Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Tom Waits Album ... Oct. 5th!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real Gone: Tom Waits has completed groundbreaking new CD for ANTI- Records--titled "Real Gone"-- out October 5th!

From Anti.com

Academy Award nominated and Grammy Award winner, Tom Waits has been long considered one of music’s most influential artists because he has continuously created music outside of fad or fashion. With REAL GONE, his off-road adventures are taken into the further beyond. Mixing and mashing: worlds both sonic and ethnic, musical traditions both new and old, and rhythms both mouth-made and sampled from his own instruments, Waits has reached a new pinnacle.

Written and produced by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, his wife and long-time collaborator, REAL GONE features 15 tracks of funk, Jamaican rock-steady, blues both urban and rural, rhythms and melodies both Latin and African and, for the first time, no piano.

The crash and collide of rhythms and genres within a song creates a hybrid unlike any music he has made before. The comic, funky, hip-hop/r&b inspired instructional dance number, “Metropolitan Glide” (“now show your teeth, bray like a calf/Then kill me with your machine gun laugh”) and the sonic mayhem and nonsense rhyme ride to “Top of the Hill” (why don’t you give me another cup of that soup?/Turn a Rolls Royce into a chicken coop”) are both punctuated by a live band and turntable playing along to Waits’ home recorded voice percussion.

Lyrically and musically the kinetic songs play against the haunting lull of the ballads. The epic, ominous and hypnotic Jamaican rock-steady groove of, “Sins of the Father,” follows the dark trails of straying, passed on from generation to generation, from those at the top to those at the bottom and back around again, echoing a theme of the record.

While Waits has traditionally used his voice as an actor, inhabiting each song with a different vocal character, on numerous songs here, he also uses it as chugging, sputtering, wheezing syncopated engine of sound and rhythm that can explode like a string of sidewalk firecrackers or sound like the indecipherable incantations of a street corner shaman.

REAL GONE is a phrase that describes a place, a time beyond reach: a lost mind, a renegade leader, war love sublime, love lost, death, desire, escape. These are the themes of the record inspired by the giddy lust, high voltage, out of orbit times---a vertigo of splash and trash popular culture spinning alongside the gun to our head and the knife in our heart political times or as “Shake It” says, “I feel like a preacher waving a gun around.”

REAL GONE is also an expression used by musicians to describe the experience of playing and losing yourself to the place where you can finally be found.

In a musical career that has spanned four decades and over 20 albums “Waits has,” according the Los Angeles Times Robert Hilburn, “come through it all with a body of work that stamps him clearly as one of the most important figures of the modern pop era.” REAL GONE adds more weight to that claim.
Can't Wait!
Old 07-16-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
!!!
Old 07-17-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Track List:

01 Top of the Hill
02 Hoist That Rag
03 Sins of My Father
04 Shake It
05 Don't Go Into That Barn
06 How's It Gonna End
07 Metropolitan Glide
08 Dead and Lovely
09 Circus
10 Trampled Rose
11 Green Grass
12 Baby Gonna Leave Me
13 Clang Boom Steam
14 Make It Rain
15 Day After Tomorrow

Can't wait!!!
Old 07-17-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is he really not going to be on the cover of his own album this time?
Old 07-17-04, 02:33 PM

Great news of course.. Tom Waits is my favorite musician, I don't know how many times now I have listened to all of his CD's (Bone Machine the most). He is music at its finest.
Old 07-17-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The track title "Clang Boom Steam" may well sum up everything I love about Tom Waits.
Old 07-17-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hoo-ray. can't wait for the turntables done by his son.
Old 07-18-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A new Waits album is always cause for celebration in my book.
Old 07-18-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

can not waits for it

Nobody else has ever put out so much consistently brilliant music.
Old 07-18-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds good, I just got into Tom Waits. It's weird hom much music he has put out & most people haven't heard of him & even if they have they couldn't name a song. My favorite CD so far is Heartattack & Vine. What else is good?
Old 07-19-04, 12:04 AM

My favorite in somewhat of an order (I love it all so you know well here it goes).

Bone Machine
Rain Dogs
Swordfishtrombones
Mule Variations
Frank's Wild Years
Heartattack and Vine
The Heart of Saturday Night
Blue Valentine
Closing Time
Small Change
Blood Money
Alice
Foreign Affairs
Nighthawks at the Diner
The Black Rider

Well after doing that I decided its not much of an order so listen to it all. Tom Waits is the best.