Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone see "Anchorman"...how is it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 04:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Wondering if this is good for a nothing to do on a Friday matinee or perhaps for others during peak times. Not a big comedy fan in the theater, but given that I've seen Spidey and KA seems like a dud...
Old 07-09-04, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My overall response is 'eh'. It does not live up to the hype and I place it below all the recent comedies (Zoolander, Dodgeball, Old School) with some or all of the guys. It definitely had its moments, and I think it might be a movie that grows on me, but I was let down.
Old 07-09-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen it twice now. The first time I was a bit underwhelmed and surprised I didn't like it enough. Saw it again last night with the right crowd. After that, I appreciate the movie so much more. It is really, really, really funny. Steve Correl is frickin awesome in the movie. Even though it is an extended SNL skit, it is damn good and well worth seeing.
Old 07-09-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Last week I said that White Chicks was the weakest movie I had seen all year. Well, Anchorman makes White Chicks look like Citizen Kane.

Anchorman may be the worst and unfunniest "comedy" I have ever seen. It was pretty much horrible in every way, save for a couple of semi-funny cameos.

None of the characters are funny and they use the same gags over and over, which would be OK if any of them were funny, but they are not.
Old 07-09-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the movie was hysterical. Ferrell was excellent, although BRICK TAMLAND really steals the show. I laughed through the whole thing. It has some great cameos, memorable gags and moves along at a great pace. Worth seeing for sure if you're a fan of Will's.

MATT
Old 07-09-04, 10:07 AM

Well, Anchorman makes White Chicks look like Citizen Kane.
Heh, that's exactly what I said to myself after I left Anchorman.

I actually thought the actors themselves (esp. Ferrell & Rudd) were funny, but the movie just feels really disjointed, like a bunch of SNL skits strung together. The plot couldn't be flimsier, and most of the gags fell flat for me. Like I mentioned in that other thread (that got deleted), the "70s anchor" concept is kind of amusing, but it would be better off as a 3-minute SNL sketch, not an entire movie. I suggest seeing Spidey again, if you really must attend a matinee today.
Old 07-09-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funniest movie of the year. If you appreciate and enjoy what Ferrell usually does, you'll love this. A lot of improv and radom humor, and I'd say most of it works. Saw it last night, and I've already found it to be very quotable.

But me, I love what Ferrell does, and I hope the movie does well. Will's a hilarious guy, and so is everyone else in the cast. I'd give it a solid 9/10.
Old 07-09-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Funniest movie of the year. If you appreciate and enjoy what Ferrell usually does, you'll love this. A lot of improv and radom humor, and I'd say most of it works. Saw it last night, and I've already found it to be very quotable.

But me, I love what Ferrell does, and I hope the movie does well. Will's a hilarious guy, and so is everyone else in the cast. I'd give it a solid 9/10.
I second all of that
Old 07-09-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to see Spidey and Anchorman
Old 07-09-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Does it still have the "Old School reunion cameo" with Vince Vaughn and Luke Wilson the previews promise? I have heard a lot of preview material got cut.
Old 07-09-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Does it still have the "Old School reunion cameo" with Vince Vaughn and Luke Wilson the previews promise? I have heard a lot of preview material got cut.
That is indeed in the movie... but yeah, about 50% of both trailers show footage that didn't make the movie... nothing major really...but the ones that pissed me off though were

" Hi Garth, how's the divorce?"
"Not good, I might never see my kids again"
"Fantastic"

and

"Burgundy Did it, hiyo! (takes a drawer to the head, drops like a bitch) OH! Ron Burgundy is down and it is BAD!"

Neither make the flick...here's hoping they hit the dvd.

MATT
Old 07-09-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
Neither make the flick...here's hoping they hit the dvd.

MATT
The director claims after he was done editing all of the takes together into one movie, it was over 4 hours long. After he cut the movie down into what's in theaters right now, he said he has enough material left to make another movie, and he will put it out on DVD.

Me personally, I'd love to see a 4 hour cut of this movie. I'd have no problem sitting through it, but that's just me.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040628c.php
Old 07-09-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed this movie. If you like what you see in the trailers/commercials, you'll probably like the movie. Looking forward to the extended dvd(s).
Old 07-09-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked a lot of the movie, but not all of it. The funny parts were really funny, however, there were a lot of jokes fell flat. I would recommend it though.
Old 07-09-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theater. If a number of obscene and stupid lines can create comedy gold at the box office, give me a pen, cause I'm going to Hollywood. The lines had no impact, just a bunch of stupid things no one should ever say.
Old 07-09-04, 08:15 PM

I thought it had some good laughs, worth the five bucks I paid for an afternoon show, but there were some awkward lapses where I felt it could have used a better editor. Did anyone else notice that the hippy teacher from "Freaks and Geeks" was sitting behind Burgundy in the restaurant? I kept waiting for some incident to come up utilizing him, but apparently he was just an extra. Maybe it was edited out.
Old 07-09-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lotta extras from apatow productions, since he produced it.
Old 07-09-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw it. Funny movie, but not the kind that will stick with you after you leave the theater. I give it a B-, but it doesn't seem to aspire to anything other than that.

Loved the cameos, and there is no doubt that Ferrell was making a lot of his character up as he went. FWIW, I thought Christina Applegate did a good job and hope this movie gives her the break she deserves.
Old 07-10-04, 12:37 AM

I was incredibly disappointed with Anchorman. I LOVED Old School, Dodgeball, and Zoolander, so it's not that I don't appreciate that 'type' of humor. I thought the script was terrible--it's hard for Will Ferrell not to be hilarious, but somehow the scriptwriters made it happen.

Definitely the worst movie I've seen this year. I would have been happy to leave halfway through if CM had wanted to.
Old 07-10-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hands down, funniest film of the year. LOVED the random and improvised humor Ferrell and company brought to this picture.

Spoiler:
The audience at my showing lost it during the anchorman fight scene with cameos from Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson, Tim Robbins, and Ben Stiller.

I also loved the Smokey and the Bandit II outake at the end.
Old 07-10-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
The news team gang war was my favorite part as well, along with the insults over the news credits
Old 07-10-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to have to go with the "omg what did I just watch and did I actually spend money on this?" crowd in this thread.

The only parts I found semi-amusing was still the "I'm Ron Burgandy?" bit from the trailer, any of Fred Willard's conversations on the phone, and the sight gag of the 8 total squared Rubix cube on the desk. They went off on too many stupid tangents when they could have done so much with the main idea of the movie. And I'm probably the only person who got annoyed by the weatherman and didn't find him in the least bit funny. I dunno eh.
Old 07-10-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
One of the local reviewers gave it only "one movie reel" unless you lived here... in that case he gives it "two movie reels"

He thought it had a few good moments but, overall, wasn't funny. This seems to go along with many posts here.

Too bad for Will. Seems like he's got a lot of projects coming up in the next couple years (11 films finished/filming/in production/announced). Maybe it's becoming quantity over quality?
Old 07-10-04, 10:00 AM

Well, since everyone seems to be comparing this to Old School, DodgeBall, and Zoolander, here is how I rank them:

Anchorman > Old School > Zoolander

I didn't really think Old School was that great, and I almost hated Zoolander (Will's character was the only thing in Zoolander that I liked.) I haven't seen Dodge Ball yet.
Old 07-10-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have seen Dodge Ball, and I rank them as:

Anchorman > Old School > Dodge Ball > Zoolander

Anchorman and Old School are very close, and I would rank them much higher than Dodge Ball and Zoolander

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.