Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Compact DVD storage ideas

Old 07-08-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my DVD collection continues to grow, I am very near the point where "conventional" shelf storage will no longer be an option, and I am looking into what my options are for something more compact, but still accessible.

So far, the only solutions I have found that sound even remotely workable are binders, such as those from Case Logic, or disc caddies, such as these.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or have any other ideas for compact DVD storage?
Old 07-08-04, 06:51 PM

I am in the same situation as you. I purchased four case logic 208 ct binders when Best Buy had them on sale for 24.99. My thought was I would buy 9 folders for each of the genres I would break my collection into. Now I wish I had waited. After trying to find some deals on some more folders I found these alternatives.

Case Logic

and

Library media tower

I am really leaning towards the rack from Amazon and buying the paper sleaves that are available from case logic thinking it would probably hold 700 dvd's in the sleaves since it can store 228 CDs with their cases. Also would be easy to keep collection in alphabetical order.

Now what to do with 4 binders i have already invested $100 and my 3 section Boltz rack.

Last edited by rockinbrian19; 07-08-04 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-08-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is an excellent idea, although I would consider something less abrasive than paper sleeves. I know they are the most economical, but it would seem that they increase the chance of disc damage.

As far as what to do with your binders, that is easy. Print catalog pages for your library from DVD Profiler or some other DVD organizer, and store them in your binders. That way, guests can still peruse your library without opening the drawers of your cabinets.
Old 07-08-04, 11:05 PM
Cool New Member

From my experiences with cds, I would not recommend the sleeves.
Old 07-09-04, 04:52 PM

http://www.discsox.com
Old 07-09-04, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by RoboDad
As far as what to do with your binders, that is easy. Print catalog pages for your library from DVD Profiler or some other DVD organizer, and store them in your binders. That way, guests can still peruse your library without opening the drawers of your cabinets.
I use an alternate method. Each binder has a number range (say, 1001-1200), each disck pocket inside is labeled with a sequential number in that range (1001, 1002, 1003, etc).

Each of the numbers corresponds to a Collection # in DVDProfiler. All browsing/searching done in DVDProfiler, check what the Collection # for the interested title is, then grab it from the appropriate binder.

Works great, infinitely scalable (since you don't have to worry about keeping things alphabetized).