Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Setup worries - Moving overseas

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the Air Force and just received orders to go to England for 3 years. I've started to look into converting/re=purchasing my modest entertainment set-up and after a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that I've learned enough to get a grasp on the hurdles but not enough to know how to find the solutions I'm looking for.

I have a basic set-up and figure that I'll need to buy a new TV and DVD player (at least), but I would like to be able to have what I buy in England function when I move back in 3 years - if possible.

I need recomendations for:

- A modest (27 - 36" screen, widscreen/HDTV would be nifty but I'm not counting on it) TVs that could do all the proper signal/electrical conversions.

- A decent region free DVD player that will convert PAL/NTSC and also handle both English and American electrical standards.

Also - Is my receiver/speakers completely useless? Any issues with hooking up American bought gaming systems Overseas?

I think I may just be making all this harder than it should be, but right now my head is spinning trying to visualize the set-up- If anybody has experience, links or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-22-04, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know too much about most of what you're asking, but widescreen has become more of the norm in England, with many programs being shown in that format. Most of my English friends have widescreen tvs.

But HDTV doesn't exist over there. I guess they might sell them but none of the stations have the ability to broadcast at that level. I read a month or two ago that the BBC is starting to look into it.

From most people I've talked to, it seems easier just to get a cheaper setup that you know won't make the trip back with you in 3 years, but maybe someone else has ideas about this.
Old 07-24-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
What kind of DVD player do you have now? Go to videohelp.com and you might find that you can make the player that you have now all-region.