Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

M. Night Shyamalan doing a "virtual Q&A"...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 07:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty interesting stuff...

"Moviegoers across the country will have a rare opportunity to spend an evening with the cinema’s modern master of suspense – M. Night Shyamalan – as Regal CineMediaSM (RCM) and Touchstone Pictures present “In the Director’s Chair™ with M. Night Shyamalan,” a special retrospective and live “Q & A” session scheduled for Tuesday, July 20th, it was announced today (7/6/04) by Dennis Rice, Senior Vice President, The Walt Disney Studios. Veteran film critic Joel Siegel (“Good Morning America”) will lead the Academy Award® nominated director (“The Sixth Sense,” “Signs”) in a discussion of his career and showcase exclusive footage from his upcoming Touchstone Pictures’ film, “The Village.” The retrospective and live interactive discussion, which starts at 9:00 pm (ET) and 6:00 pm (PT), will transmit from the “Good Morning America” Studio in New York, and be beamed via satellite to 41 Regal Entertainment Group (“REG” NYSE: RGC) movie theatres across the country. Thousands of people across four time zones are expected to attend and participate in the live forum, and pre-selected audience members will also have the opportunity to ask questions directly to Shyamalan. Tickets for this exclusive in-theatre event go on sale today at select Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres* nationwide and are also available online at www.regalcm.com. Admission price will be $10."

~http://www.shyamalan.net/

I'd like to go but the nearest theatre is ninety minutes away. Grr...
Old 07-06-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Man thats some crazy idea.

I like M. Night and have really enjoyed all three of his movies. I might even go and say that he's among the best directors out there right now.

But this may be a bit too much..
Old 07-06-04, 07:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Goat3001
But this may be a bit too much..
Maybe he just feels like it'll make up for the bad publicity he's gotten or whatnot from people who say he's such an ass. Just my two cents. I think it's pretty cool of him.
Old 07-06-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If any theatres in Ontario were participating, I'd certainly be therel... this is a really cool idea... too bad I live in Canada :P

MATT
Old 07-06-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Terry Tate
Maybe he just feels like it'll make up for the bad publicity he's gotten or whatnot from people who say he's such an ass. Just my two cents. I think it's pretty cool of him.
I think its a cool idea and I think its cool for him.

But people say he's an ass? I wouldn't have guessed since he's gotten top actors working for him in his first 3 movies. And I figure Bruce Willis liked him enough to do two of his movies. So did Joaquin Phoenix.
Old 07-06-04, 10:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Goat3001
But people say he's an ass? I wouldn't have guessed since he's gotten top actors working for him in his first 3 movies. And I figure Bruce Willis liked him enough to do two of his movies. So did Joaquin Phoenix.
People... as in people like us. All I hear from fellow movie fans is that he's egotistical, not very fan-friendly, blah blah blah. I doubt he is, though. Disney knows his name can sell movies now, hence putting "An M. Night Shyamalan Film" and all of that junk while promoting.
Old 07-06-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pondering going to this. While I hated The Sixth Sense and Signs, I did love Unbreakable. I do want to see his new film, but I feel like I'll hate it similar to The Sixth Sense and Signs.

And how could he be an ass if he's agreeing to do a virtual Q & A? Would Val Kilmer do a virtual Q & A?
Old 07-06-04, 11:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
And how could he be an ass if he's agreeing to do a virtual Q & A?
That's my point, though. This sorta proves some people kinda wrong... if that even made any sense at all.

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Would Val Kilmer do a virtual Q & A?
I actually heard him, Russell Crowe and Tom Hanks are scheduled to do one together next month.

*shivers*

That'd be one scary Q&A.
Old 07-07-04, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Sham-a-lang-a-ding-dong is trying to stop the Sc-Fi channel from airing a documentary about him which supposedly uncovers a secret of his that he does not want to get out. I'm very interested in finding out what that is.

I enjoyed his first 2 films, but Signs was an embarrassment. Hoping his new film gets him back on track.
Old 07-07-04, 09:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. Pay $10 to watch advertising for The Village? Why don't they do this for free over that new fangled Intarweb thing? This would be a cool idea if it were FREE but to charge for this is ridiculous. I was undecided whether to see The Village but publicity stunts like this has helped make up my mind.
Old 07-07-04, 11:58 AM

What is the village about anyway?
Old 07-07-04, 12:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Jaymole
Sham-a-lang-a-ding-dong is trying to stop the Sc-Fi channel from airing a documentary about him which supposedly uncovers a secret of his that he does not want to get out. I'm very interested in finding out what that is.
I think that's been debunked as an elaborate scam to get publicity for the new film.

In the real world, a doc like that would be met with a lawsuit.
Old 07-07-04, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah. What Scott said.

I think the "fued" is fake... just to attract people to it.
Old 07-07-04, 03:56 PM
Banned

I heard the sci fi special is a mockumentary, like Blair Witch Project.
Old 07-07-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why you would call this a bad idea is beyond me. You don't have to go. But here we have a director offering himself to people in 41 theaters for a nationwide QA. It's different, it's new, and it's great for those people who want to attend. So like...can we not bash this just cause we don't like M Night? It's a great idea. M Night loves movies, and his passion shows. You may hate his movies, but they're very much his, and that passion and creativity I admire big time.

And why do people call M Night an ass? Cause he's rich and successful. I think that explains most of it.
Old 07-07-04, 06:19 PM

Spoiler:
HE is actually dead.
Old 07-07-04, 10:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by jaeufraser
And why do people call M Night an ass? Cause he's rich and successful. I think that explains most of it.
Have you read his interviews? To write the above statement tells me no.

I'm middlin' on the films, but his ego is such a beast it makes the output seem worse.

It's fine to be rich and successful, but to feel the need to remind people that you're such a huge talent is a big turnoff.

Plus there's that whole "secret to making hit films" crap... I'm still waiting for that to backfire on him.
Old 07-09-04, 01:12 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by scott shelton
Plus there's that whole "secret to making hit films" crap... I'm still waiting for that to backfire on him.
I honestly don't think it will until he makes a huge-ass dud of a film. But, since he takes his time on each of 'em, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Hey, I'd probably have a huge ego if I had three big, successful films in a row.
Old 07-09-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$10 I better be able to ask a question. And since I won't I'd rather see a movie.
Old 07-09-04, 12:23 PM

Did anyone check this out last night? I'm interested to see how it was.
Old 07-09-04, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
It's scheduled for Tuesday, July 20
Old 07-09-04, 02:05 PM

"...I'm retarded." -Farley