Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing 7/13 - SPOILED by TV Guide! (blackened within)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-13-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This week's TV Guide has an article on LCS, and they showed the six finalists:

Spoiler:
Alonzo Burden
Gary Gulman
Kathleen Madigan
Corey Holcolm
John Heffron
Tammy Pescatelli

However, there are still seven contestants left!
They didn't mention
Spoiler:
Jay London, the hirsute one-liner comic
, so obviously that is one being ousted on 7/13.

You would think that a TV magazine would be familiar enough with the shows it is reviewing, especially in today's world of neverending reality shows, not to reveal a loser before the actual loss.
Old 07-13-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
That's cool. I may have to start watching again since all the losers are gone.
Old 07-13-04, 12:45 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nooooooooooooo!!
Old 07-13-04, 05:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I opened the Guide today, and for a split second started to read the article until I remembered this thread. I quickly turned the page.
Old 07-13-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Spoiler:
Gary wasn't hilarious, but he was better than he was last time. I actually thought Jay was kind of funny. Oh well - bye bye, Jay. The Alliance is crumbling.
Old 07-13-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

should someone make a new thread where we don't need spoiler tags? Don't want to run my cursor over ever post hehe..
Old 07-13-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no need for another thread. The subject is dated, so the "spoiler" is no longer a spoiler. Good work on the warning, btw, Goose. Much appreciated.

They're really putting these guys under fire: performing to kids, a bus tour, people in a laundramat. That's harsh. Both comics were above average, but neither was great. Jay had me chuckling a bit; same with Gary. I have no problem with the vote.

das
Old 07-13-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I admit that jay had some funny moments but i thought gary shined in this one. The rope and spedometer things were genius
Old 07-13-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Gary was great, I think its the strongest performance yet by anyone in any of the face-offs.
Old 07-13-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gary's set was better than his previous ones but there's just something strange to me about his delivery. I can't quite place it. It might be the fact that he walks in circles on the stage.

@ John Heffron using the psychology on the kids.
Old 07-13-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
SKUNK SKUNK SKUNK SKUNK!
Old 07-14-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by tofu

@ John Heffron using the psychology on the kids.
He had the right idea though. Most humor is going to be lost on the kids, and they voted for the last person they saw.

Corey "Mr. Bootyscratcher" - Why am I not surprised? I hope he goes next week.

Jay London doing the self-deprecating mike tapping and repeating jokes as if no one heard him is good for a chuckle one time per act, not every joke. I hate that one-liner stream of crap anyway. Gary Gulman blew him away, just as he blew away Ant last week.
"Take this pill to cure polio? No, that's not The Pill. One will save your life, the other means you don't have to buy condoms."
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr. Bootyscratcher was the funniest thing tonight.

The name, not the performance.

Jay is a good guy, but someone had to leave.

Next week looks like it will grate on everyones nerves. Mine at least.

CFG!
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Jay london isn't a comic for everyone. I've seen him in many stand up acts and really he's for a select few. he caters to an audiance that this show may not focus in on. Oh well. sucks for him. back to the world of B comedy clubs.
Old 07-14-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Next week looks like the return of the funny. These last 2 eps may have well been episodes of Road Rules. It looked like the producers tried to liven up the house by adding a dog to the mix and that just ended up with extended shots of the dog eating and sleeping.

D
Old 07-14-04, 07:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I really liked Jay London, but Gary was better this week. "The Pill" bit was hilarious.
Old 07-14-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
I actually laughed out loud more at Jay than Gary.

[Jay to the kids]Don't boo me.[/Jay]
Old 07-14-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jay definitely did a better act last night, but something about the guy irritates me. I am not a big fan of Jay London either though. I don't think that he should have been near the top ten, let alone in it.

I think that the dark horse in this contest is Alonzo Boden. He seems to be able to adapt fairly well, making him a contender for the immunity all the time. He also has the Alliance going for him.

My order of favorites right now, from favorite to least favorite:

1. John Heffron
2. Alonzo Boden

3. Corey Holcolm
4. Kathleen Madigan

5. Tammy Pescatelli
6. Gary Gulman

To me, the two best have been Heffron and Boden, with Holcolm and Madigan in the next layer, and the Sicilian and Gulman in the bottom level. Only Heffron and Boden have consistently made me laugh.
Old 07-14-04, 12:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
"I speed up and try to get the high score."
Old 07-14-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Jay London doing the self-deprecating mike tapping and repeating jokes as if no one heard him is good for a chuckle one time per act, not every joke. I hate that one-liner stream of crap anyway. Gary Gulman blew him away, just as he blew away Ant last week.
"Take this pill to cure polio? No, that's not The Pill. One will save your life, the other means you don't have to buy condoms."
That's my main problem with Jay. He acts like he's bombing whether he's getting laughs or not, and he uses the same responses over and over.
"It's ok. You'll never see me again"
"It's ok sir. It's almost over."

Plus it's not hard to think of Stephen Wright doing these jokes, but he doesn't pause for 5 seconds between each one.
Old 07-14-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Roto •

Plus it's not hard to think of Stephen Wright doing these jokes.
Or Mitch Hedberg. I love the great one-liner comics. What they have that Jay doesn't have is variety. As we've noted, his gimmick doesn't change; he just keep repeating himself. I'd enjoy his style more if he mixed it up better and didn't rely so heavily on the self-deprecation.

das
Old 07-14-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Or Mitch Hedberg. I love the great one-liner comics. What they have that Jay doesn't have is variety. As we've noted, his gimmick doesn't change; he just keep repeating himself. I'd enjoy his style more if he mixed it up better and didn't rely so heavily on the self-deprecation.

das
Mitch Hedberg is a comic genius. He's probably in my top three.

And I completely agree w/ you in regards to Jay - he's too one dimensional and repetitive w/ his routine.
Old 07-15-04, 03:33 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those 2 performances last night are pretty much the best you're going to get out of this show. They weren't great, but there's yet to be a great comic on this show.

Am I the only one that thinks every single bit Mohr does is much better than any bit any of the other comics ever do? I feel bad that they have to follow Mohr. I know he's warming up the audience, but it's just such a colossal letdown.
Old 07-15-04, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like Mohr at all as a standup. I find him hit and miss, with mostly misses.

As for London, I agree. He is pretty much a one note comic. I love some of his one liners, but the whole microphone tapping, assuring the audience that it is going to be over soon, etc gets old very quick. Most times an audience would only see him once and he would go to the next town, but since we have to (or had to) watch him every week, we saw him multiple times and it got old. I could imagine going to see him once and thinking that he was a great comic. He doesn't stand up well to repeat viewings, since his gimic garners as many laughs as his material.
Old 07-15-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nny
Am I the only one that thinks every single bit Mohr does is much better than any bit any of the other comics ever do? I feel bad that they have to follow Mohr. I know he's warming up the audience, but it's just such a colossal letdown.
What? Sometimes he's okay, but some of his material is atrocious. Cats are loners? Oh yeah, that's NEVER been done before. I was actually embarrassed for him last night. I had a hard time even watching that bit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.