Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this over at horrordvd.com:

Paul Anderson has already began to cast the leads in RE2. Milla Jovovich and Eric Mabius have already been CONFIRMED for some time now. New cast members will include Mira Sorvino (Mimic), Chris Klien (American Pie), and Asia Argento (XxX).

It's rumored that Sarah Michelle Gellar was so amazed with the first film that she has signed up for the sequel. Also pop singer
Pink will play a role in the film.
Old 08-02-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOunds good. Just rented RE and was very surprised....it was pretty good! Nice job....video game movies usually suck big time but this one held up. Bring on RE2!
Old 08-02-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Resident Evil 2...

Originally posted by highdef

Paul Anderson has already began to cast the leads in RE2. Milla Jovovich and Eric Mabius have already been CONFIRMED for some time now. New cast members will include Mira Sorvino (Mimic), Chris Klien (American Pie), and Asia Argento (XxX).

It's rumored that Sarah Michelle Gellar was so amazed with the first film that she has signed up for the sequel. Also pop singer
I heard that Natasha Henstridge was going to play Jill Valentine, guess Mira Sorvino will take ove those duties now. It's apparent that her Oscar winning performance has lost its luster for her to do this. Also, I doubt a sequel to RE would get such a prestigious cast. When IMDB makes everything official, I will believe it.
Old 08-02-02, 02:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good to hear. I too just saw RE 1 for the first time the other day and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-02-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That seems like a pretty big name cast for the sequal for a movie that didn't make that much bank. I'd still like to see it though.
Old 08-02-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
when was Mira Confirmed? I thought that was just a rumor?
Old 08-02-02, 06:09 PM

chris klien? ugh.

i guess he fits, though.
Old 08-03-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'M A MEMBER OF S.T.A.R. !
Old 08-03-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Surpisingly, imdb lists the relase date for this movie as July 4, 2003. I'm sure that can easily change and the info may not be that reliable anyways, but that would explain a much bigger name cast.
Old 08-03-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
IMDB is user driven, so I wouldn't put to much faith in those dates.
Old 08-03-02, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Random
I'M A MEMBER OF S.T.A.R. !
Not to point out my level of geekness, but it's "S.T.A.R.S." isn't it?
Old 08-03-02, 05:41 AM

yes.

and i'd just like to say "resident evil" was a pretty bad movie.
Old 08-03-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty bad, and had a huge drop rate. a typical summer movie, but since they can milk the cow a little more, why not a sequel. Maybe this one will have more then 10 minutes of zombie action.
Old 08-03-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Resident Evil 2...

Originally posted by highdef

Kepp Sarah Michelle "Me and my boyfriend killed Scooby-Doo" Gellar, and Pink out of this movie. The cast is ok I can see Mira playing Jill, their faces look alike, but Chris Klien? His face looks too dumb to play Chris Redfield, or god forbid Leon Kennedy....

Mira/ Jill

Chris / Leon, or Chris?

But Im still wondering who is going to play this guy...
Albert Wesker

His voice was all over this movie, which was cool, but Id like to see him introduced .
Old 08-03-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by torrance
yes.

and i'd just like to say "resident evil" was a pretty bad movie.
Well, not that I like to throw numbers from IMDB around, but a 6.6 rating with over 5000 people voting is a good sign that many people out there really enjoyed the film. Frankly, I'm looking forward to the SE DVD of this one.

Sure it doesn't live up to zombie classics like Night Of The Living Dead or Dawn Of The Dead - but the film was a different beast altogether. Not so much zombie-horror but a flashy, SFX driven action flick.

Personally, I would have preferred it if the film had retained the same spooky, cling to the ceiling style of the games - but where it failed on that account, I thought Paul Anderson's translation was at least a very fun excercise in popcorn entertainment.

-matt
Old 08-03-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by raithen

Sure it doesn't live up to zombie classics like Night Of The Living Dead or Dawn Of The Dead - but the film was a different beast altogether. Not so much zombie-horror but a flashy, SFX driven action flick.

Good, everything the game wasn't.

the game was very much connected to Night of the living dead and those zombie movies. the movie was fine for what it was. but I sure do wish Romero did it.
Old 08-03-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
but I sure do wish Romero did it.
You and me both!

(But I did enjoy it none-the-less...)

-matt
Old 08-03-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I sure do wish Romero did it.
Romero has directed one movie since 1993 (Bruiser) which sucked and hasn't had a decent movie since the 80's... As far as I'm concerned, Anderson is on a winning streak... I think he does a great job with this genre. He may not have much in the way of style, but he at least knows what he's doing. Plus - the less you give him to work with, the better the film turns out to be. Mortal Kombat was a stupid fighting video game with not much story-wise to go on and he turned it into a surprise hit movie. I thought Resident Evil kicked serious ass (even though the video games were cheesey and dumb) and I think George Romero would've ruined it. Don't get me wrong about the video games RE and MK - I like em both alot... As for Event Horizon - I thought it was creepy as hell... Huanted House in Space is so easy to do poorly and he did a great job with the idea. Soldier was pretty dumb, but I think budget had alot to do with it (although not everything). Haven't seen Shopping. I'm looking forward to more horror films from this guy.
Old 08-03-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Romero has directed one movie since 1993 (Bruiser) which sucked and hasn't had a decent movie since the 80's
You're kidding right? I'd take Bruiser over any of these so called "Horror" films from the 90s I know.... Jeepers...Dracula 2K...Valentine...Jason X....8 Legged. Keep in mind if it werent for Romero's Dead Trilogy there would be no Resident Evil. Thats where the creators got their inspiration, and FYI Roemro directed the japanese commercial for RE 2. Sadly his script was rejected and he was eventually fired. But if you read Romero's script you can draw some parallels to what occurs in Anderson's movie, and Romero's script. Only Romero's script involved characters from the fist game and it took place in the actual Mansion. I liked Anderson's RE, but I do often wonder how much it would have rocked if Romero did the film. Romero knows how to make a zombie film so I dont see how he could have ruined something like RE.
Old 08-03-02, 10:23 PM

i generally like anderson's work. soldier was boring but still watchable. mortal kombat was good enough. event horizon is a fantastic horror film.

i saw nothing redeeming in RE though. it seemed like the violence was edited for a PG-13 rating despite being R. the zombie themselves were handled pretty well, but the rest...

i wish anderson would put some distance from the filtered, glossy, MTV style he used.
Old 08-13-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Re: Resident Evil 2...

Originally posted by zero
But Im still wondering who is going to play this guy...
Albert Wesker

His voice was all over this movie, which was cool, but Id like to see him introduced .
I suppose you're reffering to the voice over narrator and the guy who says he want Matt (Eric Mabius) in the Nemesis project and has ALice (Milla Jovovich) quarantined. That was Jason Isaacs in an uncredited cameo (I'm so glad Anderson confirmed this in the audio commentary cos I went as far as to pause the DVD when he showed up to prove that I wasn't nuts *l*). Sadly he never wore Wesker's trademark shades during his third appearance (though second time we actually see him rather than just hear him -- when he's saying he wants Alice quarantined) but here's hoping he slips them on for the sequel cos he'd be great as Wesker (even though he should not sport blonde hair as it would not suit him)!
Old 08-14-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Resident Evil 2...

Originally posted by RocShemp

I suppose you're reffering to the voice over narrator and the guy who says he want Matt (Eric Mabius) in the Nemesis project and has ALice (Milla Jovovich) quarantined. That was Jason Isaacs in an uncredited cameo (I'm so glad Anderson confirmed this in the audio commentary cos I went as far as to pause the DVD when he showed up to prove that I wasn't nuts *l*). Sadly he never wore Wesker's trademark shades during his third appearance (though second time we actually see him rather than just hear him -- when he's saying he wants Alice quarantined) but here's hoping he slips them on for the sequel cos he'd be great as Wesker (even though he should not sport blonde hair as it would not suit him)!
I gave it a lot of thought the only person I could envision playing Wesker looks wise would be Val Kilmer. Sadly he doesnt have the voice.
Old 08-14-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only really decent Resident Evil game was the first one, OP (original playstation) .

The mantion was creepy, the dialogue was cheesy, and the monsters were huge and scary. This seems to be a good formula for a NOTLD rehash and I think it could work. A mantion adds a level of mystery to a deserted house, and the past few haunted mansion stories have been stinkers (13 ghosts, The Haunting, The house on the Haunted Hill). Iwould like to see a haunted mansion story done right, and RE1 could provide the guts.

Okay so i haven't seen the new RE1, but I am going to.

fave quote from RE1 Barry: "You were almost a Jill-sandwich!"

I still laugh everytime i play that game!

Last edited by darkessenz; 08-14-02 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-14-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Milla. I think her best performance has been in "The Claim".

Chris Klien has got to be one of the worst/wooden actors I have ever seen. I am amazed that he keeps getting roles.
Old 08-14-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Klein would be great if he had a cameo as a hapless victim that gets devoured by a group of zombies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.