Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw Spider-man 2.....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw Spider-man 2 and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even better than the original, Doc Ock is a much better villian than green goblin. IMHO.

Should do lots of $$$$$$ at the box office.

Bring on Spidy 3!!!

Jezza
Old 06-30-04, 12:11 AM

SM2 is a fantastic film! I was really starting to get down on comic films after Daredevil and Hulk. I think this is one of the best, up there with Superman and the first Batman.
Old 06-30-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it was very dark, but an excellent story. I found it funny how when I compared notes with my friends, we had opposite views on the happy parts. They thought it was a nice balance to the gloomy side of the movie. I found it even more forboding because it further parallels the bad which I know happens in the comics.
Old 06-30-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got back from the midnight showing of Spider-Man 2. It was great to attend it with such an attentive crowd who was totally into this film.

Delving deeper into the sacrifice and psyche of Spider-Man and Peter Parker, the film shows us that the life of a super-hero isn't all that glamourous, but the call to duty and responsibility can't be ignored, regardless of personal ambition and desire.

I had some quibbles with the CGI, it reminded me of the Burly Brawl quality from The Matrix Reloaded when Spidey and Doc Ock were fighting each other, but it was still great to see some amazing comic book fights brought to life on the big screen with such ferocity and speed and power.

There are aspects of this film that call to mind Superman II, and the parallels of how Peter Parker tries to balance his Spider-Man persona and his Peter Parker persona. This film earns the emotional payoff in the 3rd act, and leaves the audience wanting more.

What more could you want in a sequel?

I give it 4 stars, or a grade of A.
Old 06-30-04, 01:55 AM

I also saw it at a midnight showing. It was fantastic. After Roger Ebert declaring it the best superhero movie he's ever seen, my expectations were high but were nonetheless met by a fantastic script and the right balance of emotionally poignant material and all-out action. The webslinging still looked like a video game but with rest of the film being so good, who cares? A must see!
Old 06-30-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it. OMFG it rocked!!! While the action takes a back seat to the story, the action that does occur is worth the price of admission alone. (The train fight especially.)

For me the moment that really made the movie was the last fifteen minutes
Spoiler:
in which we got to see Willem DaFoe once again! Don't know why, but his presence definitely cemented the fact that we are watching a single story. MJ's "tiger" line was the icing on the cake.

I give it a solid A.
Old 06-30-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a great movie. The theater was about 3/4 full and there were 2 midnight showings. I only saw 2 previews, though. Some Christmas movie with Tim Allen and the other was Anacondas.

I definately want to see it again.
Old 06-30-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Patman
There are aspects of this film that call to mind Superman II, and the parallels of how Peter Parker tries to balance his Spider-Man persona and his Peter Parker persona. This film earns the emotional payoff in the 3rd act, and leaves the audience wanting more.
I had the same feeling while watching it. Both films dealt with a similar theme (superhero persona vs. secret identity and how to balance them). I enjoyed Spidey 2 and thought it was an improvement over part one which I didn't particularly care for.

I'll give it *** out of ****.
Old 06-30-04, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Spoiler:
in which we got to see Willem DaFoe once again! Don't know why

comic book spoiler and maybe SM3

Spoiler:
This is a fore telling of the hobgoblin story, which i would asume be the next villian, or maybe the lizard ?

also didn;t dr. connors have only 1 arm in the comics ?

if i remember he was researching on how to regenerate his dismembered limb.

Great sequel. Much better than SM1. I don;t know how the cgi could have been better, but it is a comic book movie so maybe that's why it didn;t bother me.
Old 06-30-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe he had one arm in the movie. I noticed it early on, but maybe my eyes were just playing tricks with me.
Old 06-30-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Incredible movie, I'll be seeing this countless times for sure.
Evil Dead references aplenty, it was awesome.
Three sold-out midnight showings, the crowds were very into it.
Old 06-30-04, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by jas722
[B]comic book spoiler and maybe SM3

Spoiler:
This is a fore telling of the hobgoblin story, which i would asume be the next villian, or maybe the lizard ?
wrong, Hobgoblin was different then the second green goblin. Harry was not Hobgoblin. He was a ***** version of Green Goblin that doubted himself and everything he did as green goblin. But he did make spidey think that the daddy was still somehow alive.
Old 06-30-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
As Jack said in the original Spidey2 thread, we need some mergers up in here.
Old 06-30-04, 07:17 AM
Banned

Spiderman 2 - Wow! Really great comic book movie! Sam just kicked this thing into overdrive...everything works...the relationships more than anything...the action is incredible...its like he's taken the best of his movies...the characters and script from movies like Simple Plan and Gift and the insane action and camera tricks from Evil Dead and Darkman...its most certainly one of the best comic movies ever made...I loved that it wasnt just two hours of action...which I heard complaints of afterwords from idiots...fools that they are dont understand...this flick is old school and thats the way I like it...but the action...holy shitturds is it sweet...the train fight may just be the most kick ass action sequence of the year...up there with the fight between Bride and Elle in Kill Bill Vol. 2for me though I still think Superman 1 and 2 are the best one to punch of comic book movies ever and nothing will ever top them...but this is a good second...and hell...its even kinda made me a Spiderman fan.

10/10

my new Top 5 Comic Book movie list:

1. Superman The Movie
2. The Crow
3. Hulk
4. Spiderman 2
5. Batman Returns
Old 06-30-04, 11:38 AM

About the thing with Dr. Connors...he 100% had his right arm missing...it is very clear when he is walking away from Peter , you can see the right arm sleeve is pinned.

(thought about doing spoiler tags for this, but if Dr. Connors having/not having an arm ruins the movie for you, then that's just silly, imo)

-Joem
Old 06-30-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
[Bmy new Top 5 Comic Book movie list:

3. Hulk
[/B]
Old 06-30-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
saw it also last night, can't say enough about how great this movie was.
Old 06-30-04, 03:01 PM

saw it and loved it, spiderman 2 and X2 are the two best comic book adaptations to film i've seen. the the characterization was incredible. i felt for every chracter, even jamision. bring on venom for spidey 3.
Old 07-01-04, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by sinister
bring on venom for spidey 3.
Don't forget carnage.. Venom & carnage have been hinted as the villians of spidy3.
Old 07-01-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jezza01
Don't forget carnage.. Venom & carnage have been hinted as the villians of spidy3.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2
Old 07-01-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by jezza01
Hinted by who? Raimi has said in interviews he hates those characters, and I agree. They'd be the downfall of the series much like Mr. Freeze was for Batman.
Old 07-01-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Hinted by who? Raimi has said in interviews he hates those characters, and I agree. They'd be the downfall of the series much like Mr. Freeze was for Batman.
Oh man was Mr. Freeze horrid in Batman & Robin. What makes it so bad is the character is really great when given a good story. One need look no further than the Batman cartoon episodes focusing on him.
Old 07-01-04, 10:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so how this discussion different from "Spider-Man 2 discussion: Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!!! " thread

???

"non spoiler discussion"?
Old 07-01-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-man 2 made 38.6 million yesterday....a new Wednesday record.
Old 07-01-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think it will set any other records? Hope so!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.