Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sex and the City...good blind buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sex and the City...good blind buy?

Forgive me if this has been asked, I did a search and found nothing, so it has been asked before, I apologize.
I was thinking of picking up Season 1 of Sex and the City today. Would this be one that I would want to pick up? I have never seen the show, but I am a HUGE Kim Catrall fan. Should I pick this one up or rent first?
Any nudity of Kim in the first season?
Old 07-05-04, 06:02 PM
Zee

I bought the first season blind and loved it. Sounds like you're a guy--so I'm not sure that you'll relate to every episode, but they all have the same outstanding comic bite. And yes, there's plenty of Kim showing her stuff in the first season.
Old 07-05-04, 06:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I think it's worth it, I enjoyed the show alot.
Old 07-06-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm a guy too but I enjoy the series a bit as well, something both my fiance and I can both watch.... and mind you that our tastes are usually way off, I usually can't stand chick flicks because they alllllllllllll usually have the same story and plot, just with different characters playing the roles.
Old 07-06-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think that 'TV series' and 'blind buy' go together.

This is easily available as a rental and (for that matter) even available at a few libraries in my area.
Old 07-06-04, 07:29 AM

Plenty of Kim nekkid ...

Anyway, I've foung this series an enjoyable diversion, but it is personally something I'd only watch once but YMMV.
Old 07-06-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it as a blind buy and enjoyed it. Also, COSTCO has this for only $20 a season this week.
Old 07-06-04, 02:40 PM

I'd recommend renting one disc before purchasing season sets. I think there's a small chance you wouldn't like the show, a small chance you'll love it enough to buy them all and a good chance thay you'll like it enough to rent and watch all the episodes once.
Old 07-06-04, 03:54 PM

This is a great series to come into. Althought I have to admit that the show was really trying to find its footing in Season 1 (some episodes where great, some bad). I came into the series in season three would my sister wouldn't stop bugging me to watch it, and I never looked back... FYI I believe that Kim Catrall looses her cloths in like 90% of the episodes in the series.
Old 07-06-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also, just as a taste, maybe you can watch an episode or two on tbs. yeah they are edited, but you'd get a general idea of what you are getting into.
Old 07-06-04, 05:26 PM
Banned

WOW just picked it up for $20 at Costco last night, and it was damn funny, there were parts that seemed a little over the top, but Kim Catrall has such great comedic timing, you'd think she's the star of the show.
I was only able to watch up to "Twenty Something Guys" up from what I saw it was funny. The highlights were

1) "I don't want to be the up the butt lady, because guys don't marry the up the butt lady"- I was rolling on the floor with that one

2) KIM CATRALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) There's one scene in there where Parker is talking to a guy and the guy is basically saying, "I just want to get married....what the hell....why all the games". That scene was like I was looking in a damn mirror.

4) "Nope definetly not a lesbian".......Another classic one liner

This show is pretty damn funny, but Definetly not intended for kids or even teens for that matter. The subject matter is definetly for people in the early 20's to their 40s from what I've seen so far.

By the way, Charlotte(Kristen Davis is fine as hell....any chance she is naked in this season, or another?
Old 07-06-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or if you have TBS, watch a few of the editted TV versions. They are still in the middle of season 1. FYI the show goes through some retooling in the beginning so don't get immediately turned off, The grainess and the "talking to the camera"/interview stuff goes away...
Old 07-06-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is a very good show... I am still a little mad about what they did at the end with the dvds, the splitting the last season and selling as two parts... but that has nothing to do with the quality of the show.
Old 07-06-04, 11:16 PM

This is a good series. Can't go wrong buying it blind.
Old 07-07-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Dalvin

By the way, Charlotte(Kristen Davis is fine as hell....any chance she is naked in this season, or another?
Yes. b00bies.
Old 07-07-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

Will there ever be a COMPLETE 6th season?

I was happy to hear that the interviews of people go away after awhile, that was a little distracting, but glad to know that goes away. Just a question, is Sarah Jessica Parker's voice overhead throughout all the seasons as she is writting her column) or does that go away as well?

I also wanted to ask, what do you think are the chances that they will release a COMPLETE 6th season on DVD once Part 2 comes out? I will wait if they plan on doing this sometime in the future
Old 07-07-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't think the charlotte narrating ever went away. and hbo might put both parts of 6 together one of these days, but nothing has been announced yet
Old 07-08-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Carrie's narration stays. I can see HBO combining all seasons into a single set (probably just a box around the other other packages). Not sure about a complete season 6 anytime soon.
Old 07-08-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season six is split because it is the longest of all 6 - 20 as opposed to 18. I would hope the second set will contain extras like the ones they showed right before the last episode among other items.
Old 07-08-04, 03:02 PM
Banned

I think I'm hooked on this show. I only have three more episodes to watch for season 1, and that puppy is done with. Does Season 2 get even better? Good show to get your mind from everything. Very sultry. I already want Charlotte to settle down and marry some nice guy. Please don't do any spoilers here, but I just hope she finds someone, she seems like the nicest out of the bunch.
Old 07-08-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Well unless HBO ever plans on re-airing it, I would recommend it since I presume that TBS is butchering it.
Old 07-08-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
Well unless HBO ever plans on re-airing it, I would recommend it since I presume that TBS is butchering it.
Actually not too badly. It is kind of fun to see what they change - there is still some nudity in it too. Plus I'm sure HBO was negotiated so that they couldn't show re-runs that might upstage the airings on TBS (considering how much effort was put into buying the rights and the effort to somewhat sanatize it - I'm still interested to see how the chakra episode with the spunk in the face is handled).

I read an article that said the 4 ladies came back in to re-dub anything that was deemed "inappropiate" , and the actresses thought some of the changes were lame and didn't fit with well with the original intention of the lines or would show up as bad dubbing. So they got together and tried acceptable language that they thought would work better. It is fun - still not the same as the DVDs or on HBO.... but hell I hate trying to select an episode when I want to throw one in.

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-08-04 at 06:47 PM.