20-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So bad ... so boring .... so pretentious ....

Anyone who purchases this is definitely in for "buyer remorse".
Old 07-20-04, 10:14 AM

I gave it one episode, then never turned it on again. And I'm a better person for it.
Old 07-20-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow - I didn't realize there was such negative feelings toward this show. Looks like I'll be giving this one a rent (or check it out from the library, if it has it). Thanks for saving me $20.
Old 07-20-04, 03:51 PM

Allow me to pimp myself...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11636

RS