Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Maxx

Old 07-12-04, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Maxx

Anyone remember or like this movie as much as i do? The Maxx originally aired on MTV in a 8 part series sometime in 93 (i think). I think this is one of the most brilliantly made stories about a struggling wanna be superhero. It is also a very complex storyline. The animation is great and and sam kieths art is amazing. If you have not seen this animation I deffinitly recommend watching it if you havent.
Old 07-12-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This should probably be in TV talk, it was never a movie, just the TV series released on VHS. I'm hoping this makes it to DVD sometime, the VHS cut about 1 and 1/2 episodes.
Old 07-12-04, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

It actually is a movie. It was just aired in 8 parts. I own the VHS. I also have the dvd. However its not official I bought it at a comic convention.
Old 07-12-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies that air in eight parts are usually referred to as TV series or mini-series. No theatrical showings, no rating. You could argue that the Sopranos and Twin Peaks can be viewed 60 and 20 hour movies, but they're TV series.

But I would again like to state that I loved this show, and I would buy the DVD release in a heartbeat.

There had been talk of a second season which would have told the origin of the Maxx (as told in issues 13-18 of the comic) but it apparantly never materialized.
Old 07-12-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the very, VERY few comic books I'll actually consider above children's fare.

The Origin of Mr. Gon ->
Old 07-12-04, 01:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by PixyJunket
One of the very, VERY few comic books I'll actually consider above children's fare.

The Origin of Mr. Gon ->
You obviously have never read comics then. Refer to Sandman, Preacher, marvel universe, the list can go on.
Old 07-12-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Movies that air in eight parts are usually referred to as TV series or mini-series. No theatrical showings, no rating. You could argue that the Sopranos and Twin Peaks can be viewed 60 and 20 hour movies, but they're TV series.

But I would again like to state that I loved this show, and I would buy the DVD release in a heartbeat.

There had been talk of a second season which would have told the origin of the Maxx (as told in issues 13-18 of the comic) but it apparantly never materialized.
ha ha ha. I personally think that the 24 hour movie of 24 is one brilliant piece of motion picture.

The Maxx was good, but it wasn't a movie. it was a tv series.
Old 07-12-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I can certainly understand why many comics seam like children's fair, (and I would include a good deal of the Marvel Universe in that), Road to Perdition, Ghost World, American Splendor, From Hell, and hundred of other titles are excellent. Don't let the genre (super heroes) distract you from the medium (comics).
Old 07-12-04, 01:38 PM
Cool New Member

Did you actually read Marvel Universe?
Old 07-12-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Same here
Old 07-12-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by inkblots
Did you actually read Marvel Universe?
I read Daredevil, Fantastic Four, X-Statix, Supreme Power, Punisher and tthe Pulse. With the exception of Daredevil, I don't really consider any of them mature reading.
Old 07-12-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sam Kieth Art

I was really disappointed when they didn't turn it into another series or another movie.
Old 07-13-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maxx is awesome and would consider it a film if it was edited together.
Old 07-13-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
o_O

what is with all this talk about it being a film?

A lot of "if's" in this discussion. It was an animated series. Can we all agree on that?
Old 07-13-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can! YAY!
Old 07-13-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The film was censored into a TV series.
Old 07-13-04, 01:17 PM

I too have been waiting for this to hit DVD.

should definitely be in Tv or at least DVD Talk
Old 07-14-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a phenomenal show.
Old 07-14-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
The film was censored into a TV series.
Or not.
Old 07-14-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Great show Great animation Great story

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-14-04 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 11:37 AM

I've been waiting years for MTV to get the Maxx and other animation onto DVD....lazy punks.
Old 11-22-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
re: The Maxx

Channing Tatum, Roy Lee Team to Adapt Sam Kieth Comic 'The Maxx' (Exclusive)
NOVEMBER 22, 2019 2:06PM by Borys Kit
The cult comic inspired an MTV cartoon that won an Annie.

The Maxx, the cult comic created by Sam Kieth, is getting the screen treatment from Channing Tatum and Roy Lee.

The two are teaming up to produce via their respective production companies. Tatum will produce via Free Association, along with principals Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan. Lee will produce via his Vertigo Entertainment.

Kieth will also produce with partner Tal Vigderson.

The Maxx, created, written and illustrated by Kieth (yes, the “i” before the “e”) was released in the early 1990s heyday of Image Comics, the disruptive comic company created by hotshot artists Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld, among others.

The original series followed the adventures of The Maxx, who appears in both the real world and an alternate reality, the Outback. In the real world, he is a homeless man living in a box but in the Outback, he is a powerful masked being who is the protector of the Jungle Queen. In the real world, the latter is a social worker named Julie Winters who frequently works to help the homeless man, unaware that the alternate reality exists and is exerting a dangerous influence on her life.

Kieth was the first artist on DC comic The Sandman, which launched the career of Neil Gaiman and became one of the most acclaimed comic books of all time. He also worked on Wolverine stories for Marvel Comics Presents before going on to create Maxx. The initial series ran for five years In 1995, attracting a hip audience thanks to the unique art and an envelope-pushing story that was at once trippy and grounded.

The comic inspired an audio drama and a 13-episode cartoon series on MTV, which cemented its cult status, going on to win an Annie award for best animated series. Kieth, who continues to work on DC and Marvel projects, recently revisited the character with a special collaboration with DC for Batman/The Maxx: Arkham Dreams, a five-issue miniseries.

It is unclear if Free Association and Vertigo’s adaptation will be a series or feature. The producers are actively meeting with writers and filmmakers to find the right take for the material.

Michael Parets is overseeing the project for Free Association.

Free Association is coming off of wrapping production on Fatherhood, a Kevin Hart feature that adapts best-seller Two Kisses for Maddie. Sony releases the movie next year. The company, which was behind the franchises Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street, is prepping to shoot Dog, a canine comedy that Tatum and Carolin will direct in 2020.

Vertigo is coming off of the back-to-back releases of Stephen King adaptations It: Chapter 2 and Doctor Sleep.
Old 11-22-19, 06:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
re: The Maxx

I loved, loved, loved the MTV series. Watched it countless times from my own recorded VHS, but haven’t watched it in a very long time. Would be awesome to see a film version, but not holding my breath.
Old 11-23-19, 11:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Maxx

I hope this gets made.
I feel that they need to cast it right. The series' characters felt human even when its plot twists had the consistency of a fever dream.
I think Jennifer Lawrence would be a great choice to play Julie Winters.
How a character like Mr. Gone can be handled in a post-#MeToo world... well, you've got me there.