Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Hair Metal" better than "Grunge"....? [....asked some guy]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is "Hair Metal" better than "Grunge"....? [....asked some guy]

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hair Metal is better than Grunge.

I just got done watching "When Metal Ruled" on VH1 and I have to say that hair/glam metal bands from the L.A. Sunset Strip era like Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, Quiet Riot and Warrant were a million times better than those lame no talent grunge "mumble mumble, I'm so sad and depressed" bands like Soundgarden and Nirvana. FACT.

come on grunge fans... prove me wrong... you can't because grunge is boring and has no talent.

I rule!

(yes, I've had a few to drink tonight! )
Old 06-24-04, 02:14 AM
Banned

Ozzy, Slayer, Black Label Society, and Black Sabbath beats hair metal and grunge any day.
Old 06-24-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by corycouger
Ozzy, Slayer, Black Label Society, and Black Sabbath beats hair metal and grunge any day.

Minus Ozzy and BLS, and Minus anything by Sabbath after SBS, and I would agree with you.
Old 06-24-04, 06:44 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Almost everything in life cycles . . . I remember the 80's metal bashing that was going on during the so "substantial" grunge-era. I also remember thinking to myself that I would one day be laughing at the site of all that flannel. That day appears to have arrived.
Old 06-24-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah? Well... Sixties psychedelia bands can soooooo beat up your hair bands.

Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Butterfield Blues Band!!

Neener, neener!!!
Old 06-24-04, 08:47 AM

I just watched "The Buddy Holly Story" and "La Bamba" last night, and Gary Busey and Lou Diamond Phillips are rock n' roll gods. Burn in hell, Beatles...you stole our music!

Last edited by jonnyrocks; 06-24-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-24-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm, I liked a few hair bands...most were crap trying to catch on to a scene (which was a blast at the time) by going through their GF's clothes and getting hair extensions... but to say Soundgarden (which in my opinion was metal not grunge) , Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam were lame or boring etc. is pure rubbish.

You may not like it but there was some pretty good bands that are clumped into that genre. Sure some were boring but just because I like Willy Wonka does not mean I cannot like Citizen Kane
Old 06-24-04, 02:14 PM

There are legendary, good, and shitty bands in every era. I'm still trying to figure out which of the groups that have emerged in the last 5-10 years will one day be considered legendary. I can't even think of more than maybe 10 really good bands currently making music.

It seems most new bands these days are either
1) bland and boring...good enough for a few radio hits but I could care less to see them live (*cough*3 Doors Down*cough*)

2) pretentious art/private school schmucks trying to perpetuate an ultra-hip attitude while sporting 70s haircuts and playing sloppy second-rate garage rock

3) skinny dudes in tight tees nasally whining about how some ex dumped them...but the way they put it, something like "she tore out my bleeding heart" and other overdramatic shit (sorry, i'm a college-aged female, and Dashboard Confessional and their clones don't do it for me)

In a perfect world, I would have been able to see groups like The Beatles, The Stones, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Van Halen, The Who, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, U2, The Doors, AC-DC, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, etc. in concert in their prime.

Are there any rock bands that have come out recently that have really seemed exciting and interesting to any of you? I try to keep up with new music, but most rock to me these days is just crap. Even Lollapalooza couldn't get many people interested. I'm not saying rock is ailing, but something's missing.
Old 06-24-04, 02:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hair Metal is better than Grunge.

Originally posted by turborobb
I just got done watching "When Metal Ruled" on VH1 and I have to say that hair/glam metal bands from the L.A. Sunset Strip era like Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, Quiet Riot and Warrant were a million times better than those lame no talent grunge "mumble mumble, I'm so sad and depressed" bands like Soundgarden and Nirvana.
I liked the grunge when it came out, and don't dislike it now. But I rarely ever pop in Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Yet I listen to my Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Faster Pussycat, Cinderella, 80s Alice Cooper, etc. all the time.

So, yeah.
Old 06-24-04, 02:42 PM
Suspended

There was no such thing as "Grundge" music. Grundge was an image. As to which is better, whatever. Dead horse. You like what you like and let those who like Alternative like what they like. Opinion does not equate to a fact by the way, its what it is... an opinion.
Old 06-24-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
The hair-bands were definitely more embarrasing than anyone in the "grunge" era.
At the time I thought their music was total crap, and their image was so fake and ridiculous.

I was never a fan of grunge (or whatever it's called) but I was so greateful they came on the scene and killed off the hair-bands.

Grunge was the lesser of two evils IMO.
Old 06-24-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's see hair-metal or grunge, "hmmm" without a doubt hair-metal by a landslide in my opinion, seeing that i grew up in the fabulous 80's that's an easy choice for me, although like many people that love hair-metal "like myself" dislike grunge, not me i really enjoy alice in chains and soundgarden but that is about it for me on grunge, well maybe a few songs by pearl jam and nirvana, well i'm off to play some air guitar currently jamming one of my alltime favorite cd's RATT - INVASION OF YOUR PRIVACY...
Old 06-24-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have a lack of communication
Old 06-24-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
The "Pop-Metal" bands of the 80's were a hell of a lot of fun. I can't think of a single "Grunge" or Alternative band out of the 90's that was genuinely fun.

Most of the "Hair Metal" (revisionist history term not used back in the day) bands had top notch musicians who were trying to earn their money by giving their fans a big show as a distraction from their daily problems. "Grunge" bands did not (for the most part) feature musicians as technically accomplished as the "Pop Metal" bands did. "Grunge" bands didn't offer their fans an escape from their daily problems - they reminded them of just how bad their lives were.

Artistically, yeah, "Grunge" probably wins the day, but when it comes to pure entertainment value Pop Metal comes out way, way ahead.
Old 06-24-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by B5Erik
The "Pop-Metal" bands of the 80's were a hell of a lot of fun. I can't think of a single "Grunge" or Alternative band out of the 90's that was genuinely fun.

Most of the "Hair Metal" (revisionist history term not used back in the day) bands had top notch musicians who were trying to earn their money by giving their fans a big show as a distraction from their daily problems. "Grunge" bands did not (for the most part) feature musicians as technically accomplished as the "Pop Metal" bands did. "Grunge" bands didn't offer their fans an escape from their daily problems - they reminded them of just how bad their lives were.

I had a extrememly better time during the 80's metal than I did during the 90's. I kinda grew up in between, somewhere during 1985 & 1995, so I was able to experience both. I'd go back and see a "hair" metal band everytime over the depressing "grunge".
Old 06-25-04, 10:02 AM

While both genres had an "image" and all of this is subjective I'd go with grunge because hair metal seemed to be more focused around image and getting chicks and totally cashing in on the bandwagon fame more than the music. Meanwhile these grunge artists were rocking out despite the current trends (aquanet & spandex) and what was deemed cool at the time. The musical climate just happened to change in their favor and then they got huge, but never cheesy like most hair metal bands, they stayed focused on the music. Who cares though, it's what you enjoy.

What was even better than both of these genres you might ask???? How about the REAL METAL OF THE 80's that you didn't see on MTV or on the radio.

* Metallica
*Slayer
*Iron Maiden
*Priest
*Megadeth
*Kreator
*Death Angel etc.........
Old 06-25-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grew up during the "fabulous" 80's and had to endure the crap that was hair metal. The arrival of Nirvana, PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc. was a breath of fresh air. I'm sorry that I, along with millions of others who couldn't always relate to the poetic lyrics of "Wanted, Dead Or Alive" or "Home Sweet Home" liked and appeciated talented musicians who weren't worried about how much eye shadow they had on. Look, I don't begrudge anyone listening to anything they want, to each his own. I'm just tired of seeing the same old complaints about hair metal being killed off by grunge, let it go and move on. All musical styles go in cycles, hair metal and grunge are no different.
Old 06-25-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by woofman
What was even better than both of these genres you might ask???? How about the REAL METAL OF THE 80's that you didn't see on MTV or on the radio.

* Metallica
*Slayer
*Iron Maiden
*Priest
*Megadeth
*Kreator
*Death Angel etc.........
I thought when Metallica finally released a video 'One' it was played on MTV constantly...actually was sick of it. And Judas Priest/Megadeth was played a bit as well.
Old 06-25-04, 02:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Dubya
I'm just tired of seeing the same old complaints about hair metal being killed off by grunge, let it go and move on. All musical styles go in cycles, hair metal and grunge are no different.
Exactly. There are some hair metal fanatics on this board who continually blame & bash Alternative for the demise of their "hair metal" when in fact it was hair metal that killed itself. By the late 80's and early 90's mainstream metal was an absolute joke becoming a parody of itself. Even the members of those bands admit this if you watched a VH1 special recently (I forget the name).

Alternative (I still call it hard rock) WAS a breath of fresh air. And this is coming from someone who was very into hair metal back then. Let it go.
Old 06-25-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
Exactly. There are some hair metal fanatics on this board who continually blame & bash Alternative for the demise of their "hair metal" when in fact it was hair metal that killed itself.
I agree, it ran its course and that was it. The strong survived (or changed) read: Bon Jovi...just like Grunge ran its course.

Although it was fun....and too old now to go through that again.
Old 06-25-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Soundgarden were "mumble mumble, I'm so sad and depressed"? Like whatever.
Old 06-25-04, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Aghama
Soundgarden were "mumble mumble, I'm so sad and depressed"? Like whatever.
The hair metal fanatics use Nirvana's style and stereocast every band like that.
Old 06-25-04, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Flashback
I thought when Metallica finally released a video 'One' it was played on MTV constantly...
That was the beginning of the end....... and not just because of the extra exposure.

Priest and deth' didn't get heavy rotation on tv or radio by any means back then, and I guess what I meant was that I felt these metal bands were really in their hey day during the whole 80's hair metal scene yet they were almost totally seperate.
Old 06-25-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by woofman
That was the beginning of the end....... and not just because of the extra exposure.

Priest and deth' didn't get heavy rotation on tv or radio by any means back then, and I guess what I meant was that I felt these metal bands were really in their hey day during the whole 80's hair metal scene yet they were almost totally seperate.
I agree totally (much better bands and saw them live many times). I just thought that some of these bands did start to break through on MTV. I remember seeing a lot of Priest and M'Deth but it is probably my senile mind telling me so. See what happened to me from that time?
Old 06-26-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Apples and oranges.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.