Community
Search

W.C. Fields reissues on Nov. 9!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 09:25 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
W.C. Fields reissues on Nov. 9!

The Bank Dick, International House, It's a Gift, My Little Chickadee, and You Can't Cheat an Honest Man will be released on Nov. 9th. Retail is $59.98.
Old 07-12-04, 09:46 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to hear the full specs on this and the Marx boxset. Fantastic news.

But there's always the sneaky suspicion that these ARE the full specs.
Old 07-12-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder if I should dump my CC Bank Dick now? Or wait until the specs hit?.........

Decisions, decisions....
Old 07-12-04, 11:03 AM

What, The Bank Dick AGAIN?!

Don't get me wrong, anything that includes It's a Gift, and Never Give a Sucker... is fantastic, but, My Little Chickadee is not in the same league. And if this is 5 single discs with no extras, it's a tremendous waste of space. What they should have done is given us one of those 8 films on 2 double siders for $26 that includes all of the earlier Paramounts (say, before 1938). I hope that's still a possibility!

Meanwhile, It's a Gift is my favorite Fields, great to have it on the way!
Old 07-12-04, 11:55 AM

As a great fan of W.C. Fields, and having seen all of his films multiple times, I should be really excited about this announcement...

It's a Gift is Fields' masterpiece, so I'm delighted to finally see it released on DVD. But I already own the CC version of The Bank Dick, and the other three films--while they have their moments--are only mediocre IMO (especially the very disappointing pairing with Mae West in My Little Chickadee).

Doubtful that Universal will be release any of these separately (or that they'll include any extras), so I have to ask myself: Is It's a Gift worth 60 bucks (or $45 discounted)? I'll have to ponder that one for a while...
Old 07-12-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outstanding! And Fields is GREAT in Chickadee, can't wait to get them!
Old 07-12-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doubtful that Universal will be release any of these separately (or that they'll include any extras), so I have to ask myself: Is It's a Gift worth 60 bucks (or $45 discounted)? I'll have to ponder that one for a while...
My vote: If they *don't* release them seperately (which, I agree, is possible, maybe even likely), the discs themselves will turn up individually on E-bay.

Unless they release them in those fold-out packs or something.
Old 07-12-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do want The Old-Fashioned Way and Never Give A Sucker BADLY, as well as Trapeze, Poppy, & the others... Hope this sells well!
Old 07-12-04, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
My vote: If they *don't* release them seperately (which, I agree, is possible, maybe even likely), the discs themselves will turn up individually on E-bay.

Unless they release them in those fold-out packs or something.
Universal's website says this release will be contained in a "Digipak with Outer Box," so it's the box set or nothing. Bastards.
Old 07-12-04, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Hammer99
Outstanding! And Fields is GREAT in Chickadee, can't wait to get them!
To each his own, but I think most would agree that My Little Chickadee is one of Fields' weakest films. Although a box office success, the critics (rightly) savaged it, and what must have seemed like a can't-miss pairing of Fields & West on paper, fizzled on the screen.
Old 07-12-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
To each his own, but I think most would agree that My Little Chickadee is one of Fields' weakest films. Although a box office success, the critics (rightly) savaged it, and what must have seemed like a can't-miss pairing of Fields & West on paper, fizzled on the screen.
I think the Mae West scenes are horrible (not a fan of hers), but the Fields material is brilliant, non-stop laughter for me. I will say that the film drags badly when he's not on-screen, but I rank it after It's A Gift and Bank Dick as his 3rd best performance.
Old 07-12-04, 01:30 PM

Great....From the like specs I'm betting the Marx Bros flicks will be in crappy digipaks. Well atleast we're getting the entire Paramount run in R1 instead of the incomplete R2/R4 releases.
Old 07-12-04, 01:39 PM

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=34934
Old 07-12-04, 01:40 PM

I can never get used to US style dates; when I got to the Universal site, I thought it was September 11..I can wait a little longer!

Really excited by this and the Marx Bros. set, and the December prospect of Howard Hughes' great flying pic Hell's Angels.
Old 07-12-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they'd included "Never Give A Sucker An Even Break". And I'm keeping my CC "Bank Dick"!