Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I, ROBOT reviews...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I, ROBOT reviews...

Old 07-15-04, 10:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, ROBOT reviews...

Here are some to get the blood pumping...

(Positive)

http://www.joblo.com/irobot.htm

(Neg)

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article972.html
Old 07-15-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
The positive was only a 6/10, that's not good.
Old 07-15-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
It's barely positive on Rotten Tomatoes, but most of the bigger reviewers haven't posted theirs yet. The Associated Press gave it 2 1/2 stars of four. It just sounds too much like another Will Smith summer action flick to me rather than anything groundbreaking. Definitely waiting to rent the DVD.
Old 07-15-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Score's gone up pretty well on rottentomatoes and early word seems to have it pegged as surprisingly good.

Will probably check it out... just because I wanna see what Proyas does with a $105m budget.
Old 07-16-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ebert says ... meh.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...-robot16f.html
Old 07-16-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Except for "meh" is not a real word, never will be either.
Old 07-16-04, 10:39 AM

"Meh" is a perfectly cromulent word.
Old 07-16-04, 11:02 AM
Suspended

"Meh" not a word? What are you, some kind of Frumious Bandersnatch?
Old 07-16-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm pretty easy to please I guess, because I really really liked I, Robot. Sure the plot was predictable and there wasn't anything truly unique about it and Will Smith was a bit too Will Smithish, but I had a great time watching the movie. The action was great, the robots were cool and SONNY really stole the movie and was great. If you like popcorn sci-fi thrill rides, I'd easily recommend it. 3 and a half stars out of 5.

MATT
Old 07-16-04, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mdc3000
Sure the plot was predictable and there wasn't anything truly unique about it and Will Smith was a bit too Will Smithish, but I had a great time watching the movie. The action was great, the robots were cool and SONNY really stole the movie and was great. If you like popcorn sci-fi thrill rides, I'd easily recommend it. 3 and a half stars out of 5.
Pity that the original Asimov story was written in direct response to the standard "Technology runs amok" storys that were coming out at the time, and to have the movie quickly degenerate into a "technology running amok" movie is downright insulting.

I mean, why pretend to have some kind of intellectual basis if all you really want to show are, gunfights, car chases, hotties dressed in leather and "witty" one-liners from Will Smith?

Depressing.
Old 07-16-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by El-Kabong
hotties dressed in leather
I fail to see the problem with this
Old 07-16-04, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dabaomb
I fail to see the problem with this
I normaly have no problem with hotties in leather (unless you're Halle Berry in Catwoman). However why make the crusty middle aged (and eventualy elderly) woman who was occasionaly pained over her own self admitted unattractivness into a beautful machine gun toting leather clad hottie? Just come up with a new character instead of further desecrating the original story by not getting the point.
Old 07-16-04, 12:14 PM

There are no hotties in leather in I, ROBOT...
Old 07-16-04, 12:41 PM

Ebert's review is hilarious... It's good to see the old man lighten up every now and then.

from Ebert's review:

"As for the robots, they function like the giant insects in "Starship Troopers," as video game targets. You can't even be mad at them, since they're only programs. Although, come to think of it, you can be mad at programs; Microsoft Word has inspired me to rage far beyond anything these robots engender."
Old 07-16-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where to start? The film over-reached, and the payoff is pretty poor.

The setup in the 1st act was so-so, and the 2nd act had one of the most uninteresting fast-moving action sequences in recent cinematic history for me. The 3rd act was entertaining from a visual effects perspective, but it was never quite integrated well enough to get me to suspend my disbelief.

The Susan Calvin I remember from reading Asimov's Robot stories and novels would have been much more cold and clinical, and Bridget Moynihan was not up to the task. Hell, Bridget got hotter as the movie progressed, and that should have never happened. Will Smith has very little to work with, and it shows scene after scene.

Of course, I groaned as I saw Akiva Goldsman's name scroll up in the end credits. I should have known.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C (I'm being kind).
Old 07-16-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exuse me, Patman, but he prefers to be called "The Academy Award Winning Akiva Goldsman".
Old 07-16-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doh!
Old 07-16-04, 09:52 PM

Ahhhhh, Patman...
Old 07-16-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh not a word? Pshaw! Pshaw I say!
Old 07-17-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
I enjoyed it while eating a huge bag of popcorn. B minus.
Old 07-17-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman

Of course, I groaned as I saw Akiva Goldsman's name scroll up in the end credits. I should have known.

Small world. When I saw Akiva's name at the end I said 'It figures'. How in the hell does that guy keep getting paid to be such a crappy writer?

I Robot fell apart from the start. It had setups that went no where. Characters that shouldn't have even been there (why was the pesky white kid around?). Other characters were so cliche it was embarrasing. The loving grandma was cooking pie every time she was on screen. The crusty police chief gets extra points for taking Will's badge after Will was nearly killed by robots.

It was very convienent that there were ZERO other cars on the road during the big CGI chase scene.

The entire movie is destroyed when you realized that instead of killing himself, all the doc had to do was to tell Sonny to go tell everyone what was happening.

The more I think about it, the worse this movie gets.

1 star.

D
Old 07-17-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Derrich
Small world. When I saw Akiva's name at the end I said 'It figures'. How in the hell does that guy keep getting paid to be such a crappy writer?

I Robot fell apart from the start. It had setups that went no where. Characters that shouldn't have even been there (why was the pesky white kid around?). Other characters were so cliche it was embarrasing. The loving grandma was cooking pie every time she was on screen. The crusty police chief gets extra points for taking Will's badge after Will was nearly killed by robots.

It was very convienent that there were ZERO other cars on the road during the big CGI chase scene.

Spoiler:
The entire movie is destroyed when you realized that instead of killing himself, all the doc had to do was to tell Sonny to go tell everyone what was happening.

The more I think about it, the worse this movie gets.

1 star.

D
I hope this is not a huge plot twist point since I now know what will happen

spoiler tags are our friends.
Old 07-17-04, 02:19 AM
Banned

I enjoyed it; lots of eye candy (thanks to Alex Proyas, the visuals in the movie are great), and there's enough thrills to keep you into it.

The movie is not very original at all, but it's a solid summer blockbuster and worth seeing. Much less cheesy Will Smith humor too which I liked.

If you enjoyed the Animatrix cartoon where the robots revolt then you'll like this movie, which seemed to stylically imitate that anime a lot.
Old 07-17-04, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it today and thought it was just ok, nothing special. I thought while watching the movie, "Man, towards the end, the sh#t is gonna hit the fan, and all hell is gonna break loose!" But sadly, to say the least, i found that the movie just fell flat towards the end. I have to say i enjoyed it, but the more i talked about with my fiance after we saw it, the more corny we thought it was. Minority Report was way better!
Old 07-17-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I heard it lacked too much action to be a "Summer Movie". Lotsa talk....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.