Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old WWOR Channel 9 Commercials NY Area

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Old WWOR Channel 9 Commercials NY Area

For those of you in the NY area do you remember these commercials from the late 70's early 80's when you stayed home sick from school or in the morning, and watched Romper Room etc.

- Tootsie Roll Commercials with the boy and the Turtle
- Woodsy the Owl environmental commercials
- RIF Reading is Fundamental
- Those safety cartoons reminding you not to touch hot stoves, these featured an animated pot whose face would turn red and mad.
-In my area, they also showed a lot of NYC commercials like Keep NY clean, Don't Drip NY dry, and Visit the Big Apple commercials promoting subways, museums, etc.
-Tree City USA,
-The Land of Make Believe (a small theme park somewhere in the tri-state area, I never knew where)
- Young People's Day Camp (there was a talking yellow balloon)
- Westchester County Fair "Rides and Atractions... non stop action"
Old 06-25-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"One, two-HOO, three. *crunch* Three."

I also remember a PSA with O.J. surrounded by a bunch of kids telling them to eat a good breakfast, or they might start feeling "droopy".

And the one with Uncle Floyd singing
Go to Wild West City
A city runnin' wild
Go to Wild West City
Bring the missus and the child
I'll wear a ten-gallon hat
And twirl my gun
Join the posse and have some fun
Down at Wild West City
A city runnin' wild!

Tweety Bird reminded us to be careful around hot water, because it can scald "within twee seconds!"
Old 06-25-04, 03:19 PM

Uncle Floyd!!! Man I loved that guy.
Old 06-25-04, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on.. sing with me....

"Beautiful Mount Airy looodge!"

:-)
Old 06-25-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I remeber Arnold Stang for Chunky ("What a chunk o' chocolate") and Jack Guilford for the New York Library Association, Tom Carvel for Carvel Ice Cream ("Cookie Puss, it's a quality product..") and one of mty favorite local pitchmen, Crazy Eddie (His prices are INSANE!)
Old 06-25-04, 04:21 PM
Cool New Member

Ha, I remember a lot of that stuff. That "beautiful mount airy lodge" jingle was stuck in my head the other day and I haven't heard it in forever. Whoever came up with that is evil.
Old 06-25-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still see the ones with the Lightning Bug telling you "You gotta be cool with cords my friend, you gotta be cool with cords!" Telling you not to plug too many things in one outlet. That's gotta be 20 years old.
Old 06-25-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Last year I got a set of 6 VHS tapes from someone on Ebay with a total of 12 hours of TV commercials from the VCR's early years, roughly 1977-1983. Most of them seemed to be from the New York area, I'm in CA so I'd never seen them before. They included Mount Airy Lodge, lots of commercials from May's department store, all starting with a loud "Everyday's a sale day at May's!" jingle that probably had people lunging for the volume knob, with really creepy music in the background. Later on one of the tapes there's a cheap commercial with nothing but onscreen text for May's going-out-of-business sale. Several Crazy Eddie ads too, Child World, and Wal-Mart and Target years before they came out to the West coast.
This guy was selling these a few times, they usually went for a lot but I got them for less than $20. The only annoying thing is that each commercial on the tape is hand-picked and recorded separately, so you don't get to see an entire commercial break as it originally aired- they'd copy 1 commercial, pause then copy another and so on, and often don't seem to follow any particular order either. A few commercials are also in black-and-white from poor reception; I would have left those out. Now that I've got a DVD recorder I've been meaning to go through these and put the good ones in a better order, though I'm afraid the guy who made these would get mad if I sold those on Ebay.
I always check thrift stores and flea markets for old videotapes and have found some cool stuff which I'm now transferring to DVD. I've got a few from the Sacramento area where I am now but would love to find more. Right now I've got a few commercials from defunct local businesses like Tower of Shoes and Clothing.
Are there any other nuts out there with DVD recorders who are collecting old commercials? Once I get a computer that can duplicate discs I want to start a trading group.
Old 06-26-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
didn't he also do the "Stay away from power lines" ones too?

Originally posted by Mopower
I still see the ones with the Lightning Bug telling you "You gotta be cool with cords my friend, you gotta be cool with cords!" Telling you not to plug too many things in one outlet. That's gotta be 20 years old.
Old 06-27-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Crazy Eddie!
Old 06-27-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is serious!
We can make you delirious!
You should have a healthy fear of us!
Cuz too much of us is dangerous!

We're not candy!
Even though we look so fine and dandy!
When we're sick we come in handy!
But! We're not candy!

Oooooooh-No!

You know Busta Rhymes remembers that commercial.
Old 06-28-04, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread's incredible! OK, to me. I was cracking up with another friend that grew up in NY about this.

Wasn't WWOR an odd station back then? They grabbed the most random shows. Besides what's mentioned here, I remember watching overnight home shopping network on the channel late nights because I couldn't sleep. I miss my sick days from school where I'd watch reruns of Silver Spoons and more obscure 80's comedies mixed with low budget lawyer and alcohol control ads.

What else can I remember? Caesar's Bay Bazaar ads for this flea market type place in Brooklyn that's now gone...McGruff the crime dog was the national thing right?

CPA named the random low-budget day camp and amusement parks around NY I remember seeing. Count me in as one of the people that never forgot the Mt. Airy Lodge jingle. Are they still open? I need to visit there and curse them out.

Sometimes I want to visit home and watch daytime TV but I know everything's evolved and cable's taken over the random shows and cartoons and well...I probably couldn't really tolerate it as an adult maybe.
Old 06-28-04, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
This is serious!
We can make you delirious!
You should have a healthy fear of us!
Cuz too much of us is dangerous!

We're not candy!
Even though we look so fine and dandy!
When we're sick we come in handy!
But! We're not candy!

Oooooooh-No!

I remember that - for some reason I remember puppets that looked like brightly colored brillo pads all stacked up in a pyrimid or something... and they would sing the song

Am I correct

Old 06-28-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
They were pescription pills.

What about the call in contest on WPIX (11). The one where they would put an old Atari game on the screen and the 'lucky' kid would shout out 'PIX!' in order to get the guy to press the button in the joystick. If you threw like 5 touchdowns or shot 10 tanks you won a prize.

How about 'SteamPipe Alley'? A saturday morning variety show for children hosted by SEX AND THE CITY'S MARIO CANTONE!!!!!!

At Beautiful Mout airy lodge
All you have to bring
is your love of everything!
----now with the champage glass shaped hot tub!

Cookie Puss, Fudgie the Whale, Cookie O'Puss (for St. Paddys Day)

Give a hoot, dont polute
never be a dirty bird!

The RIF (reading is Fundamental) comercials were starring Jack Klugman from the Odd Couple TV show
-Hey your pretty smart, whered you learn that?
-READING!

Remember the Whooping Cough PSA with R2-D2 and C3PO?

Similar to the Land of Make Believe, how about the Haunted House at Long Branch?

Sigmund the Sea Monster, the Bugaboos, all the Kroft Superstars!

King Kong and Mighty Joe Young on every Thanksgiving Day! (Followed by the first Crazy Eddie Christmas commercials of the season).

The Joe Franklin Show (when you stayed up late)

Remember the WWOR editorials where some guy would come on and talk for a full minute during a commercial break about property tax hikes and thier affect on education (!!) and then the next commercial break, a different guy would 'counterpoint' his argument, also for a full 60 seconds!

Phil Rizzuto, Bill White and Frank Messer in the Yankee broadcast booth.

Kiners Korner

Bronx Zoo comercials with (I think) Paul Simons song
'Something tells me its all happening at the zoo!"

Luis Tiant in the Yankee Franks comercials

Garden State Brickface and Stucco, Winnocker's (sp?) Furniture, The OLD Wiz commercials 'Nobody beats the Wiz, nobody beats the Wiz!', Castro Convertables, Yonkers Raceay Flea Market (also the location of the Weschester County Fair ((Rides and attractions, non stop action, shows animals fireworks too, its about the most fun thing you can do!))

The million dollar movie on Friday nights

Kung Fu movies saturday mornings and Abbot and Costello on Sunday Mornings

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 06-28-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 12:47 PM

Land of Make Believe was a small amusement park based on fairy tales located in Upper Jay, New York. It was aimed at the under 7 age group and operated from the 50s until about the late 70s. The owner of the place had tried to get the village (a very small one) to clean out the river that flowed near the park because of flooding caused by ice in the winter. The village delayed too long and the park suffered bad damaged due to flooding and had to close. Major lost for the town since it was only a hamlet with one store and a gasoline station.
WWOR was an indep. station that operated in NYC (and later moved to NJ) from the 50s to the present. They bacame a UPN affliate when UPN first started to broadcast. They were forced to move to NJ during a licence renewal. If they hadn't agreed to move they would have lost their license.
Austin
Old 06-28-04, 01:39 PM

rides and attractions
non-stop action
shows, animals, fireworks too
a whole lot of fun things you can do
Old 06-28-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about the bumper clips on WPIX during cartoons and old shows in the afternoon that consisted of insane firework footage and super-patriotic music? That was hysterical.
Old 06-28-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Phil Rizzuto for the Money Store... Didn't WWOR have the original TV Howard Stern show where they used to plug the hell out of snapple?
Old 06-28-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by j123vt_99
Didn't WWOR have the original TV Howard Stern show where they used to plug the hell out of snapple?
Man, I have that on tape somewhere. It was brilliant. Super low-budget. I remember Iggy Pop throwing his guitar and storming off, homeless Howiewood squares, the Zodiac killer, Howard dangling a chicken on a fishing pole over the head of Richard Simmons' guests, kenneth keith kallenbach, the Ramones golfing with Bush the elder, etc... And they would complain about driving to Secaucus to do the show. It was amazing. That should come out on DVD.

ETA: Check this out: http://www.animaux.net/stern/wwor1.html
http://www.tvmegasite.net/prime/show...sternepi.shtml

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 06-28-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did WWOR have the Morton Downey show or was that syndicated?
Old 06-28-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Richard E. Hughes: "What's your opinion? We'd like to know."

As for King Kong, I think it was KK, Son of Kong, and Mighty Joe Young on Thanksgiving, and Godzilla, Godzilla vs. (enemy1), and Godzilla vs. (enemy2) on Friday.

"Magic Garden" with Carole & Paula. They were on M-Th, and were replaced on Fridays with "Joya's Fun School". I seem to be the only one who remembers Joya.
Old 06-28-04, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just thinking about Morton Downey on WWOR. They also had the old This Week in Baseball.

-Medieval Times
-WPIX's Charles Bronson & Dirty Harry marathon commercials

Last edited by grifter; 06-28-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by j123vt_99
did WWOR have the Morton Downey show or was that syndicated?

ZIP IT!!!!
Old 06-28-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to remember the shows more than the ads, although the ones already mentioned I'm familiar with. I vaguely remember the Two Guy's and Korvette's ads (the latter of which once had Julie Newmar in it, and she looked great back then) and others like for the Botanical Garden. I remember WOR aired stuff like "Bowling for Dollars" plus other game shows and (I think) Benny Hill during the evening hours.

While WOR wasn't one of my more frequently watched stations when I lived in nothern NJ, Sara Lee Kessler did keep me up at night sometimes. Several years ago, she had Penn & Teller on an interview segment (I think the noon news or something). She innocently asked Teller if he ever said anything (or ever made a sound, I forgot the exact question). Anyway, Teller casually walked up to her, as if to whisper something in her ear. Instead, he screamed at the top of his lungs for a second or two.

As for WPIX, I will remember it for my childhood afternoons in the early '70s. They aired Superman, Batman, and The Long Ranger in succession. And later, the "Pix! Pix! Pix!" Intellivision game tie-in. And course, all those great Yankees telecast. (Joy's Fun School & The Magic Garden -- gotta love Sherlock the pink squirrel! -- were WPIX shows. While I was too old for The Magic Garden, I was always annoyed that my name was never mentioned whenver Paula & Carol greeted the viewers at home!).
Old 06-28-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
What about the call in contest on WPIX (11). The one where they would put an old Atari game on the screen and the 'lucky' kid would shout out 'PIX!'
Those were Intellivison games, actually. Space Battle was one.

Don't forget all the commercials for Apex Tech -- "Sign up, and get your own set of tools!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.