Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bonnie Hammer makes a fool out of herself (and Sci Fi Network) yet again...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Sci Fi Channel admitted that it lied last month in claiming it was at odds with filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan and was making an unauthorized biography about his "buried secret."

The hoax was part of a "guerilla marketing campaign" that went too far, network president Bonnie Hammer said Friday.

The network announced in December that the reclusive Shyamalan, maker of "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs," had agreed to participate in a documentary about his life to run in connection with this summer's release of his new movie, "The Village."

Sci Fi said last month, however, that Shyamalan had soured on the documentary when the questions got too personal. Documentarians Nathaniel Kahn and Callum Greene pressed on and made a three-hour film, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan," without his cooperation, the network said.

The Associated Press wrote about the documentary last month, and other media also ran accounts. In an interview, Greene described how Shyamalan's "cooperation dried up." A network spokesman told the AP that Sci Fi was confident it had legal grounds to air the film and would probably never work with Shyamalan again.

In a news release, Sci Fi said Shyamalan had attempted to shut down production of the "disturbing expose."

It was all a lie, and there is no buried secret, Hammer said Friday.

The documentary, scheduled to air Sunday, says a mysterious drowning of a child in a lake near Shyamalan's boyhood home in the Philadelphia area had profoundly affected his life and fueled his interest in the supernatural. That's not true either, Hammer said.

"We created a fictional special that was part-fact and part-fiction, and Night was part of the creation from the beginning," the network chief said.

Moviegoers walk away from Shyamalan's films not knowing what was real or not, and "we wanted to do the same thing in a special about his life," she said.

Sci Fi did not send a complete copy of the film to television critics, but sent a half-hour tape of highlights this week that, in some spots, hinted it might be a mockumentary.

Actor Adrien Brody, a star of "The Village," is interviewed in the documentary saying that he was sworn to secrecy about everything in the movie. Asked if he had short or long hair in the film, he refused to answer.

"Perhaps we might have taken the guerrilla campaign one step too far," Hammer said. "We thought it would create controversy and it probably went one step too far."

Hammer said she had been in on the hoax from the beginning and took responsibility for duping the public. Sci Fi, which is available in some 83 million homes, has recently been taken over by corporate parent NBC Universal.

"This marketing strategy is not consistent with our policy at NBC," said Rebecca Marks, NBC entertainment spokeswoman. "We would never intend to offend the public or the press and value our relationship with both."

Greene, a producer of "Lost in Translation," shares an agent with Shyamalan.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html
Old 07-17-04, 07:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So let me get this straight. Shyamalan did cooperate with this documentary fully? Seems to me that he's partly to blame for this idea as well, although he probably didn't have anything to do with the marketing. And...

Moviegoers walk away from Shyamalan's films not knowing what was real or not, and "we wanted to do the same thing in a special about his life," she said.
I know that I, for one, am still trying to figure out if Bruce Willis is a dead person who has super-human strength or not. Am I misreading what she said?
Old 07-17-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
So let me get this straight. Shyamalan did cooperate with this documentary fully? Seems to me that he's partly to blame for this idea as well, although he probably didn't have anything to do with the marketing.
The way I read it (given the "it was all a lie" comment in the article), there was never any interview to begin with.
Old 07-17-04, 08:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But read this:
"We created a fictional special that was part-fact and part-fiction, and Night was part of the creation from the beginning," the network chief said.
She says he was part of the part-fact, part-fiction idea from the get-go.
Old 07-17-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sounds just like the "documentary" that aired on the Sci-Fi network right after Blair Witch that gave some backstory of the mythology and was advertised as being fact(when in reality it was as fictional as the film itself).
Old 07-17-04, 12:16 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's been a bunch of these fake documentaries, including one for Night's last film. Anybody who's seen one of these should have known this was a joke. I think the one for Signs was probably the worst one. I couldn't stand 10 minutes of it.

I wonder what she meant by saying it went too far. Did the majority of people actually believe this was true?
Old 07-17-04, 01:35 PM

I don't think this is any crime but I do think it's an awfully tedius and boring exercise. But it's sure easier than creative programming, ain't it? A commerical pretending to be fact about fiction that that's really fiction about fiction - and none of it's the slightest bit entertaining or will do anything to endear this movie in the minds of people.

This is a cynical age, but do they have to make it so easy?
Old 07-17-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
This sounds just like the "documentary" that aired on the Sci-Fi network right after Blair Witch that gave some backstory of the mythology and was advertised as being fact(when in reality it was as fictional as the film itself).
This was what I immediately though of....how someone would assume that it was "real" is beyond me. I'm sort of disappointed in Hammer (is that even possible), she should have stood by what they were doing. Anyone who say the "Blair Witch" mocku has to agree that it was brilliant and probably scarier than the movie (in a different way) and it did so without ruining the movie.
Old 07-17-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've started reading some classic sf again and it makes me hate the Sci-fi channel all the more.
Old 07-17-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not planning on watching M Night Shyamalan's Blair Witch anyway. First time I saw the commercial all I could think of was blair witch, which sucked, and this looks sucky too
Old 07-18-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was pretty apparent just watching the ads that it was faked.
Old 07-18-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These clowns have such little credibility that this "apology" is probably their way of getting press for the special.

das
Old 07-18-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's so odd about fake documentaries? F/911 is cleaning up at the boxoffice as we speak...

Old 07-18-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I was really getting into this show before I read the article. It seems I've been fooled again.