Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

M$ asking me to change my xbox live name

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M$ asking me to change my xbox live name

Hey guys I just got a email from M$ asking me to change my xbox live name cause it's close to some other persons name. It said call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and I will get Gotham Racing® 2 for having to change my name. Turth is I want nothing to do with that game and I like my live name. So I'm going to bitch some and hope they offer me two free games :P I remember it worked for a guy here who lost his HD.

Has anyone else got this email?
Old 07-02-04, 02:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds fishy.

As online gaming grows in popularity, there will be tons of names similar to one another.

Maybe someone at MS wants that gamer tag.

I would't bitch too much, as a free game's a free game. You can always trade it in the trade forum here for something you want.

It's a popular game, so you shouldn't have any difficulties.
Old 07-02-04, 02:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wolf Wood?
Old 07-02-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the same email today; my major complaint is that I've been on live since the thing started up (the beta period, actually), and so if anyone should have to change their tag it should be the other guy, not me!
Old 07-02-04, 02:40 PM
Banned

Well got off the phone with M$ it's real. I picked Top Spin as my free game. Now I got to think of a new tag.

Games you can pick were PGR2, Top Spin, and Links.

Also guy I talked to was very cool we talked about army of darkness. That is my email and he needed it so he got to talking about the movie. Damn thinking of a new name is going to be damn hard. I may just try to add somehting to my name and keep it and just have people call me the first part. I have a idea hope it works.

Also I tryed to ask if I bitch enouth would he hook me up with two games he said laughing at me no cause they was sending out over 500 games.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-02-04 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Well got off the phone with M$ it's real. I picked Top Spin as my free game. Now I got to think of a new tag.
What about Woof Wood? Or Wolf Would? Possibly Wood Wolf.
Old 07-02-04, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Wolf Wood?
This is Wolf Wood

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-02-04 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 02:54 PM

TOPDAWG,
did the customer service rep at least explain why they were asking this of you?

I'm curious what's behind this considering what TheDude said about being in this from the beginning.
Old 07-02-04, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by squi23
TOPDAWG,
did the customer service rep at least explain why they were asking this of you?

I'm curious what's behind this considering what TheDude said about being in this from the beginning.
No idea I guess they don't want names that look the same so people can feel cool about thier stats or something. That way you knwo who it is and nto thinking it someone else cause thier name look like some other persons name. Here is the email text.

You're receiving this e-mail because your Xbox Live™ gamertag is almost identical to another subscriber's gamertag.

To make sure all your stats, hits, tackles and wins are counted, we need you to create a new gamertag. Within the next 10 days, you will be prompted to change your gamertag when you go to your dash. Simply follow the directions to change your gamertag and you will be up and running again in no time ready to play. Don't worry about losing anything...all your stats will carry over to your new gamertag.

And as a show of appreciation for making the switch, we'll send you a free copy of Project Gotham Racing® 2. You must call 1-800-4MY-XBOX, within the next 7 days to receive your free copy. Let them know that you received this e-mail about changing your gamertag and they will take care of the rest.

We apologize for the inconvenience—but with your new gamertag, the other 1 million players worldwide will have no problem finding you on their Friends List.

Happy Gaming
The Xbox Live Team

I think it's a dumb idea whats going to happen once you get more people joined you're going ot run out of cool names. Also maybe they want some new folks to get the name so they will like live being as I payed for it maybe they was thiniking he would not mind. I do mind damn the free game I want to keep the name.

PS. Sorry about the bad spelling and grammer in a hurry on way out see ya.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-02-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 03:05 PM
Retired

Just plain dumb. What are the going to do next gen when even more people are on Live as online gaming continutes to grow?

I don't imagine investors will like them giving away free games when games are the only profit in the gaming industry.
Old 07-02-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
To make sure all your stats, hits, tackles and wins are counted, we need you to create a new gamertag.
So it's not optional -- they're forcing you to. And then you have to tell everyone who has you on their list your new name. Man, what a hassle.
Old 07-02-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Good thing i never see anybody using anything close to my name.
Old 07-02-04, 03:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is insane. People with similar usernames is an everyday part of the internet. How are they deciding who gets to keep what tag?
Old 07-02-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there's a theory that it is b/c of the EA Sport games are being released and they can't handle spaces as a character.

so BOB and B O B would be recognized as the same gamertag. but, it's just a theory.
Old 07-02-04, 03:17 PM
Banned

Back now if anyone else needs to call them ask for me would ya? I kind of what to know now. I'm pissed I love my tag. If I wanted any of the games you could pick from I would have already got it for myself. OHHH well at least they are gaving me something. OK I'm done bitching now :P
Old 07-02-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
That sucks!

I wonder who the hell "wolfwood" is, and why his gamertag is not simular to your gamertag instead of the other way around?

BTW:
wolph would

Last edited by goLUCKY; 07-02-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

bah! dumb.
Old 07-02-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
That's bullshit. That other user musta bitched up a storm. I hate Stat whores.
Old 07-02-04, 04:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd change my xbl name for a free game in a second.
Old 07-02-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by goLUCKY
That sucks!

I wonder who the hell "wolfwood" is

The most rockinest minster ever!
Old 07-02-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TheDude
I got the same email today; my major complaint is that I've been on live since the thing started up (the beta period, actually), and so if anyone should have to change their tag it should be the other guy, not me!
Sounds like the whole Michael Bolton thing from Office Space.

Sucks you have to change your gamertag, but at least you got a game out of it.
Old 07-02-04, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by young
there's a theory that it is b/c of the EA Sport games are being released and they can't handle spaces as a character.

so BOB and B O B would be recognized as the same gamertag. but, it's just a theory.
That is what I was thinking. Something to do with faulty programming on Microsofts part (Live doesn't recognize the spaces all the time) or strick coding on EA's part (they don't recognize spaces at all). Either way, it sucks for those 500 people who have to change their names. Free game or not, game names are personal to people. I guess MS thinks a free game will help fill that void - the cost of running a business I guess.
Old 07-02-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by young

Well, I have a space in my GamerTag, and no one contacted me....that woudl be nice though, a free game (even though I already have the 3 offered)
Old 07-02-04, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I'd change my xbl name for a free game in a second.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-02-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like some kind of scam, but I think thats their real phone number so it just seems plain dumb.

oh well you got the free game though .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.