Community
Search

In praise of studios

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In praise of studios

So woe to the studio that gets a disc wrong. Mis-frame Back to the Future, and watch the fanboys go apeshit. Leave Willy Wonka open matte and the nasty-grams roll in by the truckload.

But when was the last time that we PRAISED a studio over doing something right? And not just in the "Come to DVDtalk and post a thread" kind of way, but praise them like we would condem them - directly to their face via e-mail or snail-mail?

I started thinking about it a week or so ago when I was reading a message on a Knight Rider forum posted by one of the dev team behind putting the disc together. He'd mentioned that it set would rock, and that if we thought so, sending a note to universal saying so would go a long way to furthering seasons 2-5.

Then I saw this tidbit in an update from TV shows on DVD

GOOD WORK NEEDS TO BE RECOGNIZED

Just as Hasbro has told us they can't deal with exclusively negative comments, the same goes for Rhino. Hasbro needs to hear when we're disappointed with a toy or feature or episode, but just as importantly needs to hear when something goes right. "Strongarm's head sculpt is awesome." "I'm relieved you're releasing Alternator Tracks." "Episode 12 showed an improvement in script translation and dubbing."

The same goes for Rhino.

If you think the Beast Wars Season 2 set kicks ass, please tell Rhino. If you think adding the Broadcast Audio option to the latter Joe and TF sets was a good idea, please tell Rhino. If you're happy you can bypass the annoying "best of" Armada discs in favor of a large box, please tell Rhino.

But don't do it on a message board, do it directly:

[email protected]

Rhino Home Video
DVD Production Team
3400 W Olive Ave
Burbank CA 91505
And I got thinking that perhaps consumer feedback SHOULD be more than just "You mis-framed Wonka! you guys SUCK!" from time to time.

Thoughts?
Old 07-12-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a bad idea. I work in cust. service and I can tell you a kind word or positive comment can go a long way.
Old 07-12-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When's the last time we praised a studio? Are you kidding? How about:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=criterion

That's just for starters.
Old 07-12-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
But when was the last time that we PRAISED a studio over doing something right? And not just in the "Come to DVDtalk and post a thread" kind of way, but praise them like we would condem them - directly to their face via e-mail or snail-mail?
Old 07-12-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When's the last time they sent a positive message to their fans for buying 3 and 4 versions of their crappy movies?

If they can't even take care of their own product and make it correct, then they should be told what a sucky job they did, ie the Back to the Future misframe. I'll make a deal with them, as soon as they start releasing only 1 version of the dvd, I'll start praising them...
Old 07-13-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I love this forum I see way too much whining and it seems to have proliferated in the last year........I think I'm just too easy to please. If I'm going to gripe about the studios then it's usually about the movies they are releasing of late, not some of the great stuff thay have out there for us to own on DVD now.
Overall I think the studios are doing a good job getting product out to us. I'm not a fan of the double dip concept either, but if it's a case of getting a barebones out there now and then a cleaned up version with more bells and whistles 2 years from now I can live with that. I don't HAVE to buy the barebones now anymore than I have to buy the SE when they release it. At least it's a chance to replace a 10 year old deteriorating tape with a nice clean DVD!
Old 07-13-04, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
If they can't even take care of their own product and make it correct, then they should be told what a sucky job they did, ie the Back to the Future misframe. I'll make a deal with them, as soon as they start releasing only 1 version of the dvd, I'll start praising them...
But if they do something RIGHT - and obivously you want the discs done right, then you'd want to reinforce that behavior, wouldnt you?

I guess I consider the human face on the other side of the DVD more than the average consumer. The production team of the Doctor Who discs have a active presence in the fan community, the folks behind the He-Man discs in the UK are very accessible, and I've had the pleasure of chatting with one of the devs behind Knight Rider. Instead of a Evil Mega-Corporation churning out product to be lapped up by the unwashed masses, I know that someone spent a great deal of time putting the disc together.
Old 07-13-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally posted by nightmaster
While I love this forum I see way too much whining and it seems to have proliferated in the last year........I think I'm just too easy to please. If I'm going to gripe about the studios then it's usually about the movies they are releasing of late, not some of the great stuff thay have out there for us to own on DVD now.
My view precisely. I am getting to the point where I rarely visit this forum, and post something even more rarely because I am filled to capacity with the whining, griping, complaining, repeating the same thread about "Storage???" or whatever.