Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

CD skipping

Old 07-02-04, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD skipping

Is there anyway possible to "Fix" a skipping cd? I just got a new cd at a concert which ALL the band signed. When i got home and popped it in the player 1 song skips toward the end then it gets sorta "Stuck" in one spot. I am not impressed. I cannot return the cd itself as it is not available in stores anywhere. It is on the bands own label and distributed at shows and the singers site only.
Suggestions???
Old 07-02-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is it scratched? if not, try a different cd player to confirm that the cd is defective. if that's the case, i'm not sure there's anything you can to do "repair" it yourself.
Old 07-02-04, 05:05 PM

yep, sligt scratch.
works in the car Alpine deck, the Sony SACD it don't and DVD it don't. I refuse to put a non cdr in the player/boombox in the garage. Just waay to much dust/dirt out there for a cd.
Old 07-02-04, 05:19 PM

Cleaned it with "Mothers Plastic Polish" and it still doesn't work in the SACD player but it does in the DVD player. Guess that's whaat i'll have to use.
Old 07-02-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there are many "cd repair" kits available. check any retail outlet for them.
Old 07-03-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

try it on the comp & rip it or copy it, usually works for me
Old 07-03-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Someone told me recently that if you put a skipping CD in the toilet, and then flush the toilet, the swirling motion of the water will cause water to fill in any places that are skipping, and the laser will read through the water like it's part of the disc....or some hokey crap like that. I personally don't have any CD's that skip, and if I did, I don't know if I'd try the toilet as a fix. However, if your CD is already skipping, I guess it couldn't hurt. At the very least, you'll end up with a wet disc. At the worst, a chunk of something you ate recently could end up swirling around with your disc, filling it in with something special, if you catch my meaning.

Anyone else heard of the toilet thing?
Old 07-03-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The_Infidel
Someone told me recently that if you put a skipping CD in the toilet, and then flush the toilet, the swirling motion of the water will cause water to fill in any places that are skipping, and the laser will read through the water like it's part of the disc....or some hokey crap like that. I personally don't have any CD's that skip, and if I did, I don't know if I'd try the toilet as a fix. However, if your CD is already skipping, I guess it couldn't hurt. At the very least, you'll end up with a wet disc. At the worst, a chunk of something you ate recently could end up swirling around with your disc, filling it in with something special, if you catch my meaning.

Sounds grounded in reality.

One could try the toilet thing ... or maybe try using a program that does error correction and extract the data from the scratched cd - then reburn.

Something like EAC - Exact Audio Copy

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Old 07-03-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by The_Infidel

Dude, that's bullshit.

I've actually read that smearing baking soda toothpaste over scratches on a cd can help repair them without resurfacing them with one of those cd grinders.
Old 07-03-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I have heard that boiling DVDs (particularly when Anchor Bay was releasing a lot of stinkers) would help remove particles from scratches and stuff and would make them work better. Never had a disc bad enough to try it.
Old 07-03-04, 08:23 PM
Cool New Member

Definitely try to copy it, preferably on a computer before any other solution. I've copied two CDs that skipped and they are flawless.
Old 07-04-04, 02:35 AM
Suspended

I've heard that dipping the cd in a pot of lava will do wonders!
Old 07-04-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I've heard that dipping the cd in a pot of lava will do wonders!
but that's assuming you can get the lava to stay in the pot. i just microwave mine to sort of "melt" the scratches away.
Old 07-04-04, 07:25 AM

Thinking it's the SACD player now. Just opened the new Scorpions cd and track 2 skips. Thats 2 brand new cd's that that I got this week that won't work in it. Both work fine in the car and dvd player.