Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-10-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

That's right, according to this article at cinescape.com. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

SUPERMAN`s boss headhunts for X-MEN helmer?
A website reports Bryan Singer has been offered the SUPERMAN directing job
Dateline: Friday, July 9, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
By: News Editor
Source: IGN FilmForce, USA Today

According to an informant for IGN FilmForce, X-MEN director Bryan Singer and Warner Bros. President Alan Horn recently had a business dinner meeting, and a job was offered to the helmer: come direct the new SUPERMAN feature. Reportedly Singer is mulling over the offer.

If Singer decides to accept and be the new director of SUPERMAN, all plans for his proposed remake of LOGAN'S RUN would have to go immediately on hold. The decision may also force a delay on the development of X-MEN 3, or it might even force Fox to consider hiring a replacement for Singer. The studio has announced plans to begin filming X3 next year for a May 5, 2006 release.

In other SUPERMAN news, USA Today spoke with actor Shia LaBeouf at the premiere of his new movie, I, ROBOT. The young actor told the paper that he had just met with director McG earlier that day to discuss his possible role in SUPERMAN as Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen. "The production's so locked down they said I can't even take the script home," said LeBeouf. "I have to go to Warner Bros. to read it and then leave it there."

LaBeouf did mention the leading candidates for two roles in SUPERMAN: if McG has his way and remains involved in the production, he wants Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) to play Lois Lane, Johnny Depp (SECRET WINDOW) for Lex Luthor and an unknown actor for the part of the Man of Steel.
Old 07-10-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
zuh? I rather like Bryan Singer and all, but I would like to see him do X3 as well. Seems impossible to do both
Old 07-10-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bryan Singer has his superhero franchise. Let's see someone else take the helm. David Fincher on the other hand...
Old 07-10-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
As long as they can get McG to quit, I'll be happy.
Old 07-10-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last I heard, Bryan Singer and Co. were prepping to go shoot X3 in Vancouver. I hope he sticks with his franchise; he knows the characters well and I'd hate to see another filmmaker take over the reins right when the X-Men series was hitting it's stride.
Old 07-10-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
NEWS FLASH! I'M directing Superman! Well, not for sure, but I'm pretty-sure we'll be moving forward this time. We're trying to get Nic Cage or Ashton Kutcher. Gene Hackman is reprising his role.
Old 07-10-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bad news ... my ideas have been scratched. Now it's John Singleton directing with Adam Sandler as Supe' and Beyonce as Lex. It's been reported that it's going to be along the line of 'Death of Superman'.
Old 07-10-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, I remember hearing about this when I was in the 6th grade. But hey, I remember hearing about Freddy vs Jason when I was in the fourth grade. And that actually came out when I was 19. So I guess anything is possible...someday...
Old 07-10-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am thinking that Kevin Smith might end up getting it.

Jason Mewes as Lex "Puff Daddy" Luthor
Ben Affleck as Superman
Liv Tyler as Lois Lane

Jason Lee will appear as the villian Bizarro Superman.

Lex tries to rob the Quicky Mart ; however, Superman who happens to work at the Quicky Mart foils the robbery leading to a huge hockey match on the roof with Bizzaro Superman coached by Lex.

In the end it turns out Superman is Bi ,and is in love with Bizarro Superman and Lois
Old 07-10-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
^^ Don't forget Jimmy Olsen has to be gay. Why not make him black and they can cast HooperX cover all their bases.

I thought it was an interesting bit of news to say the least. But, as usual I think they are just slinging names around to hold peoples interest.

It is like a wheel of fortune. Who will it land on? Tim Burton? McG? Michael Bay? Bryan Singer? I'm forgetting someone...
Old 07-10-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
^^ Don't forget Jimmy Olsen has to be gay. Why not make him black and they can cast HooperX cover all their bases.

I thought it was an interesting bit of news to say the least. But, as usual I think they are just slinging names around to hold peoples interest.

It is like a wheel of fortune. Who will it land on? Tim Burton? McG? Michael Bay? Bryan Singer? I'm forgetting someone...
I think they have no idea what to do. They keep trying new people and new scripts and then start getting cold feet.

They just need to pick a good director and let him run with it.

A decent movie will make them some money.
Old 07-10-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While some might laugh, I think the Coen Brothers might do a decent job with a Superman movie. Some were ready to laugh at Raimi as the choice for Spider-Man, and the two camps are good friends and employ their own unique techniques.
Old 07-10-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These superman rumor threads are getting like mad libs.

You need two actors, actress and a director.

"Warner Brothers has now announced that (director) will helm the new Superman movie. The latest actor to wear the cape will be (actor) . Lois Lane will be played by (actress) and (another actor) will play the evil Lex Luthor."

Now read it back!
Old 07-10-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Geesh why can't anyone get their facts straight?

Orson Welles will be directing Superman, with Rock Hudson in the lead, Mary Kate Olsen as Lois Lane, and Carrot Top as Jimmy Olsen. Ronal Reagan will play Lex Luthor with music by KC and the Sunshine Band.

That's the facts.
Old 07-11-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

(1) Bryan Singer has done a somewhat half-ass job with the X-Men franchise, why let him ruin another?

(2) I swear, this rumors are simply started so that the movie stays in some kind of limelight, while it actually just stays in limbo.

(3) Even if it was true, Singer would be an idiot to drop the X-Men franchise that he is havin' such success with, to take on a risky restart of a dead franchise.
Old 07-11-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think Singer's the right guy for the Superman film(s) either.
Old 07-11-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an interesting update from Entertainment Weekly, posted Friday:

by Gary Susman

SUPERSCOOP LeBeouf says he and McG discussed casting

Even though Warner Bros. is reportedly aiming for a late fall shoot on ''Superman,'' there's still no official word on who will play the Man of Steel, but one insider has plenty of info on who may play the other major roles. That's Shia LaBeouf, who spilled the beans to USA Today at Wednesday's Hollywood premiere of ''I, Robot.'' The 18-year-old ''Holes'' star, who has a small role in ''Robot'' as a street kid, said he had just come from a meeting with ''Superman'' director McG (''Charlie's Angels''), and that the two had ''talked about Jimmy Olsen and who's going to be playing who.'' In addition to the possible role for LeBeouf as the cub photojournalist, the actor said McG wants to cast Scarlett Johansson as Lois Lane and Johnny Depp as villain Lex Luthor.

If Johansson does play the Daily Planet reporter, the 19-year-old ''Lost in Translation'' star will at last have a love interest close to her own age, since the actors under consideration to play Superman are all similarly young. LeBeouf echoed a report last month in Variety that said McG will not cast a big name as Clark Kent -- even rising star Jake Gyllenhaal (''The Day After Tomorrow'') is already too big, LeBeouf said. (The studio is apparently looking for an actor who doesn't already have a well-established screen image, and who won't balk at earning a modest salary and being tied to a three-picture commitment.) ''They're going to go with an unknown,'' LeBeouf said. According to Variety, McG screen-tested half a dozen young actors for the part, including Jared Padalecki (''Gilmore Girls''), Jason Behr (''Roswell''), film newcomer Michael Cassidy, and British actor Henry Cavill (''The Count of Monte Cristo''). Guess ''Smallville'''s Tom Welling has already been there, done that.

(Posted:07/09/04)
Old 07-11-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I don't think Singer's the right guy for the Superman film(s) either.

Nope.

The only right guy ever for the Superman films was Richard Donner, and that's done.
Old 07-12-04, 12:27 AM

Bryan Singer and co. are also scheduled to do an arc or two of the Ultimate X-Men comic series, with some speculation that he may be prepping the audience for his movie. It'd be kind of silly for Marvel to hand a cornerstone of their beloved Ultimate franchise to a director and some non-descript scriptors if they weren't going to be doing X3.
Old 07-12-04, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts
Director McG Flies Out of 'Superman'

Mon Jul 12, 1:17 AM ET

Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Charlie's Angels" director McG is no longer attached to shoot the next installment of "Superman," becoming the latest filmmaker to leave the long-stalled project.
_
A Warner Bros. spokesperson confirmed that the studio and the director have amicably parted ways. The primary reason given was the inability to agree over a budget, which reportedly hovers around $200 million, similar to what current box office champ "Spider-Man 2" cost. Casting also was an issue, as was the shooting location. McG favored a New York shoot, while the studio favored Australia.

"When I flew to New York to scout, I became enamored with our greatest American city," McG, ne Joseph McGinty Nicol, said in a statement. "It was clear to me that this was Metropolis. As a filmmaker, I felt it was inappropriate to try to capture the heart of America on another continent. I look at Superman as a character that embodies all that is beautiful about America."

Warners is now on the lookout for a new director. McG's departure also does not tie the studio to the script, which was written by "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams.

In Warners' first attempt to revive the once-profitable franchise, Tim Burton was set to direct Nicolas Cage. Last year, "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner came aboard, and the names of Jude Law and Josh Hartnett were floated to play the Man of Steel. Ratner ultimately exited when the studio reportedly nixed his proposal to cast soap star Matt Bomer.
Old 07-12-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I said, I will not believe this movie is going to happen until I see a preview complete with footage from the movie. How much have they spent on this movie without shooting a single frame?

I bet it's already the most expensive movie NEVER made.
Old 07-12-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
if McG has his way and remains involved in the production, he wants Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) to play Lois Lane, Johnny Depp (SECRET WINDOW) for Lex Luthor.
I don't like his style, but he does have good taste in actors...at least this time around. Doesn't really matter now that he's gone. Which is probably good. Hopefully they'll hold on to his thoughts about which actors to go after.

I like Jason Behr. He'd fit pretty well. Although, he seems a little young for the role. I like the idea of complete new-comer better.

Which will come out first. The new Superman movie or the new Guns 'N Roses album Chinese Democracy?
Old 07-12-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we have a better chance of seeing both The Hobbit and Star Wars: Episode VII before we see the new Superman movie.
Old 07-12-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I think we have a better chance of seeing both The Hobbit and Star Wars: Episode VII before we see the new Superman movie.
With the successes of comic book films now, I think the WB will still try to rush someone into the vacant director's chair.

Paging the Wachowski's.
Old 07-12-04, 01:49 PM

Of course Warners will try to rush someone into the director's chair. A few months from now a new name will be announced ... and a few months later, that name will drop the project. That's what we've come to expect over the last decade this project has been "in development."

In many ways I wish they'd just go ahead and actually make an incredibly crappy movie, which seems to be all WB is capable of doing. Like "Catwoman", it would mean we could finally put the whole long travesty behind us.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.